World of Greyhawk , Early Judges Guild, and an AD&D find
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm 

Hi All,

Apparently my 21 yr old son kept safe part of my collection I'd given him.  With his recent move they were found...

We now have:

1) A World of Greyhawk - folio either 1st or 2nd print.  For the life of me I can't tell if the Wizard is stamped or printed - but I think printed (making it a 2nd print)...

2) 2 stand alone Judges Guild maps "City State of the Invincible overlord"" with Decateur, IL  printed in the upper left corner and copyright stamp of 1976 - do these go with something else like part of a bigger set?

3) Judges Guild City State of the World Emperor (still in SW - but open and used) 3rd Print as Product list is titled "Treasure Vault" with the highest number = 560  not sure what "(w Pegasus)" refers to?

4) Judges Guild - (1st Printing) Judges Map:  11" x 17" double sided map Entrance to "Sunstone Caverns" copyright 1976 -

5) D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa - 5th Print "Used @ GenCon XI"  stamp.

If there's interest I'll get some pics up.

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 pm 

wutz_ina_name wrote:
1) A World of Greyhawk - folio either 1st or 2nd print.  For the life of me I can't tell if the Wizard is stamped or printed - but I think printed (making it a 2nd print)...

It's not the wizard logo in the lower left that you should be looking at, but the copyright date in the lower right.  That's the stamped/printed difference.  See the pics here:  http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/wrldgrey.html

All the stamped 1st prints I've seen have had the date a little higher up on the cover (compare to the green and yellow shield nearby), but I don't know that to always be the case.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 pm 

Nice finds.

1) Been inactively looking to obtain a 1st/2nd Folio.

2) Those sound like the City State of the Invincible Overlord maps, one judges - one players.
And since there are two large maps they are likely revised City State of the Invincible Overlord maps.

3) Very nice...

4) The Thunderhold / Sunset Caverns map sized 11"x17" is the Judges Copy and goes with the Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord Sets (prints 1-4).
With a complete set there would also be a small version of the Thunderhold side of that map which is the players copy (8-1/2"x11").

Would like to see pictures of items 1-4.
Especially the Folio Folder and book/maps and the City State of the World Emperor Books and the City Map for it as well.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:1) Been inactively looking to obtain a 1st/2nd Folio.

Didn't know you were looking, John.  If things don't work out to pick up a copy from wutz_ina_name, I can hook you up :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 am 

Allan,

Yes, I have several of the later prints, just never seem to be able to snag one of the earlier printings of the Folio's.
Either it goes higher than I wanted to spend (Mostly due to condition issues) or I misss it.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Nice finds.

1) Been inactively looking to obtain a 1st/2nd Folio.

2) Those sound like the City State of the Invincible Overlord maps, one judges - one players.
And since there are two large maps they are likely revised City State of the Invincible Overlord maps.

3) Very nice...

4) The Thunderhold / Sunset Caverns map sized 11"x17" is the Judges Copy and goes with the Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord Sets (prints 1-4).
With a complete set there would also be a small version of the Thunderhold side of that map which is the players copy (8-1/2"x11").

Would like to see pictures of items 1-4.
Especially the Folio Folder and book/maps and the City State of the World Emperor Books and the City Map for it as well.

Hi John,

I'm taking a bzillion pics for you.  I want to make sure you see every angle  :D

Do you still have my link to the collection?

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 pm 

wutz_ina_name wrote:Hi All,

If there's interest I'll get some pics up.

Here's pics -

Link to World of Greyhawk  https://picasaweb.google.com/1034727953 ... wIvclbbjHA

Link to City State of the World Emporer  
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034727953 ... tJChicP-dA

City State of the Invincible Overlord
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034727953 ... syKzN2EoAE

Thunderhold
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034727953 ... sqf5pLowQE

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 am 

The folio is a bit rough looking for me, but I have no doubt it would sell on e-Bay.
I think it is a 2nd print, though I am unsure.
From what I have seen, prices don't seem to differentiate much between a 1st and 2nd on e-Bay anyway.
Just show the Black lettering on the front and the bidders will jump.

City State of the World Emperor:
Looks solid, map is a bit dirty at the outer fold, but I saw no rips, so very solid looking.
Assuming no writing, highlighting, rips, tears, stains, funky smells, liquid/water damage... ect....
Nice set, worth Fine to VF prices.
I would not hesitate to list it on e-Bay without a BIN.... Let the bidders fight for it; I GUARANTEE you it wont go cheap.  8)
Or, if it does, that means I scared EV1 else off...  :lol:
If you list it, I would post the close-up shot of the set stored inside the baggie as the feature picture, and the shot showing everything spread out in one picture as well.
That should be plenty...
Do you know which print it is?
Check the highest product number on the rear of the cover sheet, then check this page...
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0150.html

CSIO Map: Judges guild copy... looks to be in excellent condition. I would buy it...

