Rappan Athuk Reloaded
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am 

What's the going rate for this Bad Boy these days? Mint in SW. #341.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 pm 

Deogolf wrote:What's the going rate for this Bad Boy these days? Mint in SW. #341.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Was there a gold ticket inside?   :D

Sorry... still in the SW... guess we'll never know now...

Even with the Kickstarter reprints, I'd think you could get (at least) $200 for it, if not more...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 pm 

the last ones that I saved were from 2011 unfortunately. One not in shrink, but "like new" went for $118, and another in shrink went for $150.
In 2010, there was one that sold for $188 (not in shrink, but "like new").

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:53 pm 

How do you know the # if it is in SW?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm 

Plaag wrote:How do you know the # if it is in SW?

ShaneG.

I'm not completely sure of this, but it looks like from one of the photos in one of the auctions, there's a sticker on the back of the box set to the left of the UPC that has the number on it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm 

Plaag wrote:How do you know the # if it is in SW?

ShaneG.

As Mr. Spock mention, there's a white square on the back of the box the has the number printed on it.
So, I'm just assuming that that is the number.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

I hadn't been tracking them for awhile, but I just ran across this one from sept 2012 that ended at around $88 for an opened, never used one.

** expired eBay auction **

and the Acaeum member scaithagh has one listed for $135 in shrink

I'm thinking the prices have come down because of the newer version in the Kickstarter project.

edit: I also just found this one, also opened, but like new from July 29, 2012 that sold for $115

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us]webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q ... &gl=us[/url]

for some reason I can't get the url for the google cache link working here, but if you click on the photo (which doesn't show up), it'll take you to the page

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm 

misterspock wrote:I hadn't been tracking them for awhile, but I just ran across this one from sept 2012 that ended at around $88 for an opened, never used one.

I'm thinking the prices have come down because of the newer version in the Kickstarter project.

Agreed.  And here's another basic set which is the cheapest I've ever seen.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:28 pm 

These have suffered badly because of the recession, but I'd expect the desireability of the RAR boxed set to bounce back when collectors have more disposable money. The RAR boxed set is better presented than the newer Kickstarter, has a more polished finish, better cartography, and will appeal to both the 'old school' player and the developing nostalgia market hankering after the 3/3.5E D&D stuff; your GG/NG/TLG collector. The RA123 set however is now likely to be redundant stock. It was always seen as the poor man's RAR, or the cautious/unsure casual reader's Rappan Athuk, and with the Kickstarter, the current low prices on RAR, and the prevelance of PDFs online for the former RAR and RA123, there is unlikely to be a return to former prices on RA3.

Just my 2c.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:...The RAR boxed set is better presented than the newer Kickstarter, has a more polished finish, better cartography, and will appeal to both the 'old school' player and the developing nostalgia market ...
Just my 2c.

Ooooo! really. Should I be looking at getting a copy. Is it a more attractive set?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 pm 

It's certainly worth taking a look at at the current prices. If you can pick up a NM copy at $120 or less, you shouldn't see any depreciation in your investment, IMO.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 pm 

If there was a 1Ed or S&W copy of RA I'd go for that, but 3/3.5 isn't for me

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:49 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:If there was a 1Ed or S&W copy of RA I'd go for that, but 3/3.5 isn't for me

+1

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:If there was a 1Ed or S&W copy of RA I'd go for that, but 3/3.5 isn't for me

I have the SW version from the kickstarter.  Didn't you grab one from there.  Check Bill's site out and see if there are any left.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm 

I did think of it, but it was a bit pricey at that time :(

Even $40 for the PDF is a bit high for practicality. I appreciate the size and understand why though.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:35 pm 

Prufrock wrote:

I have the SW version from the kickstarter.  Didn't you grab one from there.  Check Bill's site out and see if there are any left.

Martin

Was the Kickstarter eventually published in a single volume?
Like Slumbering Tsar, the collossal volume thing, while a nice gimmick and a way of attracting attention to your product, makes the peoduct virtually unusable in real world gameplay. Worlds Largest Dungeon did it eight years ago and the concept was crap back then. At least with RAR or RA123, you get a product you can actually DM with instead of sitting it on a shelf and letting it depreciate. Yes, the genuine leatherbound editions are probably a good investment. They are meant to stay on a shelf and never be used, but why a company would put out products that aren't designed with actual game players in mind, I don't know. I guess the KS was more about the collector, because the players already had a flooded market of product, and there was no mileage in rehashing the books a third time for gamers. That's the only way it seems to stack up to my mind. Has there been a comprehensive review of the new RA yet by anyone?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Martin

Was the Kickstarter eventually published in a single volume?
Like Slumbering Tsar, the collossal volume thing, while a nice gimmick and a way of attracting attention to your product, makes the peoduct virtually unusable in real world gameplay. Worlds Largest Dungeon did it eight years ago and the concept was crap back then. At least with RAR or RA123, you get a product you can actually DM with instead of sitting it on a shelf and letting it depreciate. Yes, the genuine leatherbound editions are probably a good investment. They are meant to stay on a shelf and never be used, but why a company would put out products that aren't designed with actual game players in mind, I don't know. I guess the KS was more about the collector, because the players already had a flooded market of product, and there was no mileage in rehashing the books a third time for gamers. That's the only way it seems to stack up to my mind. Has there been a comprehensive review of the new RA yet by anyone?

So far the Kickstarter RA sets I've seen for sale on ebay work out to a profit for the sellers. The new versions are Pathfinder and Swords&Wizardry, though I think they still have S&W versions for sale. I was going through my copy of the S&W version but I have had to set it aside (and most everything else) for the last month or two. I haven't seen any reviews of it.

I don't find the three big book versions of the RAR set to be much less cumbersome than the single massive tome of the kickstarter version, but I have no doubt that these books are getting serious gameplay and aren't sitting on shelves. The leatherbound versions probably are going to be shelf-sitters, but they look damn nice.

The mileage for me was converting it to AD&D. The S&W saves me more time than I had to do the conversion. The same is probably true for the Pathfinder players.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm 

I think I got nearly $200 for mine, but that was a few years ago.

Let mirth prevail!