Trying to get a price on figurines
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 pm 

Okay so here's the deal. I stumbled upon this site trying to get some prices hopefully for my girlfriends father. He currently has three miniature sets he sadly needs to part with as times are hard. All three sets have tattered shrink, but the shrink is original and never been opened. The first set is an AD&D Grenadier 5001 The dungeon explorers. The seconds is the AD&D 5002 Monsters The third set is a rare Wizzards and Warriors Tomb of Spells which later became the AD&D box 5004 of the same name. This is the original box including the Djinni, Effret, Umberhulk and the Minataur. If you guys could help me out with a possible pricing I would be super grateful.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:21 am 

The shrink might be tattered, but what kind of shape are the boxes in? Assuming they are not crushed or otherwise damaged, I'm guessing you could get $30+ for the first two, and $50+ for the Wizzards & Warriors set. Getting that Umber Hulk with his mandibles is not too easy, so that helps your cause for sure.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 am 

Yeah I see what you're saying. The boxes are all in reasonably good condition. One box has a little tear on the top right corner. I've seen the same box of the 5001 priced on eBay for 200 opened and in a little worse condition. I don't plan on that being reliable though. Additionally the owner of my local card, comic and game shop said he's seen some of the newer 15 sets go for anywhere from 15-50. Again seeing as how I'm generally a tcg player this is not my area of expertise.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm 

seightz wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:Yeah I see what you're saying. The boxes are all in reasonably good condition. One box has a little tear on the top right corner. I've seen the same box of the 5001 priced on eBay for 200 opened and in a little worse condition. I don't plan on that being reliable though. Additionally the owner of my local card, comic and game shop said he's seen some of the newer 15 sets go for anywhere from 15-50. Again seeing as how I'm generally a tcg player this is not my area of expertise.

The prices TollHouseGolem gave are a good guideline.  Selling prices on eBay are not a good guideline.  Sold (completed) prices are much better indicator of what you'll probably receive once condition differences are factored in.  There are other factors which can affect prices, but they usually aren't as important as condition.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 am 

If you can post pictures of the boxes to this thread, you may get some interest here...   :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 am 

I would not go by what people here post.  

You will never get these sets in shrink for $30. I've seen them go for 100+ easily (I know I would pay that.)

Also, look at the "Updated" prices for Box sets and modules on here. Values show you could get shrink basic and AD&D modules for $15-20 and box sets in shrink for $20-$30  :lol: Expedition to Barrier peak -$14 or in shrink $21...updated 2013??? I would by a dozen copies at that price. Ravenloft $11, so in shrink that would be $16 :roll:

Go by SOLD prices on Ebay etc.

Last edited by Super77777 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am 

Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:You will never get these sets in shrink for $30. I've seen them go for 100+ easily (I know I would pay that.)

seightz, it looks like you have a buyer!  Sell each of these three sets to Super77777 for $100.00 each and call it a good day.  Problem solved!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 am 

Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:I would not go by what people here post.  

You will never get these sets in shrink for $30. I've seen them go for 100+ easily (I know I would pay that.)

Also, look at the "Updated" prices for Box sets and modules on here. Supposedly you could get shrink basic and AD&D modules for $15-20 and box sets in shrink for $20-$30  :lol: Expedition to Barrier peak -$14 or in shrink $21...updated 2013??? I would by a dozen copies at that price. Ravenloft $11, so in shrink that would be $16 :roll:

Go by SOLD prices on Ebay etc. It's pretty said that people here are trying to under value things to get a better price from someone.

Shrink is such a crap shoot; the prices fluctuate wildly depending on several different factors. I've absolutely won AD&D modules, in the shrink, for $15 each. It just depends on the module. Furthermore, if you were an active member on this site, and with 16 posts clearly you are not, you'd know a new Valuation Board was selected and we are hard at work updating some of the more incorrect prices on the website. Where's your website with up to date and researched prices? Oh, you don't have one? Yeah, this is my surprised face.

Nobody on this board is going to low ball prices on one of these public posts. The rest of us would jump all over that person for being a douche in three seconds flat. If, in your opinion, the prices quoted above were low, then add your opinion. No need to accuse anyone. Hell, send the guy a message, offer him a fair price, and move on with your day! THAT would actually be constructive.

