Collection of original work from TSR artist
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm 
 

I am in possession of a very large collection of original art work and original maps from a former TSR illustrator and cartographer. The collection includes hundreds and hundreds of hand drawn maps and illustrations from multiple TSR products from the late 1980s to about the early 2000s. Most all of the works in question are from the earlier end of that range. The works are absolutely beautiful and are all hand drawn and hand inked. Also included in the collection is the artists Tiffany glass TSR paper weight and some original one of a kind TSR weapon props he made for cover art mock ups. Lastly the are some massive sized TSR map banners use at Gencon that are 1 of 2 or 3 ever printed.

A big collection to consider!! I am looking to wrap my head around this as its clearly a unique collection. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

  


Active Collector

Posts: 38
Joined: May 10, 2011
Last Visit: Sep 18, 2013

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm 
 

jcp wrote:I am in possession of a very large collection of original art work and original maps from a former TSR illustrator and cartographer. The collection includes hundreds and hundreds of hand drawn maps and illustrations from multiple TSR products from the late 1980s to about the early 2000s. Most all of the works in question are from the earlier end of that range. The works are absolutely beautiful and are all hand drawn and hand inked. Also included in the collection is the artists Tiffany glass TSR paper weight and some original one of a kind TSR weapon props he made for cover art mock ups. Lastly the are some massive sized TSR map banners use at Gencon that are 1 of 2 or 3 ever printed.

A big collection to consider!! I am looking to wrap my head around this as its clearly a unique collection. Any help is greatly appreciated!!


I collect tsr art and am fairly familiar with historical prices...is that the type of help you are looking for or something else?

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:37 pm 
 

Yes for starters that would be very helpful!  I need to get a general sense of the scope of the value of a collection of original art work like this one. The work is all original and hand drawn and inked making the pieces themselves unique. In many cases there are multiple stages of the art work down to the original camera ready pieces. For starters I need to know how to value a collection like this and what people would be willing to pay for it via private auction.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 38
Joined: May 10, 2011
Last Visit: Sep 18, 2013

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:52 pm 
 

jcp wrote:Yes for starters that would be very helpful!  I need to get a general sense of the scope of the value of a collection of original art work like this one. The work is all original and hand drawn and inked making the pieces themselves unique. In many cases there are multiple stages of the art work down to the original camera ready pieces. For starters I need to know how to value a collection like this and what people would be willing to pay for it via private auction.


Ok...i sent you a pm / figured we'll have to go back and forth a few times since there are a lot of considerations/i have questions before i can offer an informed opinion....

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2459
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 07, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:16 pm 
 

There are a couple of us that collect artwork.. pics would be nice

Brette:)


Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:30 pm 
 

I will try and post some example pics!

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 06, 2021
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:20 pm 
 

jcp wrote:I will try and post some example pics!


prior to seeing the photos, I can say that the various color maps I've seen (and own) are actually photocopies with the color applied over them. The ones I'm talking about are from the mid-to-late 90's on up into the 2000's (later 2nd ed up until thru the Eberron stuff, for example, such as what Prufrock has). There are original b&w inks of these maps that the artist produced first, then possibly tweaked. Then they were photocopied and color was applied over the copy

I did have this independently verified with another of the TSR artists. So there are actually two "versions" of the color maps. One production b&w version, and then one photocopy with color applied over. They are very nice in detail as Prufrock can attest to  :D

Of course, there are also the standard b&w only inked ones which are awesome, in and of themselves.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 am 
 

Let's see if this works! :)

Any out of focus is me, not the image. These are quick pics in not ideal light. They look much nicer in person. These are a range of examples showing simple pieces and more elaborate full page full scale maps.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5653
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Sep 22, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 am 
 

Thanks for sharing the photos, Jason:  does the collection include just Kauth's works, or are there other artists' pieces included in it too?


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 am 
 

This collection includes only his work.

I can confirm the collection includes numerous vellum paper maps hand drawn and then copied to another page and subsequently hand inked. Examples of both abound. There are also one page drawn and painted pieces.

Also included are all the original art and mock ups in multiple formats and stages for the constructible cities and castles for various FR boxed sets.

I will post a photo of the entire collection.

Seriously considering a sale of the entire lot but am trying to gauge a reasonable starting price or offer.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2655
Joined: Sep 25, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 06, 2021
Location: Southwest

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:53 am 
 

jcp wrote:This collection includes only his work.

I can confirm the collection includes numerous vellum paper maps hand drawn and then copied to another page and subsequently hand inked. Examples of both abound. There are also one page drawn and painted pieces.

Also included are all the original art and mock ups in multiple formats and stages for the constructible cities and castles for various FR boxed sets.

I will post a photo of the entire collection.

Seriously considering a sale of the entire lot but am trying to gauge a reasonable starting price or offer.


Thanks for posting the photos. I see stuff from D&D 3.0, Planescape, and Birthright. Are these being sold on behalf of the artist?

  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:00 am 
 

I am working with the artist on these. I am now working on getting interested outside buyers and pricing info. Depending on the end value of the collection additional money will be donated to the artist above my costs. He was unable to sell this collection himself for a number of reasons.


Last edited by jcp on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: Dec 19, 2008
Last Visit: Dec 16, 2019

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:50 am 
 

I am excited to announce that the entire collection under discussion here has been sold.

I continue to work with the artist's family and will also be assisting the purchaser. Large parts of the collection will be made available for sale online soon.

More details will be posted.

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1