value of Empire of the Ghouls by Wolfgang Baur?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 pm 

I haven't seen anyone sell a copy of Wolfgang's Empire of the Ghouls, and was considering putting a copy up for sale (please don't send offers yet, I'm just considering this ;) ).

Has anyone seen a copy sell, and if so, any ideas on pricing?  Unlike many of the more-recent Open Design projects, Empire of the Ghouls is now closed and unavailable completely if you weren't a sponsor of that project (or perhaps the one following---IIRC it may have been available to Arabian Nights sponsors too, but that's long-closed and gone as well, of course).  

I have seen a few of the more recent, but still OOP Open Design projects sell recently-ish, and they didn't end up having a very high selling price in the end.

Thoughts?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:33 am 

Oo.. this is me..

Empire of the Ghouls is the third and one of the most sought after, unfortunatly there is a pdf of this floating around (actually of all the Open designs except for Steam & Brass), there have been a few sales, and only a few.. I know as I have bought some of them them, but none of them for over a year as far as I'm aware.. at auction I think I paid $120 odd a couple of years ago.. there is a soft cover version and a hardcover version, the softcover seems more common than the hardcover.... I'd be thinking at least $150 (maybe more, esp if you want to stick it in an ebay store)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Last edited by beasterbrook on Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 am 

grodog wrote:I haven't seen anyone sell a copy of Wolfgang's Empire of the Ghouls, and was considering putting a copy up for sale (please don't send offers yet, I'm just considering this ;) ).

Has anyone seen a copy sell, and if so, any ideas on pricing?  Unlike many of the more-recent Open Design projects, Empire of the Ghouls is now closed and unavailable completely if you weren't a sponsor of that project (or perhaps the one following---IIRC it may have been available to Arabian Nights sponsors too, but that's long-closed and gone as well, of course).  

I have seen a few of the more recent, but still OOP Open Design projects sell recently-ish, and they didn't end up having a very high selling price in the end.

Thoughts?

No idea, but I am surprised to hear that there isn't greater interest in these. They are a bit of a proto-kickstarter. Empire of the Ghouls should be one of the most well known. Isn't an expansion or sequel to the Dungeon Mag adventures?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Isn't an expansion or sequel to the Dungeon Mag adventures?

Yes, it's a sequel/expansion to "Kingdom of the Ghouls" from Dungeon #70. As I recall, there is also an oblique reference to Vault of the Drow, unofficially linking it to Greyhawk.

I actually own Wolfgang's original proof copy from Lulu, along with a letter indicating its provenance. It's probably my most prized RPG item. I keep it in a place where I can grab it quickly in case of a disaster (no kidding). Accordingly, I'm a little curious about its value too.

Andrew

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 pm 

I liked the content sufficiently to some extra copies of the hardcover, but I wasn't aware that .pdfs were out there.  I suppose that's not much of a surprise since that's how it was circulated to the patrons.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:16 am 

You bought some extras? smart move;) I have only seen 1 hardcover for sale and I bought it, lucked out on it actually.. It is a shame about the PSF's, lets people read it I suppose, but still..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.