Zen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 am 

Zenfinite wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:
Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:I would not go by what people here post.  

Also, look at the "Updated" prices for Box sets and modules on here. Supposedly you could get shrink basic and AD&D modules for $15-20 and box sets in shrink for $20-$30  :lol: Expedition to Barrier peak -$14 or in shrink $21...updated 2013??? I would by a dozen copies at that price. Ravenloft $11, so in shrink that would be $16 :roll:

Go by SOLD prices on Ebay etc. It's pretty said that people here are trying to under value things to get a better price from someone.

Shrink is such a crap shoot; the prices fluctuate wildly depending on several different factors. I've absolutely won AD&D modules, in the shrink, for $15 each. It just depends on the module. Furthermore, if you were an active member on this site, and with 16 posts clearly you are not, you'd know a new Valuation Board was selected and we are hard at work updating some of the more incorrect prices on the website. Where's your website with up to date and researched prices? Oh, you don't have one? Yeah, this is my surprised face.

Nobody on this board is going to low ball prices on one of these public posts. The rest of us would jump all over that person for being a douche in three seconds flat. If, in your opinion, the prices quoted above were low, then add your opinion. No need to accuse anyone. Hell, send the guy a message, offer him a fair price, and move on with your day! THAT would actually be constructive.

Zen

Not intended as an accusation, I am pointing out that the valuations are not worthwhile.  Not saying you couldn't get things for low prices, but using that as a value is not being genuine.

I don't need a website to know how much something is worth. I have been in the hobby for 35 years, and been a buyer and seller. Sorry if it was offensive, but they seem like lowball prices to me (someone who has scoured the Earth looking for these items.)

Sorry, I won't offer my observations anymore on your site.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 am 

benjoshua wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:
Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:You will never get these sets in shrink for $30. I've seen them go for 100+ easily (I know I would pay that.)

seightz, it looks like you have a buyer!  Sell each of these three sets to Super77777 for $100.00 each and call it a good day.  Problem solved!   :)

Yeah, if you still have them shoot me a PM.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm 

I stand by my estimates. I said the seller could expect $30+ and $50+ meaning they could potentially get more than $30 and $50. It would be wrong to tell a seller to easily expect $100 for those sets when that is not the norm. I've tracked a lot of the Grenadier sets over the past couple of years on my blog, and I don't recall seeing too many Gold Line sets selling for over $100. The Monster Manuscripts, on the other hand, have consistently done well. And by that I mean $100+ for mint boxes in shrink.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm 

As an aside, the prices for S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks were last updated in 2008.  As it clearly states on the Index.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:02 pm 

Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:Not intended as an accusation, I am pointing out that the valuations are not worthwhile.  Not saying you couldn't get things for low prices, but using that as a value is not being genuine.

I don't need a website to know how much something is worth. I have been in the hobby for 35 years, and been a buyer and seller. Sorry if it was offensive, but they seem like lowball prices to me (someone who has scoured the Earth looking for these items.)

Anyone who really knows about the RPG marketplace knows how volatile it is.  Also most realize that shrink collectors are a breed of their own and willing to sometimes pay huge sums for one piece but other times not.  Also worth pointing out that "tattered shrink" usually means that the shrink is basically falling off and in most cases, this would not be of interest to a shrink collector.  Wear on the box and tattered shrink is not going to get you the high prices - near mint box with tight shrink will command a premium (these two conditions are not even close).

I also find it funny that you start spouting off about "valuations are not worthwhile", and "I don't need a website", blah blah blah when that is why you showed up here in the first place and have started threads asking exactly that:

Here are some links to your threads asking for valuations in case you forgot.

Campaign Hex System

Value of Ultra Rare Modules (Palace of VQ and LCOT)

Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign (1977) First Print

Super77777 wrote in Trying to get a price on figurines:Sorry, I won't offer my observations anymore on your site.

Probably best since your opinions are not meant to further the discussion and don't really contribute anything since they aren't backed up by any reference/evidence/proof/reasoning aside from what seems to be your newly acquired expert knowledge.