Autographed DMG (1979, 1st printing)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 am 

I have a copy of a first edition DMG autographed by Gary himself. I won it at Dragonmeet (a game convention in England) some time in August 1979.

It's not in any fantastic condition, the cover is fairly worn, but Gary's autograph might count for something. Any guess as to its worth?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 am 

someone had asked a similar question several months back, so I'm just copying the reply from the link. Do you have a photo you could post?

viewtopic.php?t=11794&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=autograph*

misterspock wrote:The autograph is really tough to quantify. I've seen the run-of-the mill PHB 6th prints and DMGs later prints that have Gary's autograph go sometimes relatively inexpensive (approx $30-$50) and sometimes towards $120-$180. However, the higher end ones were early/1st prints of the DMG or PHB.

I would generally figure the Gary autograph could add about $15-$30 ontop of the actual value of the book. However, the fact that your book actually came from the first batch sold at that GenCon AND has the specific signature to prove it I think adds even more value. It's hard to tell the condition of the book from the photos (are there any other notes or scribbles, marks, stains in the book?) I'd figure if the book is in good condition, you could start out the bidding at $75-$100 and see where it goes. I think there's been a Gary-mania sweeping through over the last year so I could see it doing well.

btw, getting further autographs I think could add some value. Maybe figure $10 per signature, that would be my guess.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm 

Thank you. Here are some photos of the book:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm 

That's a pretty high resolution copy of EGG's signiature there. Could be used by an unscrupulous passer by for things we may not wish to see.  :D

It's a great item.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.