Woodgrain box
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 pm 

I have an original woodgrain box set of Dungeons and Dragons in excellent condition (never played). This is the earlier set with ents and hobbits mentioned on Page 9. I'm interested in what its value might be and how i might go about selling it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 pm 

You need to determine the specific print, there is probably around a $2000-2500 difference between a first and second or third print.  Go here for info: http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html.  As far as selling it, take lots of detailed pictures that show the condition accurately.  You will probably get more for it by putting it on eBay, but if you post in classifieds on this site, you will certainly get offers (would not be surprised if you are fielding multiple offers or at least requests for more info already via PM).

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:55 pm 

Thank you Grug Greyskin. I checked at your link for the Rares and my boxed set matches all the pointsof a first printing alpha.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:58 am 

You have any other interesting early books/goodies, corona66, or "just" the woodgrain set? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:53 am 

I have a third printing of Chainmail and a second printing of Swords and Spells.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:02 am 

corona66 wrote:Thank you Grug Greyskin. I checked at your link for the Rares and my boxed set matches all the pointsof a first printing alpha.

Please ... PLEASE  :bounce:  Let us know where you decide to post this delectable item for sale. I'm sure that you've received several PM from various parties, but we would love to see some photos of this treasure that you've unearthed  :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 pm 

Post some pics.  Condition is a huge factor that could more than double the value.  Also would be good to have the experts verify the printing.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 am 

IF you sell, be careful of any pressuring messages asking to sell as BIN
You'll get a huge amount if interest in a minty alpha woodie, so I'd recommend you go for an auction, as you'll get the best money then.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"