A long shot, probably OT appraisal question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm 

I'm wondering if any of you have any knowledge (or can point me toward said knowledge) of the value of a computer game I found the other day.  It is Ultima III: Exodus from 1983  I happen to have found the Apple version (not Macintosh or any of the PC versions), and I can't find much of any info on that version in regards to value.  Found some info about the game at http://www.notableultima.com/collectibles/Title_U3.html which was interesting.  I haven't seen any on ebay since I found it (about a month and a half ago).  It's in really good condition.  It doesn't have the registration card or the letter from Lord British, and I don't know if the disk works.  But the cloth map, books, and box are really nice.

Since it's a fantasy-based computer game and collectible, I thought someone might know about it here!  Thanks for any info!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 pm 

It really depends on what "print" it is - these were released, and rereleased and rereleased some more.  It has also been put into various compilation packages.  Missing the registration card and letter from Lord British does hamper the value.  I don't think Apple versions are quite as popular/collectible as C64 versions either - the Apple version might have been release a bit after the C64 version.

Its probably worth about $15-$20 but you might push for $25.  Ultima III is really where the number of copies started to explode - it was even available for the Nintendo.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:14 am 

Hey Mars,

Are you an expert in vintage software?

I've got a lot of old Apple IIc/e stuff, mostly with original boxes and contents, I may be trying to clear out for space reasons sometime in the next year or so.

I'd like to see it kept in a museum, or scanned and emulated, or the like, for preservation's sake.  But I wouldn't be adverse to private collectors and/or making some decent coin on it, either.

Anything known about how to make that happen would be great.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Odds are pretty much most (or all) of what you have has already been archived as a rom file somewhere.  There are lots of sites that have rom archives for just about every computer and console imaginable.

You could also check some of the forums dedicated to early gaming/archiving like these:

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/
http://www.old-computers.com/forum/frameset.asp
http://www.theoldcomputer.com/forum/
http://www.mobygames.com/forums

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:41 am 

I am by no means an expert but I did collect a bunch of these, also have a large stack of C64 and Amiga games still around from BITD, etc.

As always, your best bet it so do a search on Ebay for a few weeks and see what your titles are selling for.  Chances are that all the games in your collection have already been scanned in and saved in some type of format that the various emulators can use and are probably freely available for download from some website - I'm not sure about the legality of this is but that's another topic.

There are a number of collectors out there for old games and some do get good prices.  It really depends on the title.  Ultima is one of those lines that a lot of people remember fondly and it spurred into Ultima Online, etc so it has a good following.  Some of the earlier/rare ones or compilation packs do get into the $50-$100 range.

About the only museum type environment that I know of that would take this kind of stuff is in Rochester:

National Museum of Play (Rochester):
http://www.thestrong.org/online-collect ... /68&page=1

I don't really care for this place much - it doesn't seem like the items are available to the public and there was some guy who from there who showed up on our forums to say that he had an item in his collection, blah, blah, blah but it was really that he worked for this place and they had the item.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 am 

Mars wrote:Some of the earlier/rare ones or compilation packs do get into the $50-$100 range.

This one blows me away though:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Never played it but always heard it was a shit game.  I guess its because it is the "Dragon Edition"...whatever the heck that means.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

This one blows me away though:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Never played it but always heard it was a shit game.  I guess its because it is the "Dragon Edition"...whatever the heck that means.  :P

I took a break from Ultima shortly after Ultima V then ended up buying this one - its the one Ultima boxed set I have kept :)  I think it cost about $100 new.  It is a giant box and also contains such goodies as the cloth map and the complete collection of all Ultima games on CD.  Ultima 9 was not the best but it was still okay.  It was kinda buggy still and a few issues with the 3D graphics.  The graphics were pretty good for the time and it was nice to see animated creatures and the cities, etc.  The storyline was way too linear for me.  I would stray from the path and then set events into motion that shouldn't have happened yet, etc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm 

Mars wrote:It really depends on what "print" it is - these were released, and rereleased and rereleased some more.  It has also been put into various compilation packages.  Missing the registration card and letter from Lord British does hamper the value.  I don't think Apple versions are quite as popular/collectible as C64 versions either - the Apple version might have been release a bit after the C64 version.

Its probably worth about $15-$20 but you might push for $25.  Ultima III is really where the number of copies started to explode - it was even available for the Nintendo.

Thanks for the reply and advice!  When I first was looking at it I thought it was a RPG from the 80s.  Didn't mention anything on the box cover about computer game.  Opened it and saw what looked to be rulebooks/playing guides and a cloth map . . . thought it was some obscure boxed set!  I did find a record last night of an ebay sale of the Apple version that went for about $80, but it was complete.

Thanks again!