Adventurers Guild items possible price?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:37 pm 

Anyone wanted venture a opinion on what the RPGA Adv Guild items should be valued at?  I'd say probably 100 each? Too low? too high? Lets hear your opinions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:21 pm 

I'd have to say way too low.  The print runs on these were SCARY low.  Not only that, you couldn't just go down to the store and buy them, hell, you couldn't even mail order them.  There was only one way to get them, and that was from a retailer who paid for them as promo items.  There weren't any extra printed.  If you missed a series, it was gone.  Trust me, i tried.  Over the years, i see these going up in value quite a bit...an extreme amount actually.  Right now, people are a bit gun shy because they don't know enough about them.  Once they find out how hard they are to come by, people will be scrambling to get even ONE of them.  When the RPGA's and R's were first around, TSR couldn't GIVE them away.  Now you can get a solid $125-$175 all day.  With these, they weren't even trying to sell them.  Good luck.  Get them while you can and hold on to them.   rhea..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:50 pm 

Hi Rhea, thanks for your valuable input about the adventurers guild modules.  I do agree with you that these modules should become very valuable (much higher than the R's and RPGA's) once word spreads around on how rare they are. Right now, people aren't sure what to pay for them as they are still relatively unknown to many collectors. Give it time and when people start trying to get them to finish off their collections, the demand will be on.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:30 pm 

I think the biggest problem with them is that they don't have the look of a genuine module.  With the R series you get an illustrated booklet with a cardstock cover with real artwork and a map on the inside, etc.  In other words, a classic D&D module.  With AG you get, well, some stapled sheets of paper.  They lack the visual appeal that's necessary to get people excited about them.  If they at least had a b&w illustration on the cover I think we'd see people going nuts over them.  Of course the other problem is that these guys would be REALLY easy to counterfeit.  A couple of bucks at Kinkos and you're good to go.  I think this fact alone tends to really scare folks aware from shelling out big bucks on them.  Unless you're buying from a reputable guy like Rhea, of course.   :wink:   Regardless, I think we'll start to finally see some movement on them once they become more well known. Time and publicity will works wonders on the prices.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:56 pm 

Hi Adrian, you stole the words out of my mouth!  One of the things many collectors need to watch out is for counterfeits like you said. They are in black and white paper so people could go to a kinkos and get many printed.   People should also watch out for the Jade Hare (coverless). I have seen a few counterfeits floating around.  I hope demand goes up for the adv guild items but I don't want to see counterfeits being sold as real. This community needs to really work together to watch out for things like that.  An alternative is to buy from well known and established collectors like Rhea. Blackdougal (Adrian) is an established collector but I don't think he wants to sell his items adv guilds yet :lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:59 pm 

Hi Guys,  Could you describe what these Judges Guild "modules" look like. I think I have one, but my experience is which D&D only. thanks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:50 am 

Michael, (cigar man) you mean Adv Guild items not Judges Guild items right? Like Adrian has said, they look like the Jade Hare (coverless). Just black and white with no pictures.   Supercollector Rhea there sent the acaeum almost every adv guild pictures and information. You can find it on the acaeum. Just click on rare items and then a few items from the top of the list you will see adv guild modules. From there you can find out pictures and information and perhaps see if the item you have is a adv guild item or not.  On the introduce yourself topic, you mentioned your location was Northern California. I'm currently up in Northern California for college so if you happen to be near me, I'd be glad to take a look and see if it is a adv guild item. Perhaps we can talk, get to know each other, talk about collection, etc.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:00 pm 

FWIW, I've already seen scanned copies of various Adv. Guild adventures on the .net, in addition to the one that WotC had on their web site (Dragotha's Lair, tied to Return to White Plume Mtn).    Since they had no special binding to distinguish them from a standard RPGA tourney, I'd say that getting $100 per module might be good, especially once they become more commonly scanned and available....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:30 am 

Howdy Alan, glad to see you joined the forums as well.   The adv guild modules don't really have any special bindings,etc but I'm sure if a copy came up you could spot it by looking at the type and size of paper used, ink inconsistencies, stapling, etc. If you happen to have a legit module you could also compare the two and can easily spot differences.  I used that technique to spot out a jade hare fake and it was well made fake. Person used the right size of paper the original Jade Hare used, area were the stapling should be, etc.   I guess with technology these days anything can be very well copied. Everyones best bet is to get them from a store, person, etc who can provide history on how they got the modules, etc and even buying from established collectors is a safe thing to do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:13 pm 

Probably around $20 each. Who wants to sell me one?  :P   Actually I don't have any idea on the price of these. Yes, they are very rare but unless your a serious collector I don't see them as being in great demand. $100 seems a little pricy to me for what you are getting and I don't know how many people would be willing to put out a few hundred dollars just for a small collection. If I had any of those I know I wouldn't sell them. At this point you can name whatever price you want for one if you are selling it but I don't know how many buyers you'll be able to find.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:33 pm 

