Mercury Games - 3 books - Please help me place a value
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:05 pm 

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area, but I found three small books - Mercury Games - Lord Farrick's Keep, Lair of the Spider Mother, and one that I couldn't find anything on at all - and it's also by Mercury Games.  It's called to the Aid of Dwarves by David W. Elliott (it is from 1985).  The inside of the one called to the Aid of Dwarves says it's "as part of the Plains of Keil series", and that one appears to be unread - absolute perfect conditon (except for the thrift store price on the back of it (arghh! :))...  I was going to put these on e-bay but am not sure what price range or value they have.  I understand that Mercury Games was out of Naugatuck, CT and these were found in Waterbury (next town over).  Thanks for any help.  I took some photos but couldn't figure out how to add them...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:14 pm 

Here's a little bit about them:

about343.html

Pretty sure others will join in and give you more specific details about value.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm 

Where did you get the information about a 'third' Mercury Games book from? Can you post photos? If it is a Mercury Games module, and consistent in production and styling with the other two, it's worth maybe $200. As for Lord Farrick's Keep and Lair of the Spider Mother, they're both in the $80 - $150 bracket, and price depends on the condition of the copy, and the timing of your listings.

These are the two that I am aware of....
http://www.afterglow2.com/Product/Mercury.htm

If you have a 'third' unknown Mercury Games module, I'd post pictures and solicit private interest from board members. Two or three members here will be willing to make you good offers to give it a new home.

At the very least, all of us unable to buy it would love to see some photos.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

Here is a link to see the photos of the book.  The third one is the one that perplexes me as I can't find anything out about it.  Thanks again for all of the info!

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r570/Sherri9099/

Please let me know if that link doesn't work - I just set up the account and uploaded the pictures.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 pm 

Its possible that "to the aid of dwarves" is a prototype but it might also have been a late release.  From the rarity of Spider Mother and especially Lord Farrick's Keep, I'm guessing not too many of these were sold.  Cost of producing full colour covers might have caught up with them so production values went down.  Obviously still a very limited release.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm 

A whole bunch of want lists just grew by one...

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:26 pm 

Mars wrote:Its possible that "to the aid of dwarves" is a prototype but it might also have been a late release.  From the rarity of Spider Mother and especially Lord Farrick's Keep, I'm guessing not too many of these were sold.  Cost of producing full colour covers might have caught up with them so production values went down.  Obviously still a very limited release.

The game is afoot....!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 pm 

Actually rereading Grodog's post about the prepub he had, I'm a bit more convinced this one is an actual item.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 pm 

I added a few more photos of the inside of the to the Aid of Dwarves on the photobucket link.

And also, if anyone knows anything about the other photo I posted... it was in the same group of things that I found, it's called Tyrants of Yitar, and then Pizza Wars by Heathen Thorn Enterprises - I think the author is James LaFond.  I am not sure if these have any real value or not.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 pm 

Generally the games don't sell for nearly as much as rarer small press RPG stuff.

If you could get $10-$20 for Pizza wars you are probably doing well.  Tyrants looks more fantasy oriented so maybe $25ish.

In today's market, for "To the Aid of Dwarves" you should ask Bill if he wants it for $300.  On Ebay, depends if David or I want to bid him up or not.  If not then probably $125-$150ish.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 pm 

The dwarves book is listed on e-bay - item number  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
.  Thanks all for the information you provided - it was extremely helpful! .

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm 

Curious to see where this one ends.  Offer of $300 before Ebay auction turned down (seems like the going rate of the last 2 weeks).  Only bid less than half of that on Ebay.  I'd don't plan on running Bill up :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 am 

TBH, if you offered $300, he should have taken it. Or at least said, "I've had an offer of $300, if anyone wants to make an alternate offer, I'll keep it open for 7 days and then sell to the highest bidder." Even if they don't actively post, the occasional big money players on eBay still lurk and watch what goes through here.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 am 

That much bid in an e-Bay auction listing would be much less after the fees....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 am 

Yeah, I advised her to sell here, and skip the ebay fees.  Oh well.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:TBH, if you offered $300, he should have taken it.

I made an offer of $500 for Lord Farrick and Dwarves (i.e. $300 for Dwarves and $200 for Lord Farrick).  I'll take my chances on finding the author and get copies that way, now.

It really depends on motives.  If it is strictly money oriented then yes, probably should have taken it.  A nice gain on the $2 purchase price.  And really the prices are based on the actions of the last couple of weeks.  I would have offered/valued them at probably $200 less a month ago.

I am doubting that the auction will hit the $300 mark.  4 people have been in the running for bids over $150(?) in recent weeks.  Safe to say 2 of them are out of the bidding here.  The 3rd has been outbid on all the goodies lately too so will he continue or move to a higher bid?  Who knows.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm 

Well, I'm out after it hits £100, and there's no way anyone here is gonna let it go that low, so it'll be the usual suspects fighting over this. I think it'll top $300, but I don't see it hitting $350. She should have taken the $500, or at least asked for advice if she wanted certainty of maximising her return. I didn't know you were missing Lord Farrick's Keep, Mark.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 pm 

The guy who designed Tyrants of Yitar and Pizza Wars has a website here:

http://www.jameslafond.com

There is a "Lafond's Games" section which describes these and other games. He says there were 1700 copies sold of Pizza Wars and 30 of Yitar (out of 35 he produced).

Next