Crate from the garage
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:31 am 

Hello folks;
Sadly I got distrated from trying to get some help from this forum, my father had a terrible stroke.

Now we've got over things I actually do have to empty the garage and have rediscovered these 3 boxes of stuff.

I wasn't sure what was in because quite a bit came in a trade for other stuff a few years ago. Not photographed is a run of about 250 of a series of Dragon magazines. These do not stretch to the current times, they are nearly all ones that are published by TSR. I have absolutely no idea if this stuff is really of interest, but thought I would see if there was any.

The earliest of "The Dragon" go back to the 1970's with issue 6 and 10, there is a sporadic few up to the 40s then a huge run [with only a handful missing] up to issue 230. This includes a couple of duplicates, I know there is definately 2 of the issue that included a giveaway Deck of Many Things, for example.

I photographed the other things in the hope that you guys will know exactly what it all is. The magazines would take much longer to photograph though!

http://photobucket.com/gameboxclearance

Ideally I would like to sell this as a collection, so to speak. Any help appreciated?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:45 pm 

MattUK wrote:Ideally I would like to sell this as a collection, so to speak. Any help appreciated?

Sorry to hear about your dad.  There are people on these forums who can give you a much better idea of what all this is worth than me, but from what I can tell, you are not sitting on a gold mine.  Even just the stuff that's photographed isn't worth more than $100.00, and it's probably worth about $50.00.  One of the main reasons is the condition of many of the items which would be considered poor even if there is no writing, highlighting, or smoke/pet smells.  

The best news I can offer you is that your older Dragon magazine are fairly valuable if they are in better condition than the rest of your stuff.  Issues 6-10 can be roughly worth $20-40 each.  Issues 11-20 can be roughly $10 to $20 each. After issue 25, all issues are less than $10.00 each.  After issue 50, they are all less than $5.00.  After issue 75, they are all worth $2.00 or less.  After issue 100, it might not be worth your time or trouble to sell them (except for the Deck of Many Things issues).  A significant factor in their worth is whether those early issues still have their mailing cover or not as this can increase their value by 25% or so.

Normally, I don't recommend selling everything in one lot, however, based on what I've seen, you might want to sell about half the photographed items in one lot and the other half in another on eBay.  The Dragon Magazines from issues 1-40 or so, I'd sell individually, after that, I'd sell them in sequential lots of five issues up to issue 100.  The rest almost isn't worth your trouble.

You are likely going to maximize your profits on eBay.  Selling everything in one lot will get you about half what you might get by going though the trouble of eBay, even after fees and such.  To put this in money terms, I bet you could find someone on these forums who would offer you $75.00 for everything if they could see pictures of your Dragon Magazines and they looked pretty good.  If you sold everything yourself on eBay, you'd net $150.00 profit.  It should be noted this is a wild guess because I don't know what Dragon Magazines you have (that really matter) and their condition.   8)

Good luck!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:59 am 

Hi there
Thanks very much for your advice, it is very helpful.

I kind of knew I'd really have to get into the big boxes of magazines. The good news is they've been sealed up in plastic crates with lids and stored flat so they are in great shape. Also the majority of them are in a plastic sleeves from a comic store, but none of them as far as I know have any kind of mailing cover. I'll make the effort to go and check the issue numbers of what's there and make a list today!

I hear what you say about putting them on ebay in small batches. This would probably be best for postage as well.
regards
Matt

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 am 

I had a quick look in the smallest of the crates with the magazines in, with the ones up to 100. I can see the following.
Vol1 #6 , Vol2 #4, Vol3 #3, Vol3 #8, Vol4 #4, then they all have a number in the top corner - 36, 43, 47 [2 of], 52 [but small cover tear at staples], 54,55,57 thro 63, 65 thro 80 [except 72 and 77] and 82 thro 99 [except 98]. I'll do as you suggest and try putting them up on ebay maybe next week, all of them except one seem in great shape :)
regards
Matt

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm 

MattUK wrote:I had a quick look in the smallest of the crates with the magazines in, with the ones up to 100. I can see the following.
Vol1 #6 , Vol2 #4, Vol3 #3, Vol3 #8, Vol4 #4, then they all have a number in the top corner - 36, 43, 47 [2 of], 52 [but small cover tear at staples], 54,55,57 thro 63, 65 thro 80 [except 72 and 77] and 82 thro 99 [except 98]. I'll do as you suggest and try putting them up on ebay maybe next week, all of them except one seem in great shape :)
regards
Matt

If any of the earlier Dragon Magazines (before issue #40) have their mailing covers still attached, they would be worth considerably quite more (say in the $20 - $30 range).

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm 

I'd be interested in the Deck of Many Things, and I'm in the UK too, so would save on shipping.

PM me if you'd like to sell/trade?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm 

I believe Dragons came in mailing covers from issues 7-26 (although i only have issues 11-26 with mailing covers).

Shrink is not a condition