1st Print Greyhawk & 3rd Print Woody
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 pm 

Hello Evaluation Board,

I would greatly appreciate an opinion on the value of this set. It was listed as a BIN at $1,000 so I made an offer under that, as I felt the item conditions did not warrant that price. Unfortunately, I did not win out. What would the esteemed members here value these items?

** expired eBay auction **

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm 

Great question, PM-Knight!  Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

(I had this box set on my watch list as well and was curious where it would finally sell.)  From my perspective, the box itself looks good, fairly clean looking and aesthetically pleasing compared to some I have seen up recently.  How the other flaws impact the price are interesting... loose pages, slight staple rust, errant pen mark.  Would you think $800 was a fair price for this set?

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:18 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Great question, PM-Knight!  Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

(I had this box set on my watch list as well and was curious where it would finally sell.)  From my perspective, the box itself looks good, fairly clean looking and aesthetically pleasing compared to some I have seen up recently.  How the other flaws impact the price are interesting... loose pages, slight staple rust, errant pen mark.  Would you think $800 was a fair price for this set?

Hi Smarmy,

I was not too far off then. I offered $835, got rejected, and then upped to $875, at which point they said they were negotiating an offer over $900. I thought about going for the BIN price, especially with a nice 1st print Greyhawk, but it just didn't feel right.

Thanks - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am 

FWIW, I think that there are a few nice points to the lot:

- original dice in nice and crisp condition
- 1st GH is worth $150+ by itself
- books themselves look to be in pretty good shape
- box is not perfect, but still definitely good

I think $1000 is pretty good, but getting the lot for anything between $600 and $800 would seem like a steal to me.  

My 2 cp :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 am 

If I had seen that one I would have been pushed into nabbing it for the dice. 8)

Also: Agree with Grodog...... that Greyhawk 1st Print in that condition would be worth more than $150 to me.

Whoever nabbed that lot made a good purchase.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM