Daystar West Rahasia and Pharaoh up for sale!!!!
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 am 

On eBay I could hardly believe my eyes they just magically popped up for sale tonight. The prices are high but they are beyond pristine. 2900.00 and 3250.00. What do you think worth the price??who could argue they are so rare its a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am crying cause I would love to have them with all my heart in my collection but that type of item I can sadly say will never be found in my collection its just out of my league and budget, but a guy can dream right!I should hav saved my money for times like these. So check them out before theyr gone and tell me what you think the value should be.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 am 

Rare yes, but certainly not once in a lifetime.
I have only been collecting for a few years and I have seen about a half-dozen copies of each for sale myself (e-Bay and private).
And these copies are way overpriced IMO; more than double the suggested valuations posted here...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13217

This is a link to a thread regarding these same two books.
They were listed for the same exact prices, but THOSE copies were sold directly by the author....
The auction links in the first post are dead now, but the discussion is still relevant.

These may be the same copies though as the seller is the same e-Bay ID.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 am 

If you read the auction closely you will notice that these are another set of copies that the Tracy Hickman's Daughter found in a box.  Author's copies  :D

I was pretty surprised when the first set got those high prices, very curious to see how these ones go!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm 

Wow, I wonder how the last buyer(s) feel having another set of one-of-a-kind author copies appear.  I would be surprised if there were takers at these prices.  :?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:36 pm 

One guy bought both last time, I agree it sounds a little fishy to me.  I am happy I got these years ago :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 pm 

I wager they're worth about $5.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm 

copycat wrote:I wager they're worth about $5.

Pretty idiotic thing to say!!

I think the range of $1400 - $1700 is realistic.  Anybody with some $5 copies and send all they have to me.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 pm 

...each.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm 

Yeah, I'd say $1200-$1400 myself. I wasn't horribly impressed with them, but they ARE pretty rare. Unlike tourney mods, though, these came in a book form, so the chances of one surviving in good condition are higher.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:

Pretty idiotic thing to say!!

I think the range of $1400 - $1700 is realistic.  Anybody with some $5 copies and send all they have to me.

Realistic prices encourages that price...

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 pm 

They will probably go for more than the typical price.  Pharoah typically tracks around $1000-$1300, Rahasia a little more at around $1100-$1500.  Even though these are not *unique*, they are in really nice shape, and the direct historical connection and provenance to the author, that's definitely a real plus.

If they don't go for the BIN, which is possible if someone places enough value on the historical connection and provenance, I think Blackmoor's estimation is pretty close.  Who knows though, these two are wildcards.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm 

I've seen copies for sale i guess I was just a little excited but they are in really really nice shape so nice I too thought it was a little fishy but who knows apparently verifiable according to them how I'm not sure not enough info and no way to contact even if you had a question. The prices in this economy, although before anyone yells at me doesn't always effect the value of these types of collectibles, I felt were pretty high. I just wanted to hear some other opinions and i'm glad for the response.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm 

The 5 dol comment was pretty funny i do have to say!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm 

I, for one, was serious.  They aren't items I'm interested in, so their value to me would be minimal, outside of instantly reselling them, of course.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 pm 

Mine has a sticker price of $7.50 though I'd probably add a couple bucks for inflation....

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 pm 

Surprisingly, the last set did sell at the asking prices (roughly double fair value).  I guess the premium was for getting the last... err.... second to last copy from the author.  The story of their provenance is believable now, if they turn up a third copy in three months, very fishy.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am 

Ah, but that's the trick, Gruggie. The person who bought the last set could obviously assume that he/she was getting the last copies the author had. Now, miraculously, another set turns up for the same price. If I were the one who bought the last set of copies, I'd be pretty steamed.
Personally I'm going to wait for the fifth set. I think the price will go down by then.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:

I think the range of $1400 - $1700 is realistic.

Whether or not it's the last copy, or the second to last copy, they're in great condition and worth at least that much.

And this wouldn't be the only situation where there was more than one "author's copy"...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord