Jeff Perren
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm 

Here's a toughie, regarding Jeff Perren's autograph.

He co-wrote two TSR/Guidon products:

Cavaliers and Roundheads (1st product released by Tactical Studies Rules)
Chainmail (Guidon 1st/2nd, TSR 3rd+)

Note that in DB5, the "LGTSA Miniatures Rules" were by "Perren & Gygax"; the order was reversed only after Gary did considerable rewriting/editing/reorganizing, the whole appearing as "Chainmail". He was thus arguably a seminal figure, 'godfather' of D&D itself.

Jeff Perren passed away about 5-6 years ago. (Still trying to pin down the exact date.)

The problem with evaluating the value of his autograph is threefold:

1. Perren was unappreciated in his time, and very few asked him for autographs
2. After 1990, Perren did not attend many Events (conventions etc), for health and personal reasons
3. Many collectors consider a product with any marks (including autographs) to be Defaced

Disregarding the last point as being specific to condition-hunters, the central problem in valuation is that the autograph is extraordinarily rare, and literally no precedent sales can be found in any records.

I have seen 4 Jeff Perren autographs in 40 years. None were for sale.

So:

Anybody got ANY data of ANY kind on this valuation?

If not... anybody got a guess?

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:28 pm 

Is it an autograph by itself -- like on a piece of paper -- or is it on a D&D item that he authored, or didn't author?

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:20 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Is it an autograph by itself -- like on a piece of paper -- or is it on a D&D item that he authored, or didn't author?

Heya boss! ;>

This is a hypothetical discussion, but I'd think the autograph most likely either on a game item he owned (he owned a lot of vintage wargames), or on something he wrote.

But not considering a scrap of a phonebook, in the margin. ;>

Ones I've seen are on products he wrote, fwiw.

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 pm 

I'd think it would only enhance the value, especially considering the rarity of his autograph and his place in the origination of D&D.  His autograph on a Chainmail?  I'd say 50% more.  Gygax's autograph on the same item?  Maybe 10% (he signed a lot).

Personalization ("To my best friend Betty") might detract some, to some folks.

My 2 cents.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 pm 

I agree with the previous assessment of an increase. Maybe not 50%, but I would think a reasonable amount like 25 to 35% with an exponential increase as decades pass on. The rarity is definitely more desirable than a Gygax or similar author\game-designer who was a prolific name signer. Again only one my opinion. Personal messages are undesirable unless written to another recognizable famous or "infamous" person.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm 

Timetravaler wrote:I agree with the previous assessment of an increase. Maybe not 50%, but I would think a reasonable amount like 25 to 35% with an exponential increase as decades pass on. The rarity is definitely more desirable than a Gygax or similar author\game-designer who was a prolific name signer. Again only one my opinion. Personal messages are undesirable unless written to another recognizable famous or "infamous" person.

~ 20% ish

The rarity of the autograph vs. the popularity of the man.

If you ask the common man who Gary Gygax is vs. who Jeff Perren is, I think that is what would go against the value of his autograph. And because of that the people interested in his autograph would be a smaller group.

Unless it was his personal copy of course...  :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm 

Was Perrenland in the World of Greyhawk named after him?  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 am 

I think it would really depend on the market at the time, more so than usual. You'd have to find someone who either wanted the autograph, which is pretty rare, or someone who needed the item and didn't care about an autograph, also rare. Personally I'd not bid more for an autographed item, but I am probably the exception. I never cared much for autographs; just a scribble of ink.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 am 

Deadlord wrote in Jeff Perren:I think it would really depend on the market at the time, more so than usual. You'd have to find someone who either wanted the autograph, which is pretty rare, or someone who needed the item and didn't care about an autograph, also rare. Personally I'd not bid more for an autographed item, but I am probably the exception. I never cared much for autographs; just a scribble of ink.

i am the same.
Al

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:49 am 

Hello all,

My name is Victoria Ricks Perren-Cserep.
I am not sure where you have gotten the information that my dad has passed away. I can assure you he is alive and kicking and still painting,writing historical battle rules,and gaming with select friends when he can. :)  He did temporarily drop out of society back in '07 due to some health issues and he is now living in a nursing home. He has slowly started to emerge again as his health has improved.
As for his 'autograph',I believe I have the best one out there. He signed a copy of Chainmail to me and inscribed it "To my darling daughter"and so forth and so on. I forget the printing but it is the silver covered one.
As for the question I saw on one of the posts about "Perrenland" from the world of "Greyhawk",I was always told by my dad that yes,it was named after him and quite a few of the 'other' old gang from back in the day.

Hope this helps anyone out there.
If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]
I am Jeff's only surviving child and if you were to do a google search on his name you would find my brother and sisters obits along with me mentioned with my married name of Cserep.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:33 am 

VictoriaPerren wrote in Jeff Perren:Hope this helps anyone out there.
If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]
I am Jeff's only surviving child and if you were to do a google search on his name you would find my brother and sisters obits along with me mentioned with my married name of Cserep.

Victoria, thank you so much for responding on these forums and providing this important information.  This information does help and is the kind of stuff we love to know.  We hope your dad's health continues to improve so he can enjoy life in whatever form he wishes.

I have a question; has he written or painted anything within the past ten years that he's published or would like to publish?  I would not be surprised if there are some people on these forums who could make that happen, not that I am promising anything.  I am guessing that most people on these forums would be interested in seeing what he's been up to, especially if it is war gaming related.

Thank you again for sharing this great news.  We wish you and your dad all the best.   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm 

My dad has been painting again.
I know he does paint for some of his friends and sells figures {troops} to them.
He had been declared legally blind a few years back but has since had laser surgery to correct both eyes. Imagine my surprise at seeing him without glasses for the first time in my life!

I will check with him about what he has written and if he is interested in trying to publish anything. I know he took Gary's death pretty hard and took a break for awhile after he passed away.

Thank you for the well wishes,I will tell him he is still thought of by some and given some of the credit that he deserves. I think he has always felt a bit unappreciated all these years so this will give him a good smile{and if you ever met my dad,a couple of smart ass comments as well}
:)
Luckily for me I inherited his wonderful,dry,and witty attitude,along with his love for history!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm 

Hiya Victoria! Apologies; I missed the nature of this update, earlier...

Ah; that's rare good news, thank you! :) :)

Many thanks for taking the time to drop in and correct matters and please pass on thanks for invaluable services rendered!
In this day and age there shouldn't be an excuse for the old history book trick of remembering only one or two names for a given context at the "expense" of all the other people who put heart and soul into the work: goodness knows that Jeff was a lynchpin in this particular history right there at the start. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"