Opinions on Documentation restoration
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 am 

All -

Thx again for sharing all your knowledge, critiques, and advise.  BTW - I did do a user name change (self-explanatory) from lvwhitin....

Has anyone / would you seek out a document restoration service for your own collection - assuming you display it or to increase value prior to a sale??

Now that a deal for the Dungeoneer mags appears near completion, I'd like to turn attention to the remaining part of the collection and maybe have some e-bay fun.   From the input provided it appears parting it out is the way to go.

Have you, ever heard of anyone, use a document restoration service on material prior to resale?

Yes the tape marks / residue really bothers me too - but hey who tells a kid don't "play" with your toys - they "MAY" (more likely may not) be valuable collector's items "some day"....  RIIIIGGGHHHHHTT - Nope,  this kid played with the stuff and used tape to hold it together, preventing the lose of pages... I'm glad to say all of you have been very cool and no one has flamed me.

My thought is, unlike most cases in the Antiques Roadshow,  it would not be worth it unless I was doing it for my own enjoyment - but that's why I'm asking you...

Lloyd

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 am 

I'd never restore anything unless it was truely unique and of noteworthy significance and quality. Very little any of us have in our collections falls into that catagory. Paying a document restorer to restore a copy of Dungeoneer is like paying a french polishor to buff out the shite on the benches in the park.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 am 

Agree with mbassoc2003.  Nothing in my collection would warrant this.  However, my paintings are another story.  I would use restoration for them depending on price and what restoration can be done.

Martin

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 am 

Prufrock wrote:Agree with mbassoc2003.  Nothing in my collection would warrant this.  However, my paintings are another story.  I would use restoration for them depending on price and what restoration can be done.

Martin

Thanks both - That was my was my thought.  I wouldn't on the Dungeoneers anyway as they are in great shape.  I was thiking the White Box 4th ptint & vols - 1-3;  more for sentimental reasons than resale value - which complicates the value proposition...

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am 

Thats a tough question... restoration of posters and books can increase the value if done correctly. Problem is it can cost more than its worth. Comics, on the other hand, nearly always lose value when restored. Gaming materials...don't know where they would lie.

My opinion? If you are doing it for yourself and plan on keeping it then go for it. Make sure to research the restorer and check references, don't be afraid to ask for before and after shots of work they have done.

Good luck:)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 am 

Right now, your 4th print white box set is (at best) in good condition (there is a thread dedicated to that topic).
That said, I doubt anyone anywhere could restore the box, books and ref. sheets to better than Good + to Very Good overall.
Not being a restorer (or even knowing anyone who does that type of specialized work) obviously I do not know what the costs would be for restoring a 4th print white box set and contents.
But I suspect that the end value (restored) would not come close to the cost of restoration.

Since you are asking about doing this for re-sale, I would think it would not be cost effective to do so.
Even if it was something you simply want to keep and wanted to restore for posterity, it would probably cost more than the set would ever be worth.
But it would probably not cost anything and would not hurt to find out...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM