My "collection"
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:32 am 

Unfortunately, I'm parting with my collection due to ill health. My counsellor considers it a link back to past issues and I'm hiding away in my memories and its causing me health issues and stress as a result, due to the reasons of going back to my childhood in that way.

So, my meagre amount of collection is going. It's got random things like Dreadmire, along with 'rarities' like TS! Magazine and Anduin booklets, an early signed (by BB) PSG 1st adventure to which I contributed artwork, Hardcover 1st Ed books and possibly my GMPubs 1-5, the recent Premium 1st Ed books reprinted by WotC as new and a few more bits and pieces.
Also going will be various RPG inspired board games which may or may not be of interest.

I guess I'll fire the items on the Classified list here, but if anyone's interested in anything, please PM me

I may also need Foul to pull my account eventually, once it's gone.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 am 

ashmire13 wrote in My "collection":I may also need Foul to pull my account eventually, once it's gone.

While I can't speak for everyone, I'd like to say that I am proud of your willingness to deal head on with any problem you and your counselor have determined to be a problem.  The brain is a strange thing and your health should be more important that any of your possessions.  Hopefully this process can get you on the right track and you'll be able to return here from time to time to visit.  Whether you have a collection or not is not a requirement to enjoy our company, such that it is.  It's not like we're the most loving community, but there are a lot of great people here.  Please know that we wish you the best with your health.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am 

benjoshua wrote in My "collection":While I can't speak for everyone...  Please know that we wish you the best with your health.   8)

You can speak for me, good luck ashmire.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 am 

Best wishes for your health as well.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am 

It always saddens me that someone has to get rid of their collection, an obvious love.

Get weller, first.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 pm 

Looking at it from another angle... your counsellor 'considers'???

Does he/she have a some scientific evidence via some test proving a causal link? If not, I'd be dubious on any 'diagnosis'. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't have some piece of their childhood still with them.

Granted, there are no details in the OP, so we don't know the story, but from what I've seen in my personal life, the 'medical establishment' has a horrible track record. So, it's no surprise that my trust is somewhat lacking.  :x

Hope everything turns out for the best, but the mantra of 'second opinions' comes to mind.  :)

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm 

Do what you need to get well, obviously.

To Toad's point, I do wonder if there is a less extreme option that might help.  Do you have a friend or fellow collector nearby who could store everything for you?  See if that helps.  See how you're doing in six months or a year.  You could then sell or recover everything, depending on how you're doing.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm 

Whatever you decide to do, be aware that some connections are never entirely severed. There is no way to completely erase a friendship or a family tragedy, for example; memories are not easily forgotten, if at all. All we can hope for is learning to live with them along the way.

Good luck with your therapy and God bless all your days.

:salut:

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm 

Get Well! Priority number one.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in My "collection":Unfortunately, I'm parting with my collection due to ill health. My counsellor considers it a link back to past issues and I'm hiding away in my memories and its causing me health issues and stress as a result, due to the reasons of going back to my childhood in that way.

So, my meagre amount of collection is going. It's got random things like Dreadmire, along with 'rarities' like TS! Magazine and Anduin booklets, an early signed (by BB) PSG 1st adventure to which I contributed artwork, Hardcover 1st Ed books and possibly my GMPubs 1-5, the recent Premium 1st Ed books reprinted by WotC as new and a few more bits and pieces.
Also going will be various RPG inspired board games which may or may not be of interest.

I guess I'll fire the items on the Classified list here, but if anyone's interested in anything, please PM me

I may also need Foul to pull my account eventually, once it's gone.

A few things that are irreplaceable (like the signed adventure you contributed to) might be better boxed up and stored out of sight for awhile.

Otherwise, good luck to you

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 pm 

David,
Although I have never met you face to face, I consider you a friend. I wish you nothing but a speedy and full recovery. I know you have had a tough of go of it lately and just do what you need to do. I will never forget how much support you gave to a very young Pacesetter Games & Simulations. Your name never disappear from the credits of T1. You have my gratitude and prayers.
Bill Barsh

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:47 am 

I know that giving away for free anything related to the past which causes you health strives accelerate the recovery! In this case i will PM you my address to help you in that!  :P

Seriously: all the best for your health, it is the most precious thing we have!

ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:18 am 

Thank you all for the kind comments. I've considered retaining the items or putting them aside elsewhere, but I don't think I can pass away the reasons why I find myself coming back to the hobby if I did, so I need to sell/ give away my collection, which isn't much, so I can forget and move on.

I even may part with my original AD&D books, but I am struggling with that thought at the moment.

For all those who've PMd me as well, thank you.

I will also be putting all my items up in a list over this weekend in the classifieds, if anyone's interested in any of it?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am 

Of course I am interested, but would rather see them stay with you... just not right.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am 

ashmire13 wrote in My "collection":Thank you all for the kind comments. I've considered retaining the items or putting them aside elsewhere, but I don't think I can pass away the reasons why I find myself coming back to the hobby if I did, so I need to sell/ give away my collection, which isn't much, so I can forget and move on.

I even may part with my original AD&D books, but I am struggling with that thought at the moment.

For all those who've PMd me as well, thank you.

I will also be putting all my items up in a list over this weekend in the classifieds, if anyone's interested in any of it?

Give them to someone who will put them away for you and hold them, and perhaps you might feel differently in a few years.  From personal experience, I know of a close friend that was told by his church to burn his "satanic" items some 30+ years ago, which included his entire music, comic book and game collections.   He has regretted it to this day, 30 years later.  Remember, gone is GONE.  But I will add I hope you feel better and we see you around here again in the future.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 pm 

I have never met you, and this might seem forward. I apologize beforhand. From your posts and the response here, I see you are a respected member of the Acaeum. I know I am just a newbie (and probably am not alone here in proposing this), but here goes:

If you want, I can store items for you. I don't have a warehouse, but can store a few boxes. I couldn't be responsible for loss, but it still might be better than disposing them. If you ship 'em, I'll store 'em for as long as I am able; think in terms of years.

Mike is right. Forever is really that. Maybe your health issues won't be the same in 10 years. Anything I, rather we, can do.

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm 

Do what ya gotta do. Just be sure it's what you decide is best.

[Red Green]I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together.[/Red Green]

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 am 

SimperingToad wrote in My "collection":Do what ya gotta do. Just be sure it's what you decide is best.

[Red Green]I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together.[/Red Green]

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'm considering giving my original books to my brother to hold, along with all my home brew, notes and print outs, rather than just dumping the paperwork.

As for the rest of the books I've bought over the years, I will just let them go, it's what I feel comfortable doing, it's almost like a relief.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Next