Samurai boxed set Avalon Hill
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

I have a copy of the Samurai boxed set by Avalon Hill in really great condition and unpunched.  Seemed like the completed sales on e-bay for this item were rather disappointing, but I don't think any of them were unpunched.  Is it not a very desired game, or would you say I might get something for the condition?  Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm 

It's an okay game - very few people play it and that drives (most of) the prices on AH games. What's the point of having the game if you have no one to play it with? That anyone would pay $10 for this thing would be a little surprising.

For people to play Avalon Hill games, they have to offer something unique that you can't get from Eurogames. Games like 1830, Rail Baron, Titan, Merchant of Venus, Advanced Civ, ASL, etc. all command premium prices because they remain highly popular games to play in old-school gaming circles/conventions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:It's an okay game - very few people play it and that drives (most of) the prices on AH games. What's the point of having the game if you have no one to play it with? That anyone would pay $10 for this thing would be a little surprising.

For people to play Avalon Hill games, they have to offer something unique that you can't get from Eurogames. Games like 1830, Rail Baron, Titan, Merchant of Venus, Advanced Civ, ASL, etc. all command premium prices because they remain highly popular games to play in old-school gaming circles/conventions.

Makes sense!  I need to figure out which games are popular and which are not, then.  So AH games differ a bit from D&D products in that they are obtained more for playing than for collecting, while D&D could be obtained for collecting or playing.  Thanks for the advice and info!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm 

staro wrote:
Makes sense!  I need to figure out which games are popular and which are not, then.  So AH games differ a bit from D&D products in that they are obtained more for playing than for collecting, while D&D could be obtained for collecting or playing.  Thanks for the advice and info!

Yeah - this dynamic can be seen by the prices of TSR gaming products - things like Dungeon!, Knights of Camelot, Divine Right, etc. These are not generally viewed as good games [I would say awful, but I digress]. Very, very few people play them. Yet they still draw relatively high prices. These are being purchased because of the logo [i.e., collectibility], not because of quality [playability].

With AH, all the games that I know are popular to play draw high prices. Titan, for instance, drew upwards of $100 before the reprint. Or 1830. Advanced Civ still draws prices over $100. It is not surprising that reprints kill the value of Avalon Hill originals - they are bought to play. And while there are certainly collectors of AH boardgames, they are relatively few in number.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:22 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Yeah - this dynamic can be seen by the prices of TSR gaming products - things like Dungeon!, Knights of Camelot, Divine Right, etc. These are not generally viewed as good games [I would say awful, but I digress]. Very, very few people play them. Yet they still draw relatively high prices. These are being purchased because of the logo [i.e., collectibility], not because of quality [playability].

With AH, all the games that I know are popular to play draw high prices. Titan, for instance, drew upwards of $100 before the reprint. Or 1830. Advanced Civ still draws prices over $100. It is not surprising that reprints kill the value of Avalon Hill originals - they are bought to play. And while there are certainly collectors of AH boardgames, they are relatively few in number.

Guessing Magic Realm is another one of those AH well-liked games.  I came across an unpunched one in really nice shape and sold it for a really nice price.  Thought I had struck gold twice with the Samurai one!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm 

Divine Right?  Have you played it? This is the first time I have heard it mentioned as an 'awful' game.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Yeah - this dynamic can be seen by the prices of TSR gaming products - things like Dungeon!, Knights of Camelot, Divine Right, etc. These are not generally viewed as good games [I would say awful, but I digress]. Very, very few people play them. Yet they still draw relatively high prices. These are being purchased because of the logo [i.e., collectibility], not because of quality [playability].

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Divine Right?  Have you played it? This is the first time I have heard it mentioned as an 'awful' game.

Yeah, my answer may be a little hyperbolic without elaboration. I suppose it comes down to what one means as "awful." To me, it's relative. If I would never want to play a game, then it falls into that category. That doesn't mean Divine Right is necessarily unpleasant to play [though it can be], or doesn't have good features [it does], but with the time investment required, there are just so many other games I would play over this.

It's like watching high school athletics when the Yankees are in town. In the landscape of boardgames - even fantasy boardgames - it's a minor player. Maybe a reprint with updated rules would change my mind. I think boardgamegeek has it ranked in the thousands.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm 

Dungeon! rules.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:10 pm 

copycat wrote:Dungeon! rules.

