My Orignal D&D new link in classifieds - with link to pi
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 am 

Hi All,

I figure this is the best place to start.   I have the following items I would like to get values on for the purpose of selling in this forum.  I really did my homework researching the editions / prints & conditions based on the forum.  I feel I have been a bit harsh on condition as my dad has been a avoid book collector....

Here's the list and can provide more details as requested:

Box set (4th Print - White box) - Fourth Printing (Nov 1975) - Cond. - Good
Chainmail 3rd Edition / 2nd print (July 1975) - Cond. Very Fine
Greyhawk Supplement I - 2nd Print - Cond. Good
Blackmoor Supplement II - 1st Print (1975) Cond. NM
Eldritch Wizardry Supplement III - 1st Print (Jul 1976) Cond. - Very Fine
Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes Supplment IV - 1st 3rd Print (1976) Cond. Very Fine
Swords & Spells - 1st Print (1976) Cond - Very Fine

"The Dungeoneer" Individual Magazines 1976 Vol 1 #2-6  all 1st prints -  (sorry never got the very 1st 1) -  Cond.  Near Mint

Outdoor Survival Board game (not sure which edition as it's back home in Michigan) - Cond. Fine

A D&D Pewter Figurines in original box- Grenadier Models In - 5001 Dungeon Explores - Cond. - Fine (1 figure has broken off at base which the base is not in the box).

Thanks for your input

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Last edited by wutz_ina_name on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 am 

Nice collection you have. :)  Since you posted in the Classifieds as well, it seems you are interested in selling.  Any photos you can share would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks again.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:55 am 

Dungeoneer's should go well. The rest are pretty run of the mill stuff. Most likely to get the best proce on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 am 

I assume you have seen the Acaeum's listed pricing indexes for your items, so no reason to qoute prices here, but I will do so below....
ASSUMING you offer plenty of pics to the buyers and your Condition statements are accurate.
(No reason for now to doubt your eyes).

However, IMO you Most definately need to offer buyers pictures and lots of them.
I for one could not even make a realistic offer on any of those items without pics.

(Sarcasm on) Sight unseen, I will offer you $50 for it all... (Sarcasm off)

With pics, the first print supplements II and III should get $50, likely a good deal higher.
Swords and Spells, maybe not so much.
Chainmail, should do as well as the first print supplements, perhaps higher.
Second Print Greyhawk and GD&H probably in the $20-$30 range.

The Fourth Print OD&D Set could get a heck of a lot more if in great condition and complete.
You stated it is in good condition, but is that all of it, or only the box?
For me I would have to see (in pics) some evidence that it is indeed a fourth print and not a 5th.
Not that I do not trust you, but you are new here and might have made an error.
Plus I have been burned in the past.

The Minis.... a complete set with one broken base...
Without pictures you are not likely to get much.
What condition is the box itself in?
Is the flyer with the minis pictured on it present?
All the padding present and in great condition?
Even with pics, perhaps $15 here, on e-Bay MAYBE $20.

Outdoor Survival.
If someone offers you $10 (or more) plus shipping, snap that offer up and get that money quickly before he sobers up.

At the very least:
The Dungeoneer Mags I would sell on e-Bay, along with the 4th print OD&D White box Set.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Nice collection you have. :)  Since you posted in the Classifieds as well, it seems you are interested in selling.  Any photos you can share would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks again.

I know I know - I wouldn't do a thing if I were all of you without pics first...

Frankly I didn't expect so many to pounce so soon - A great position to be in though..  Pricing will be in-line with the values listed on Acaeum.  

I will do what I can to answer any questions regrading items.

I well selling it all as either a the whole collection or parted out.  -  I need to fund my new addiction - Franklin Mint Armour diecast WWII aircraft .  

I will get a bunch of pics up very soon.  Hopefully later today...

Lloyd

Purchased my own D&D material (1976) when $5, $10, & $15 were huge amounts for a 10 yr old...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 pm 

Older editions of Outdoor Survival have cover art extending to the sides of the box top, while later reprints have orange sides.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote:Older editions of Outdoor Survival have cover art extending to the sides of the box top, while later reprints have orange sides.

