The future for Silver Anniversary Box Sets
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm 

Perhaps someone would purchase one in the SW at a BIN of $200.
But they can be found for less.

ebay.com/itm/290687448571?ssPageName=ST ... 1439.l2649
And it is not like it was BINed immediatly either.
I saw it go through several days without a puchase, and I finally decided to take a small chance.
Purchased on 3-24-2012 from Troll and Toad.
With some patience you can still get a SWed set for less than $125... T&T also offers FREE shipping as well!
It sits on my bookshelf now... NM in the SW.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Perhaps someone would purchase one in the SW at a BIN of $200.
But they can be found for less.

ebay.com/itm/290687448571?ssPageName=ST ... 1439.l2649
And it is not like it was BINed immediatly either.
I saw it go through several days without a puchase, and I finally decided to take a small chance.
Purchased on 3-24-2012 from Troll and Toad.
With some patience you can still get a SWed set for less than $125... T&T also offers FREE shipping as well!
It sits on my bookshelf now... NM in the SW.

Hey Gnat,

I think it's the fact that it was Troll and Toad turned some people off.
I wouldn't want to take the chance of buying it from them, and having it sent to Hong Kong based on other forum users past experience with them.

Best regards,
Ronald

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm 

Here is my big impression of RPG "collectors" after years of reselling.  

The Acaeum-type crowd is just a very, very . . . very small percentage.  Most collectors aren't anywhere near Acaeum level . . . hell, they aren't even close to Dragonsfoot level.  Nothing wrong with that - they are just there, maybe a on a little "collector kick", remembering past days, picking up some items they once had . . . or never had.  Having fun, relearning old memories . . . .maybe even using them to play the game with.

What I am getting at is that it doesn't really matter if G1 is listed as a Silver Anniversay reprint.  My guess is anyone who pays $15 or more for that has no idea what "Silver Anniversary Reprint" really means . . . that there is a Silver Anniversary set in the first place, published in 1999, or even what the other content of said set would be . . .

It seems like one of those things that happens from ignorance - I don't doubt that breaking up a set may be the way to go, but the value in doing so stems solely from casual collectors who are ignorant of what they are actually getting.  (not implying any deceit, you can't exactly hold someone's hand and explain every detail - I am just observing).

On a more cynical note, I have got to ask why we even believe that "5000 printed" statement to be correct?  Is it solely because WOTC said so?  How do we even know that is accurate?  That more print runs weren't made at a later date, etc.  Limited print runs always run the risk of the publisher deceiving, but in this case, I think the odds could be higher that it happened.  Just a thought.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am 

Badmike wrote:And in the case of Deep Dwarven Delve they don't do any research to see if they can find an entire set for $75-$100, instead of just the one adventure.

Or they don't care.  The only thing I wanted from that set was L3.  I ended up trading for it, but if I was buying, and could have saved $5 vs. the whole set, I would have done it.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
Badmike wrote:And in the case of Deep Dwarven Delve they don't do any research to see if they can find an entire set for $75-$100, instead of just the one adventure.

Or they don't care.  The only thing I wanted from that set was L3.  
I ended up trading for it, but if I was buying, and could have saved $5 vs. the whole set, I would have done it.

8O

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote: 8O

Seconded. ^^
(So much good stuff in that "other $5" would be well worth forking out the "extra" for just to give away, if that were the case :)
02c here, anyhow...)

Beyondthebreach wrote:What I am getting at is that it doesn't really matter if G1 is listed as a Silver Anniversay reprint.  My guess is anyone who pays $15 or more for that has no idea what "Silver Anniversary Reprint" really means . . . that there is a Silver Anniversary set in the first place, published in 1999, or even what the other content of said set would be . . .

*nods* Quite likely true for many buyers. And the Silver Anniversary copies look a lot fresher than the older prints, of course.

Beyondthebreach wrote:It seems like one of those things that happens from ignorance - I don't doubt that breaking up a set may be the way to go, but the value in doing so stems solely from casual collectors who are ignorant of what they are actually getting.  (not implying any deceit, you can't exactly hold someone's hand and explain every detail - I am just observing).

Still not so sure on that... many people, hard-nosed "collectors" and otherwise, /do/ seek out L3 to fill the gap, regardless, and it doesn't take much to make up the "full value" of the box after that. I remember we used to be discussing this in the context of broken up box vs. sold "intact" for /un/shrinked copies. That we're now comparing with shrinked sets (and those do seem to have increased more than unshrinked sets) continues to make for interesting pricing dynamics.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 pm 

faro wrote:(So much good stuff in that "other $5" would be well worth forking out the "extra" for just to give away, if that were the case :)
02c here, anyhow...)

