Request for help on Grading & Valuation - with flickr li
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm 

I would really appreciate some feedback on how people would grade the following items.  

Monster Manual: 1st Printing
PHB: 1st Printing
Deities & Demigods with Cthulhu: 1st Printing
DM Screen: 1979 printing, think this is first printing
DMG: 4th Printing

PHB Softcover: 1st Printing
MM Softcover:: 3rd Printing

http://www.flickr.com/cygnet4723

I've looked at the guidelines on here.  But as I've never seen many items graded by other people, I'm not that confident about what I'm coming up with.  So its hard to me to know what to charge for them, and I'm not sure that I'm describing them correctly to people I'm trading with.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on valuations, but if I'm confident on grading, then general valuations are not that difficult to work out - even though I know that each buyer may want more information and may value different types of flaws differently.

Thank you.

Dominic

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm 

DM Screen yes, it is a 1st print.
Is that Tape across the right edge?
If so, then maybe $35-$40 if someone wants one badly.
Also do not have pics of inside.
Other than the tape it looks really nice...
so.... Fine + almost VF
Without that tape... close to NM I think... NICE...

PHB with the yellow endpapers?
VG +

MM 1st hardcover... Hard for me to say as I have one listed right now.
VG +

DMG
VG

Deities & Demigods with Cthulhu: 1st Printing
Fine to VF -    has edge wear and rounded corners, if no writting and NICE inside, VF would not be outrageous IMO

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 pm 

I would rate everything as "Good," with the exception of the Deities and Demigods and the DM Screen which are probably "Very Good."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 am 

More photos added re screen.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:00 pm 

To help update the database, I got the following

Monster Manual: 1st Printing.  $119.99 Ebay Item number:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

DM Screen: 1979 printing. $40 from Noble Knight

SC Monster Manual currently on ebay.

Have not put the PHB: 1st Printing or Deities & Demigods with Cthulhu: 1st Printing, up yet.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 pm 

Are you based in the UK or in the US?
Your listings are confusing as they are US listings but your Acaeum ID indicates that you're in the UK.
For UK listings, most of your prices are at least 50% higher than they should be, presuming you're wanting to sell stuff and create a customer base. But I realise you may be trying to establish yourself as a prestige outlet and pricing yourself into that bracket.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:59 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Are you based in the UK or in the US?
Your listings are confusing as they are US listings but your Acaeum ID indicates that you're in the UK.
For UK listings, most of your prices are at least 50% higher than they should be, presuming you're wanting to sell stuff and create a customer base. But I realise you may be trying to establish yourself as a prestige outlet and pricing yourself into that bracket.

I live in the UK, but am currently working on a medium term project in the US, so I'm crossing the pond fairly regularly.  My ebay listings tend to track where I'll be a few days after their ending!

I'm selling down a bunch of my old games rather than trying to establish a business.  I got into RPGs quite heavily in the 80s, and also arranged bulk ordering for a number of University clubs at the same time - so I have about 20 boxes at my parents.... While I have recently started playing and buying again, it's time to thin down the duplicates, and the things that I'll never have time to play given work :( .  But once it is gone, it is gone.

I'm feeling my way with pricing.  Crudely, I started with Acaeum prices, or about two thirds of Noble Knight / T&T levels for the rare stuff, and about half of their prices on the ones that they are full of.  So if I am 50% over market on something it is more likely to be accident than design.  But I have sold or swapped about 150 games so far, will be quite happy to end up with 10 boxes rather than 20, and US levels do seem to be a bit higher than UK.  However I'm also sure that the ones I priced right or too low will go first, leaving me with the ones that I've overvalued (or don't care to part with).  So I'd always welcome a friendly PM with valuations advice or an offer.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?610 ... r-Purchase

A couple of people here were kind in helping me calibrate grading.  So I wanted to try and give something back by letting the community know what I got for them.

Dominic

Last edited by cygnet on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 pm 

Lucky you. You may be able to hit the Con's if you have the time. Especially NRTRPGCon (North Texas RPG Con). There are a lot of us in the UK who wish we could attend sometime.

As regards selling items, the best way unless you are absolutely attached to a particular item for some reason, is to list with decent photos at 99p and just let the market dictate the value. So long as your photos are good, your likely to get +/-15% of each item's real current value, and over a spread of 100 or so items, you'll pretty much be getting what they are worth. They are also far more likely to sell rather than telling people how much they should be bidding for your goods. As I say, if you're building a shop and want to establish a certain prestige and clientelle, you're doing the right thing, but should be weeding out the mundane and the less than perfect, but if you're trying to sell, the prices are above what most people would be willing to pay.

A big mistake a lot of newbies to eBay make, is looking at other people's asking prices and then at Amazon to try to assess what their price should be. What you should be looking at is previous sale prices and what buyers are willing to pay for an item and not what some fanatsist thinks he might get for his books. It's hard with some things, but then for every week or month you fail to sell, that's a whole new set of listing fees you've written off against any eventual sale price. It's tough sometimes, but trusting the free market is a fairly robust tactic.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.