I'm pretty certain the scenic view (Outdoor Survival) wraps around the sides.  It's late 70's as well.  I just don't know if it's 1st print (pre-AH) or not.  I don't have the box at my place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 pm 

Was there ever a completely pre-AH version published? Boardgamegeek says that "This off-beat subject matter was undertaken at the request of Stackpole Books who underwrote half of the development costs." My copy (a 1st or 2nd print) credits both AH & Stackpole. There is however Stackpole Books' "Outdoor Survival: An Essential Guide," which appears to draw from similar material, but is not a game.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:49 pm 

sauromatian wrote: pre-AH version published

I'm glad I hovered over the about area, as I did think that AH was typically shorthand for Asshat around these parts....  8O

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 pm 

sauromatian wrote:Was there ever a completely pre-AH version published? Boardgamegeek says that "This off-beat subject matter was undertaken at the request of Stackpole Books who underwrote half of the development costs." My copy (a 1st or 2nd print) credits both AH & Stackpole. There is however Stackpole Books' "Outdoor Survival: An Essential Guide," which appears to draw from similar material, but is not a game.

I'll have to wait until my next trip back home to Mich.  I grew up playing strategy games, Outdoor Survival (unrelated to D&D) was 1 of many.  D&D just recommended using the hex board do to the various terrain of Outdoor Survival for D&D Wilderness adventures.  

I should clarify the "pre-AH" reference was to the logo being printed on the OS box.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 pm 

You likely already know this:

If you sell your entire collection to one bidder, you are definately going to limit the number of folks who would be able to make offers for the collection.

You will also get much less (total) than you would by selling the items individually.

Even if you sold all of the items on e-Bay.

For instance, I am interested in +/- 5 items and as such I might be able to offer a bit more for those specific items alone than the sum of the total.

I have owned several copies of Outdoor Survival, and despite the historical significance of the game in general as something that was sometimes used as an aid for other games, I never paid over $10 plus shipping for any of them.

I paid a penny (plus shipping) for one copy.

After going through several copies; I kept the best copy for my collection and sold the rest at no profit years ago.

IMO despite the old masters and fathers of the RPG genre, it's historical significance is pretty vague and highly limited.

Most folks do not even know the background stories either.

I never even thought about which prints I had though I know I went through at least 2 different prints of the sets I had BITD.

Just did a quick search for them on e-Bay and IMO almost all of the 26 copies listed right now are overpriced.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:18 pm 

I've had a look at the pics you've posted, but for me the White Box set is questionable as good, but that may just be my own opinion. Just see what other comments come through, but I hope you get a fair price for your items and history :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:I've had a look at the pics you've posted, but for me the White Box set is questionable as good, but that may just be my own opinion. Just see what other comments come through, but I hope you get a fair price for your items and history :)

ashmire13,

I really appreciate you taking the time to look and providing your input.  On the white box I original had graded it Fair to Good at best.  After reviewing the grading criteria I bumped it up to just Good.  I agree it's questionable as good - so I believe we're in sync.  

I personally feel the grading criteria is quite generous especially with (VF, NM & Mint grades) as well as from what I see in the associated pics.  Had I never read the grading criteria or viewed the associated pics, I would have graded a some things 1 or 2 grades lower.  

To me Mint = Still in Shrink & NM = just that, near mint - the grading criteria certainly does not read this way from the examples within.  I digress....

Ironically - I've already had another opinion total confuse me with a observations from my pics that are contrary to the pictorial evidence let alone the grading criteria...  gamesmanship??  

I realize grading is somewhat subjective, it's part of the negotiation process, and why this is all part of the fun!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

I already sent an offer on the Dungeoneers, so it doesn't hurt to share my thoughts on their condition. Transparency is a good thing, IMO:

#2 1st print: edge wear: Fine (solidly so)
The back cover picture is blurry, so it's hard to see the details clearly, but there are some corner dings, some possible staple rust, and I'm concerned about the whiteness of the spine compared to the surface. The front cover picture shows some thumb impressions (I think) along the right edge, and I'm concerned that I can't see the top & bottom edges. This is definitely the best one of the bunch.

#3 1st print: some edge wear/roughness and discoloration: Fine (maybe)
The front cover pic shows staining on the right edge (maybe some on the left edge), a definite yellowing of the edges, irregular wear on the pages, some stress to the spine, a staple that might be rusting, and a small corner ding. The back cover shows some grubbyness along the spine, probably from handling; it might also show the start of a split at the top of the spine.

#4 1st print: edge wear & dirty patches on the back cover: Fine (maybe)
The pictures show stuff similar to those on #3, but with different positions and so on. I think #4 is slightly better condition than #3.

#5: edge wear, dirty, staining, creases: VG
The front cover picture shows what might be a long crease/fold along the spine, some irregular edge wear on the exposed pages, and the obvious staining on the title area. The back cover pic shows the creases at the bottom-left, a ding at the top left, some possible rust stains along the spine (makes me worry about staple rust, obviously, either on this one or another), and a distinct darkening along the top and bottom edges.

#6: staining and stuff: VG to Fine
Front picture shows that spine edge creasing (like on #5), stain at the bottom-right of the picture, a couple in the title header, edge wear of the pages, and possibly some discoloration at the top. Back cover pic shows lots of stains.

(I might have mixed up the back cover pictures between #5 and #6, so I apologize if I did.)

And for *all* of those, there are no interior pictures, nor can we see the spines directly (to look for stress), so it's hard to make a full assessment. The offer I made took that into account.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 am 

Just my opinion.
Worth all that you paid for it...  :lol:

4th print OD&D White Box Set

Box - Fair at best for me, with a reluctant shrug to you guys saying Good, only due to it still being in two pieces using tape to hold it together...
The only things missing are a humongous price Sticker (though the tape exceeds that), a bunch or writing (or spilled paint), and crushing...
... sorry, never mind... This box is in POOR condition.

Books overall: Hard to say since we cannot see the spines clearly, and most of the pictures do not show the staples inside or out, but Fair + (generally) seems appropriate from what I can see.

Vol 1 - Men and Magic - Poor to Fair (at best): the tape along spine screws the value up for me, initials at top right corner, dinged corners shelf wear is moderate inside pages stained AND some pages are separated from the book, and the staples clearly rusty.

Vol 2 - The Underworld and Wilderness - Good: Wear at spine is obvious even with the flat pictures. Initials yet again and rounded corners, however, with no tape on the spine I give this one a bump up to good, normal shelf wear, with some staining.

Vol 3 - Monster and Treasure: Fair: Tape along spine, initials, and rounded corners again... normal shelf wear, with some staining.

Reference Sheets - probably good, at least two sheets have a lot of yellowing though, and initials on every sheet (umnnn... really?) and looks like more writing on at least one of the sheets, however the picture is unclear.

Overall grade for me for the 4th print?
Fair at best, defiantly a Space holder/playing/reading copy...

General statement regarding the Supplement Books and Dungeoneers below:
I cannot agree with NM unless you post additional pictures, especially the spine and staples (inside and outside).

Chainmail - I can live with VF+, but NM is not for me here; corner dings making it impossible for me agree with NM.
I do agree it is a fine looking copy though and Close to NM.

Greyhawk - Poor... honestly the book is falling apart with several pages loose inside, the spine is heavily worn, looks to me like the book once had tape along the spine but it was later removed (Staining), the front cover has stains all over it and name at top right corner. Reading copy at best.

Blackmoor - Probably VF+, if spine is solid and no rust, then I could go NM here.

Eldritch Wizardry - Fine+... rear cover has a slim though clearly heavy stain running almost the entire length of spine (more tape from the past?) and other front cover shows wear near spine as well, though not bad.

GD&H - Fine+... Rear has significant staining and looks like might have rusty staples...

Swords and Spells - Fine... Again rear cover shows a lot of shelf wear and staining, front cover has some sort of stain at top right corner, lower right corner dinged (rounded).

Dungeoneer magazines

#2: VF (Solidly)
#3: Fine (Solidly)
#4: Fine to VF, I also like it more than #3.
#5 VG to Fine, I like this one more than #6 below
#6: Good to VG, the stains on rear cover are pretty bad.

I had intended to send an offer for the Dungeoneers, but as he likes the mags as being higher grade, I wont be outbidding Mr. Fullerton... so I recon not.

FWIW: Items in Original Shrink Wrap are not nessessarily Mint.
Not even close...
And I have seen items NOT in SW that are IMO as close to Mint as it gets, without being fresh off the printing press that is.

Good luck with selling your collection.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 am 

I agree with Gnat on condition notes.  Nothing here looks near mint to me, and overall you've graded these items too high.  The Dungeoneers look pretty nice, and a complete 4th print whitey always attracts attention, as do 1st print suppies.  However, I think you'll get more by parting out your collection than you will by selling it as a lot.  

If it's got sentimental value, hold on to your collection.  If you're really interested in selling, then obviously you want to maximize your take, so sell it off piece by piece.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I had intended to send an offer for the Dungeoneers, but as he likes the mags as being higher grade, I wont be outbidding Mr. Fullerton... so I recon not.

Might as well try anyway. My offer was for less than the sum of the valuations (based on the conditions I listed). Though I bet he's received more offers than just mine, of course. If NKG is observing, they'd likely offer more than me, for example, assuming they wanted an extra copy of #2-#6 in their inventory.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:36 pm 

tiro wrote:I agree with Gnat on condition notes.  Nothing here looks near mint to me, and overall you've graded these items too high.  

Glad it wasnt just me then..

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Next