Thunderhold Map: Same as above...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am 

Nice Pictures.

- The folio does appear to be a second printing.

- If the baggie (with the World Emperor set) had the red Dungeons and Dragons logo on it, it would escalate the value of the item. So it could be just a normal baggie per se?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:The folio is a bit rough looking for me, but I have no doubt it would sell on e-Bay.
From what I have seen, prices don't seem to differentiate much between a 1st and 2nd on e-Bay anyway.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a 2nd (or 3rd) print (the copyright stamp). You could check the page 4 Map Symbols to eliminate it as a third.

I don't follow prices on these assiduously, but I don't recall seeing much of a price difference between 1sts and 2nds (when they're even distinguishable in the listing, that stamp height thing can be pretty subtle) either, and even the price differences between 1st/2nd and later printings aren't that significant. There's always interest when the older title font shows up, though.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:19 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Nice Pictures.

- The folio does appear to be a second printing.

- If the baggie (with the World Emperor set) had the red Dungeons and Dragons logo on it, it would escalate the value of the item. So it could be just a normal baggie per se?

Sorry nothing on the baggie / SW  just clear plastic.  It is the one original it came in when purchased.  

On a side note - it is somewhat disturbing to me (hehe) I had to think for a few to recall your avatar is that of a Mind Flayer...  there's a thought I have not had in at least 25+ yrs....

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:32 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a 2nd (or 3rd) print (the copyright stamp). You could check the page 4 Map Symbols to eliminate it as a third.

I don't follow prices on these assiduously, but I don't recall seeing much of a price difference between 1sts and 2nds (when they're even distinguishable in the listing, that stamp height thing can be pretty subtle) either, and even the price differences between 1st/2nd and later printings aren't that significant. There's always interest when the older title font shows up, though.

Thanks for pointing out the check between 2 & 3.  No map symbols on page 4 of the Gazetteer (so I'm calling it a 2nd print).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:10 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:The folio is a bit rough looking for me, but I have no doubt it would sell on e-Bay.

City State of the World Emperor:
Looks solid, map is a bit dirty at the outer fold, but I saw no rips, so very solid looking.
Assuming no writing, highlighting, rips, tears, stains, funky smells, liquid/water damage... ect....
Nice set, worth Fine to VF prices.
I would not hesitate to list it on e-Bay without a BIN.... Let the bidders fight for it; I GUARANTEE you it wont go cheap.  8)
Or, if it does, that means I scared EV1 else off...  :lol:
If you list it, I would post the close-up shot of the set stored inside the baggie as the feature picture, and the shot showing everything spread out in one picture as well.
That should be plenty...
Do you know which print it is?
Check the highest product number on the rear of the cover sheet, then check this page...
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0150.html

CSIO Map: Judges guild copy... looks to be in excellent condition. I would buy it...

Thunderhold Map: Same as above...

CSWE is 3rd print as the highest product # is 560 (I had that in an earlier post but there's a lot of info I shared.)  I just realized that 2 of the maps are nearly identical (but one does not have the same level of detail as the other)  Both are of the same terrain / location.   I used one as a playing aid and had added some pencil.  I'll post a couple new pics...

CSIO Maps - have very slight 1/8 - 1/4" tears at the crease in a couple of places.  They are think so folding stresses the creases.  I've always been careful to fold maps the same way.  Pet peeve against those who don't..  Tears are not noticeable unless looking specifically for  them.  Edges are crisp.

Thunderhold about 1/16 - 1/8" of corner frayed away.  So you won't be able to poke an eye out (hehe).

Sounds like you'll pass on the WGh folio (this is the most worn of the items) so I'll list on e-bay and note in the classified here on Acaeum.

Shoot me an offer if interested in the others.  

I didn't see the same appraisal info here that exists for the OD&D White box & Supps. I-IV.  

The only thing I've seen on CSWE was a GenCon sale at $100  and some individual pieces from the set on e-bay for $17.95.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm 

wutz_ina_name wrote:Sounds like you'll pass on the WGh folio (this is the most worn of the items) so I'll list on e-bay and note in the classified here on Acaeum.

The folio isn't too bad. The gazetteer has some staple rust, which is the worst part. The folio itself has moderate wear, but that's typical. It's almost impossible to find one outside of S/W without at least a bit of that. And the maps look pretty well preserved to me, which is of course the real function of the folder after all :) (plus, the folio maps are on heavier stock and hold up better than the box set version). I have a few of these, and my best folder is only slightly better than the one you've got. You should do relatively well with it on eBay.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm 

wutz_ina_name wrote:
1) A World of Greyhawk - Folio 2nd print.  

3) Judges Guild City State of the World Emperor (still in SW - but open and used) 3rd Print (Product list titled "Treasure Vault" the highest number = 560)  

I noted in classifieds for more details - auctions for these 2 starts tonight.