Modules I have already, in multiple versions in most cases, an art print that I wouldn't do anything with, a TSR history book that doesn't do much for me, and a box that I wouldn't need, because I didn't get all that other stuff.

*shrug*  Everyone has limits on what they collect.  I don't care about that, but the next collector would wonder why I need every printing of some Chaosium item.  My real point was that L3 was/is/will be the main draw, and the rest is a lot less interesting to most people.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:14 pm 

faro wrote:
Beyondthebreach wrote:It seems like one of those things that happens from ignorance - I don't doubt that breaking up a set may be the way to go, but the value in doing so stems solely from casual collectors who are ignorant of what they are actually getting.  (not implying any deceit, you can't exactly hold someone's hand and explain every detail - I am just observing).

Still not so sure on that... many people, hard-nosed "collectors" and otherwise, /do/ seek out L3 to fill the gap, regardless, and it doesn't take much to make up the "full value" of the box after that. I remember we used to be discussing this in the context of broken up box vs. sold "intact" for /un/shrinked copies. That we're now comparing with shrinked sets (and those do seem to have increased more than unshrinked sets) continues to make for interesting pricing dynamics.

What I mean is this:

Collector A is a "hard-nosed" collector.  He likes 1st edition, Judges Guild, Tekumel, etc.  He grudgingly decides that he needs L3, but has no interest in the Silver Anniversary set and is unwilling to pay an extra $20 - $40 when he could just get L3 for $75.

Collector B likes a little bit of everything (at least up until the end of 2E) and, of course, wants the whole Silver Anniversary set.  $100 later it is his.

Collector C has just remembered how much he liked AD&D.  He is buying modules and accessories, box sets and all kinds of good stuff.  Monos - now those he remembers, but L3?  That doesn't mean anything to him at all . . . nor does Silver Anniversary Set.

Mr. Reseller is banking on Collector C.  Without him, there would be no value in breaking up the set.  Collector A will come along and cover the lion's share of the profits by actually spending $75 for one module!  Awesome!  The rest . . . well, Collector A wouldn't even give $5 a module for them and Collector B, he's got a full set already.  But now, Collector C - he just might buy these modules for $10, $15, $20 or more!  There's no way Collector C would pay $75 for the L3 he never heard of, but $15 for a High Grade Mono G1 . .  . now that's a deal he'll consider.   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm 

Like I said above, these can still be purchased for under $150 even in the Shrink Wrap.
The copy I bought from T&T with a BIN of just  $125.51 (FREE SH)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

You could pay more if you want to, but why would you?
There are two SWed sets on e-Bay right now with BINs of $199.95 and $225, but I would not go there.
Another set not in SW is at $79 right now (four bids so far).

I firmly believe that these will indeed rise in value in the future, but it will take a turnaround in the economy and some recovery time first.
In the mean time  (as long as I have the funds and notice them) I will continue to snap up these under $150 SWed sets every chance I get.  :mrgreen:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:51 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote in The future for Silver Anniversary Box Sets:At a certain point, the value of the sets will exceed the value of the components  (hasn't it already?).  After a certain points sellers will be attempting to assemble Silver Anniversary box sets from gathered components.

With recent sales of shrinked Silver Anniversary Boxed sets, we are arguably at the point where the set is now worth more than the individual components.  There have been two completed sales lately of these shrinked sets going for over $250.00 on eBay.  That may not be true for sets that aren't in shrink, but we're getting very close.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I've got a shrinked set for sale at $279.00 if anybody wants it that bad.   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

BIN auctions will always be there to tempt people but in the same time period two copies in shrink sold for $130 and $150 in open auctions:

In the cheaper one, you can even see the sticker indicating it is one of the rarer 1000 copies with the signed art print.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:29 pm 

Not quite.  That first one was in SW but opened.  Look at the L3.  It's significantly damaged.  The listing was shady and the contents are definitely not all NM.

That second one looks real good though.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 pm 

I saw the lower priced BIN and passed; also noting the L3 was damaged...
It is a shame, as I actively search out those I know to be the signed artwork sets.
If it had been any other module or the TSR history book was damaged in the set with L3 being NM, I would have bought that set.

I did purchase that second set and it is indeed minty.... and is now safely ensconced into my collection of 25th Anniversary Sets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:03 pm 

It begs the question of how many are you stockpiling?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 pm 

Mars wrote in The future for Silver Anniversary Box Sets:It begs the question of how many are you stockpiling?

:?:

Yes...    :mrgreen:

Previous