Condition of OD&D box or booklets
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:10 pm 

I haven't quite come to term with the idea of selling my copy of OD&D, but just in case madness strikes me, how important is the condition of the actual box?

My box is second printing, but the box itself is falling to pieces. The booklets inside are in much better condition (though they are worn from years of gaming). How would that be appraised? Will the poor condition of the box bring everything down?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:25 pm 

oldtimer57 wrote:I haven't quite come to term with the idea of selling my copy of OD&D, but just in case madness strikes me, how important is the condition of the actual box?

My box is second printing, but the box itself is falling to pieces. The booklets inside are in much better condition (though they are worn from years of gaming). How would that be appraised? Will the poor condition of the box bring everything down?

Most certainly!

When, or if, you sell, you have to fully describe the condition of both the box and the contents.  Everything matters, from staple rust, to cigarette smell, to price stickers, tape, everything.  Some things matter more to different people.  There are buyers who want a play copy and the box isn't that important at all, but to collectors, it's very important.   I hope that helps.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:38 pm 

Sadly, yes. The woodgrain box probably carries two-thirds to three-quarters of the total value.
Personally I always thought the "value" was in playing the books rather than the box, but that's not the way things seem to work $-wise.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm 

Not sure it's so much that poor boxes bring the price down as it is pristine boxes that bring the price up. Everyone expects wear on the box, hell the box serves to protect the books after all. That's why minty boxes are rare and add disproportionately to the value of a woodgrain.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 am 

Back in the day, a lot of people carried extra books, character sheets, dice, etc. in the box.  Therefore, the box took the brunt of the wear.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 am 

ddt58 wrote:Back in the day, a lot of people carried extra books, character sheets, dice, etc. in the box.  Therefore, the box took the brunt of the wear.

I always felt that my full box was better protected from being crushed. =)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 am 

What busman said...
The perception may be incorrect, but I have always thought that as well.
(NOT including Dice) Box filled with books = less likelyhood of crushing.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM