Old Grenadier Figurine Kits
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm 

Hello Everyone, I hope you are all well. It has been a long time since I was on here. For the last year and a half my wife and I have been on a job relocation odyssey. We are finally AND permanently installed in Edmond, Oklahoma (suburb of Oklahoma City). We are very happy here and looking forward to not moving again unless we want to. While we were unpacking some boxes that I had not seen the contents of since 2007, I came across a few figurine sets in boxes. I found complete Grenadier Masterpiece Editions  The Death Dragon of the Undead Legion and the War Chariot of the Undead Legion and the Monster Manuscript Vol. I. All the boxes are complete and in relatively good condition. All also have the inserts that came with the sets. I looked on eBay and saw the Death Dragon going for a large chunk of funds. Any thoughts on the value of these or any interest in them would be welcome. I may sell off my collection in the next few months to help finance home improvements. If I do this the Acaeum will be the first place I go to.

BTW - any Acaeum members in this area of the country? I would love to find a 1st edition AD&D game to join.

Sincerely, John Pleveich

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 pm 

Glad you have finally settled into a new place, and also pleased to hear you've found some long lost treasures.  The sets you describe will give you some good returns, but nothing spectacular.  The Death Dragon and War Chariot of the Undead Legion will probably get you $25 to $35 each.  The Monster Manuscript Vol. I boxed set will likely get you $20 to $25.00.  Condition is critical in the amount you'll get.  The same sets in shrink would go for twice as much.  I recommend you list them as soon as possible on eBay for two reasons; more people shop on eBay when the weather outside is frightful, and I personally believe 25mm miniatures are fading from the landscape.

Reaper is now mass producing a line of 28mm minis in quality plastic which are cheaper and hold several advantages over metal minis.  They don't break easily when dropped, they don't require primer, and they are lighter which makes them easier to transport.  They are also less expensive than comparable metal minis.  Plus, 28mm has been the primary minis standard for many years now for most major manufacturers.  Get out while the gettin's good.  

Finally, I'd sell them individually and not all in one lot.  Good luck!  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm 

I also think selling them individually is your best bet, and benjoshua's prices seem about right. The UK-based seller on eBay that you might be referencing is asking crazy stupid prices, and you could ask them, but I doubt you'll get them.

There's always going to be some leadhead out there looking for vintage 25mm stuff, so I don't think the demand is going to dry up anytime soon.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm 

Thank you both so much for your thoughts on these. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your suggestions and help. I will discuss these with my better half and see if we should put them up for sale or not. If we do, I will get them up rather quickly.

John P.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 am 

pleveich wrote:Hello Everyone, I hope you are all well. It has been a long time since I was on here. For the last year and a half my wife and I have been on a job relocation odyssey. We are finally AND permanently installed in Edmond, Oklahoma (suburb of Oklahoma City). We are very happy here and looking forward to not moving again unless we want to. While we were unpacking some boxes that I had not seen the contents of since 2007, I came across a few figurine sets in boxes. I found complete Grenadier Masterpiece Editions  The Death Dragon of the Undead Legion and the War Chariot of the Undead Legion and the Monster Manuscript Vol. I. All the boxes are complete and in relatively good condition. All also have the inserts that came with the sets. I looked on eBay and saw the Death Dragon going for a large chunk of funds. Any thoughts on the value of these or any interest in them would be welcome. I may sell off my collection in the next few months to help finance home improvements. If I do this the Acaeum will be the first place I go to.

BTW - any Acaeum members in this area of the country? I would love to find a 1st edition AD&D game to join.

Sincerely, John Pleveich

Edmond? That's right up the road from Dallas/Fort Worth, I hope you are making plans for NTRPG con this June!  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:38 pm 

My 8-year-old son Ethan used to attend wrestling meets down in OK, and it's pretty close to Wichita (1.5-2 hour drive IIRC).  So, if you're interested in popping up our way for a game sometime, let me know :D  (One of our members also relocated down to OK, so I'll also try to find out where; IIRC, he's in the OK City area as well).

If you want to avoid the eBay fees, I'm happy to buy them too :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm 

John---

If you're interested, the guy from our crew who's in your neck of the woods lives in Guthrie, and he works in Edmund @ the University of Central Oklahoma.  If you're interested in getting in touch with him, his name is Mark Janzen, and his email is [email protected]

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/