Hi Bragi, actually $100 doesn't seem too pricey for these modules. Many people pay $100+ for the RPGA's and R modules. Wouldn't you call those pricey? What about $700+ for b3 oranges, etc? From the consensus of the big collectors, these adv guild modules are very rare.  At this point, the price is undetermined as very few have been sold publicly besides private deals and offers. Also pls note that it was only a few months ago that the acaeum has put information about these up. They are still relatively unknown and may take a while before more collectors know of this. I do agree with you that only serious collectors would want these items. Afterall, there are about 80 of them to complete a set and would cost a lot of money to complete.  Finding buyers for these items is fairly easy. There are some big boys on the acaeum forums who are searching for these items. Just gotta know who to contact. Also pls note that their was a man selling about 40+ adv guild modules sometime in March/April. He was getting high bids on them and even very high private offers. This was on ebay by the way. This was way before acaeum covered the adv guild modules. So that tells you there are quite a few people interested in acquiring them then.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:02 pm 

eBay.com Item Bid History  Looks like Dm_dave is the lucky guy of these 4 adv guild modules! I'm surprised noone else was eyeing those 4 modules. Perhaps the bad title I suppose.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:12 pm 

Or maybe they are worth only about $20 each :wink:   Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:56 pm 

Don't tell Rhea that or he will hurt ya for saying adv guilds are only worth $20 each!! Rhea will kick your butt j/k hahah :wink:  :lol:  8)  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:09 am 

Here is a huge pile of Adv Guild up for auction.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545  The seller has another huge lot of photocopied adventures meticulously taken from various dragon and dungeon magazines.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545  Here within lies the problem with Adventurers Guild items. They are very easy to counterfeit. Simple photocopier can reproduce these items and there is no way to know for sure what is real. It should be interesting to see how much they fetch anyhow...  BTW Mike, I dont know why Rhea would be mad :? .  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:39 am 

Hey Adam, wow thanks for the tip! Rather large lot of rpga items too.  I'm guessing this seller is a retailer who participated in the adv guild program. He/she better watch out though. In case you didn't know WOTC has 2-3 people working on ebay scouring for copies, copyright violations, etc. Retailers like that seller are not allowed to sell adv guild modules. Once a store buys the modules, they are not allowed to sell them. So I'm sure if WOTC found out they will send that seller a email telling him/her to cancel it.  I got this info from a retailer who has adv guild items and is not willing to sell them to me in fear of WOTC reprisals.  A problem the lot may have is that there are so many items all together. The seller should list them separately. They will make more money selling separately than a big lot. However count me in on the bidding. I'm sure dm_dave is bidding but I'll make sure he pays plenty.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:40 pm 

I think these items are great, however as you'll never know if you are getting the origional or a photocopy, in my opinion are not worth much...  Think back to how they were first printed. What probably happened if that someone in the marketing department printed out a copy from a PDF file on their computer, got a list of stors that had ordered it and then sat down and photocopied it 60+ and then sent it out (remember it would be a lot faster and cheaper just to photocopy it than print em all out on a printer). Now what did the store do when they got it? Well some would be collectors and kept a copy of it, others would of actually used the thing. So they either kept the 1 copy they more than likely got and used that (unlikely in my opinion) or they photocopied it themselves so that could used em several times and kept a nice clean copy on file. If they used it and didn't photocopy it it would soon be dirty, written on, coffee/coke/pizza spilled all over it....  second, whats to stop someone just photocopying a whole lot of em? or maybe even scanning OCR'ing it and printing out again (to get the printed look instead of photocopy look)???? Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:14 am 

Hey Brette, do you own any adv guild modules? You have valid points but if you owned adv guild modules there are also some points that you can bring up to possibly determine a fake.   Right now I'm working on some identifying features that anyone can use to make sure their adv guilds are possibly real or fake.  A lot of stores who bought the items most likely used them. Why pay $10 each (thats what one retailer told me it cost them) and not use them right? Many stores ran tournaments using the modules so many were possibly used and have wear and tear, pizza stains, etc.  Now as to that auction adam showed, I have no idea why that seller photocopied so many of them. Most likely they wanted to keep the original and have players use the photocopies. Either well, that seller/retailer will get in trouble. If you look closely on the bottom of all adv guild, they state, that it cannot be reproduced, copied, etc without permission from WOTC. Worst, your not suppose to sell photocopied materials. Once WOTC finds word of this, that person will get in trouble!  Overall, I can see a reason why many people are shying away from adv guild.

Next