Publishing 101
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:. . .fag packet maps . . .

I am honestly curious as to what you are referring to here.

Zach

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 pm 

I'd guess fag packet = packet of cigarettes, so Ian is talking about small (cigarette packet sized) maps.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm 

Nogrod wrote:I am honestly curious as to what you are referring to here.

:lol: It never occurred to me that this might mean something else in th US.
I suppose the US version would be a napkin sketch map.
I suppose someone who sketches fag's packages might end up with a little more than a bloody nose.
My brother is a policeman. It took me a long while to understand what he was talking about when he told me about a woman who'd called the Police because her boyfriend had come home drunk and smashed her back door in. :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm 

LOL!

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Nogrod wrote:I am honestly curious as to what you are referring to here.

:lol: It never occurred to me that this might mean something else in th US.

I figured it was something like that :). I was honestly curious.

Two countries divided by a common language :)

Zach

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm 

Nogrod wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote::lol: It never occurred to me that this might mean something else in th US.

I figured it was something like that :). I was honestly curious.

Two countries divided by a common language :)

Zach

Well, that and they are nuts over there... :P

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:37 pm 

Hey all,

For those of you who produce modules/rule books, do you mind sharing which layout programs you prefer and why? I own MS Publisher, but was thinking about maybe forking over for InDesign. Any thoughts you guys can share would be appreciated.

Humbly,

Nogrod

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 am 

I believe I have mentioned before that I do not use a "program" per se.

I have my style, my preferred fonts, and layouts and just go with them.

I use the MS word doc in my PC ('97-03 I believe) and it manages just fine.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 pm 

Nogrod wrote:For those of you who produce modules/rule books, do you mind sharing which layout programs you prefer and why? I own MS Publisher, but was thinking about maybe forking over for InDesign. Any thoughts you guys can share would be appreciated.

InDesign is probably the top program used among desktop publishers, Zach.  You can also get by with PageMager, but that's generally used for stuff more like posters, handouts, etc., and from what I understand* it's also pretty much been succeeded by InDesign as well.  I know that Kramer at Usherwood (who lays out OSRIC for us, and S&W books for Matt) uses InDesign.

* via folks at the day-job who do layout for realz ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 pm 

grodog wrote:
InDesign is probably the top program used among desktop publishers, Zach.  You can also get by with PageMager, but that's generally used for stuff more like posters, handouts, etc., and from what I understand* it's also pretty much been succeeded by InDesign as well.  I know that Kramer at Usherwood (who lays out OSRIC for us, and S&W books for Matt) uses InDesign.

Yeah I have read that too. I went ahead and sprung for InDesign 5 and have spent a few hours watching tutorials and getting a feel for it. Since I am in no real rush the learning curve issue is not a problem. It sure can do a lot of stuff though, things have come a long way in computer publishing since I last used PageMaker 3.0 in college. Sigh, I get old and everything else gets new.

* via folks at the day-job who do layout for realz ;)

You have a day job?!? I was certain nothing is more lucrative than OSR publishing. Now I have to let my dreams of a Hefner-esque lifestyle fueled by sales of adventure modules die.  8)

But seriously, I wish you all the best and hope you guys are able to turn what you do now into a cool way to make money. Your products certainly are very good and that kind of quality makes me want to work a lot harder on my little vanity project.

Nogrod

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am 

Nogrod wrote:
You have a day job?!? I was certain nothing is more lucrative than OSR publishing. Now I have to let my dreams of a Hefner-esque lifestyle fueled by sales of adventure modules die.  8)

But seriously, I wish you all the best and hope you guys are able to turn what you do now into a cool way to make money. Your products certainly are very good and that kind of quality makes me want to work a lot harder on my little vanity project.

Nogrod

You should try putting together and running a con. It's all steaks, champagne, and Playboy bunnies. Every day.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am 

m

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Sun May 27, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:You should try putting together and running a con. It's all steaks, champagne, and Playboy bunnies. Every day.

Apparently I have the wrong hobby job ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 pm 

grodog wrote:
Apparently I have the wrong hobby job ;)

Your hobby job isn't the wrong one, it's just the respectable one. Now this is purely conjecture, but I have a feeling that by the second Sunday in June I will have a much clearer understanding in regards to the less respectable job. 8)

But back to topic. How much turnaround do the artists need for illustrations. Cover, plus interior artwork for, let's say 32 pages. Also what kind of guidelines do you give the artists? Do you just hand them a manuscript? Or are you more specific?

With zero experience with this, it's my gut feeling that giving the artist a chance to do what they feel is right is far better than saying "I want seven kobolds removing a dragon's mother-of-pearl tooth from his mouth, while three more kobolds pull his tail and kick him in the 'jewels'. Oh and by the way I want kobolds with Mohawks. Blue Mohawks." If I had superior artistic vision, then I wouldn't want to pay for an artist.

But any experiences you could share about this would be of great interest to me. That's enough blathering out of me for now.

Zach

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am 

I use MS Publisher for now. I hope to make the switch to InDesign next year around the same time I make a hardware upgrade. I am a huge fan of PageMaker so I expect I will like the new version.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 am 

Hey all,

I was going to post a request on the cartographers guild site, but before I do I wanted to ask here first for recommendations for a cartographer and fantasy cartography in general. I will be looking for the aforementiocartridge soon for the module I have written, which is nearly finished the second proofread stage. I have all the maps done roughly in iDraw on my trusty iPad. I have all the software for doing this (CC3, GIMP, etc.), but none of the talent to make something in the quality I am now looking for.

As art and maps are a big part of the impression and perceived value given to a hobby project, I am willing to pay quite handsomely if necessary. I like old-school TSR maps (surprise), but I am willing to give a good cartographer a huge amount of artistic license to do what they do best. The only real requirement is that the maps be delivered digitally and be scalable.

Anyone here a mapmaker, or worked with someone they recommend (or even seen maps by someone that left a significant impression on them)?

Can anyone give a ballpark guess on what a good cartographer might ask for regarding compensation (I don't want the rights, just the ability to reprint them for any related project)?

Thanks,

Zach

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 pm 

I might have the time to do the rendering for your maps, but I'd need to know more about the magnitude of the project, the sort of maps you need done, and whether it's a for-profit project before I can give an estimate. I'll shoot you a PM...

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote:I might have the time to do the rendering for your maps, but I'd need to know more about the magnitude of the project, the sort of maps you need done, and whether it's a for-profit project before I can give an estimate. I'll shoot you a PM...

Thanks Guy, I shot an email your direction with some details. I appreciate the reply.

Zach

PreviousNext