Valuation of NM SR5-6 and The Dragon 1-3?
Author

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 am 

Imgur album of my awful photos of the covers and backs.

The worst on each issue is the minor wear on the back, otherwise they are completely unmarked with no dog-ears and oddly no shipping labels (maybe purchased from a hobby store?). I got these in a large lot full of gaming material but don't really have an interest in the periodicals. Any idea on what they'd be worth in this condition would be wonderful, thanks.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am 

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodicals/dragon.html

Prices listed assume NM condition and I find these to be more accurate than those presented in the link you posted below.
Especially for later Dragon Magazine Issues.
Actual live auctions will often have differing results on e-Bay.

BINs at max value for The Dragon and SRs often sit for a long time with no results, but if fairly well priced they will eventually be purchased.

SRs seldom outpace the stated price index linked above in live auction final prices.

Dragon #1 seldom sells for less than it is worth in open auctions... of the semi-rares being sold recently it retains its value very well (as long as condition is very good).
I have watched one Dragon issue # 1 that is in horrid condition being constantly relisted with a $250 or $275 BIN for months now.
I would be shocked if it ever sells.

For Dragon Issues 2 and higher... results vary greatly.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am 

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rares.html

Unfortunately, that data is apparently from '99 and I couldn't find any recently completed listing on eBay. At the very least, if I decide to sell them you guys have a new data point ;p

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 am 

Looking at your picture of Dragon #1, either it's a split cover, or there's another magazine underneath it. It's hard to tell.

If it's the later, it's in the $175 - $225 range.

Maybe $50 - $75 total for the other four items.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 am 

It is indeed another magazine beneath it.

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am 

OMG I just noticed (from IOs wording about pictures in his post) that there is a link in the first post.  :oops:  :roll:

Those links are very tough for my old eyes to pick out of the blue background and regular text... especially when you guys use regular words instead of the HTTP URL thingies...

Most of the pictures seemed very blurry to me, but the items all looked pretty nice to me.
They should do very well on e-Bay.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 am 

I'm a geography student, not a photographer!  :)

Yeah, these will almost certainly be hitting ebay then.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 am 

tscook wrote:I'm a geography student, not a photographer!  :)
Yeah, these will almost certainly be hitting ebay then.

Understand.
Most digital cameras offer a choice to take "Steady Picture" in one of the menus...
I have a 5 year old DC that does anyway, though I seldom use that feature as it seems that the flash does not shine as brightly and the pictures seem darker.

Good luck with your listings. 8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:41 am 

tscook wrote:Unfortunately, that data is apparently from '99

The dates are (generally) when Scott last updated the description on the site, not when the prices were last updated. I wonder how many people have presumed the latter without asking over the years. :)

Your Dragons look to be very well maintained, even in blurcam mode. I'd suggest a bit higher than "$50 - $75 total" for the others; q.v. $86 for #2

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

but eBay sales can go low, too. IMHO it's often worth checking for private sales first since it's not always possible to tell if someone might be in a position to pay a decent amount for the bundle or if everyone's only seeking one or two issues, at present, and the ~10% saving can help work things out to mutual benefit.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:44 pm 

http://imgur.com/a/RLSyU#0

Stopped by a friend on campus's media clerk job to use one of their fancy cameras and Photoshop lab. I was surprised at just how crisp it was when I tried to take an interior photo.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:57 pm 

tscook wrote:http://imgur.com/a/RLSyU#0

Stopped by a friend on campus's media clerk job to use one of their fancy cameras and Photoshop lab. I was surprised at just how crisp it was when I tried to take an interior photo.  :D

Much nicer pics.
For future reference, never stack two or more magazines before taking pictures to post on e-Bay or some other place for sale.
Makes them look like the cover is damaged somehow (separated at the spine).

Also you will want to list each individual magazine, alone in its own listing.
That said, you do not want 2 or more different items showing in any single picture.
For these items, unless there is an issue that needs to be seen, you would want to use (at most) 2 pictures per listing.
Front cover, rear cover.
You can easily get away with just a front cover picture too as long as you disclose all issues to the rear covers (if there are any).

If you have some sort of picture editor, the pics you have now can be easily revised to do all that without taking any more pictures.

FWIW: If you list them today you can do them all for free if using one picture, even with a BIN.
Of course once they sell, you still owe e-Bay the final sales cut they get.

Good luck.