Agreed. I am a Dungeon! fan.

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:59 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:And while there are certainly collectors of AH boardgames, they are relatively few in number.

What are you basing this on? A search of completed ebay listings yields plenty of $100+ sales.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 am 

sauromatian wrote:
What are you basing this on? A search of completed ebay listings yields plenty of $100+ sales.

Yeah, that's a good point, but I think that falls in line with my perspective. I am basing my opinion on two things:

1) the knowledge that the most popular AH games to play, draw the highest prices. I play a lot of AH, although admittedly this is anecdotal. Those that are not played - see Samurai discussion above - no matter how good looking or obscure, draw little interest. If it were a collector's market, obscure stuff would be routinely drawing high prices, or so it would seem.

2) whenever there has been a reprint the resale value of originals has fallen dramatically (see Titan, ROR, 1830, et al). Beat up copies of Titan, for instance, drew prices upwards of $100-$120 a few years ago. Now they command little more than $40. Why? You can buy the reprint for $50.

I haven't done an econometric analysis of the matter, but it seems to me the drivers of prices are the gamers. The evidence you've offered to the contrary - in my view - serves to reinforce my conclusions.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm 

Chucho68 wrote:
Agreed. I am a Dungeon! fan.

Hector.

Yup... Dungeon the game Rocks!
And in no way is it a game to be bought just for the artwork, or whatever.
It is most certainly playable and LOADS of fun...
My grandkids and I play it often and it can still be purchased at low prices...
Realively speaking....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 pm 

I've thought about picking one up for awhile but just never done it.  Which version do you prefer?  From what I've seen, I like this version the best:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/424735/dungeon

It's colorful and has some great artwork.  I am also curious to find out which versions have the heavy cardstock boards (like Monopoly) and which have just a plain fold-out paper surface (like Warlocks & Warriors).

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:  I am also curious to find out which versions have the heavy cardstock boards (like Monopoly) and which have just a plain fold-out paper surface (like Warlocks & Warriors).

I have the 1975 purple and yellow portrait box version. It has a vinyl map and smaller playing cards. I think the monopoly type version is the 1981 version (that's the one that started it all for me, even before Moldvay Basic. It has a special place in my heart)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm 

The later printings are larger boxes about 2-1/2 times the length and roughly the same width as the older prints. They have the folding cardboard playing surface.
There are several printings of this one.

The early versions (purple box) are half the size and have the paper/vinyl folded boards.
I am certain that there are at least two printings of the Purple Box Version.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I am certain that there are at least two printings of the Purple Box Version.

Correct, the horizontal and vertical (each referring to the box position when the cover art is properly displayed).

There's also the Australian version, moderately rare.

We did the bigger box version so it'd be easier for kids to play.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Yeah, that's a good point, but I think that falls in line with my perspective. .. The evidence you've offered to the contrary - in my view - serves to reinforce my conclusions.

So are you saying that resistance is futile?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 pm 

the knowledge that the most popular AH games to play, draw the highest prices. I play a lot of AH, although admittedly this is anecdotal. Those that are not played - see Samurai discussion above - no matter how good looking or obscure, draw little interest. If it were a collector's market, obscure stuff would be routinely drawing high prices, or so it would seem.

As a long time board game and wargame collector I have to disagree with this strongly.

Live auction and online prices for Avalon Hill games like The Longest Day remain very high, at times reaching over $300, yet that is a rarely played game. It is highly collectible but is a very complex and involved game that has been done better more recently. It collected far more than it's played. Prices for the original still remain high. There are other examples of similar Avalon Hill wargames as well.

As for the question about Samurai specifically, prices have fallen on it recently and it's not a in demand game from a collectible stand point. It was not uncommon to see copies between $30 and $50 for one unpunched and in good condition. With the market being what it is prices have fallen and they are around $15-$25 right now, again condition being a critical factor.

I haven't played the game myself but plenty of wargame collectors I know of have said it's a good game. YMMV.

And while there are certainly collectors of AH boardgames, they are relatively few in number.

Another personal observation but I disagree with this as well. I know of many people that collect boardgames, wargames, and Avalon Hill games in particular. It's a strong enough market that there are as many buyers in the wargame session of various convention auctions as the collectible/RPG sessions. See Gencon as a good example.

Next