My collection
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 am 

So one of the main reasons I joined was I recently decided to sell my old dungeons and dragons stuff. Bills are coming in and the Christmas budget looks tight as it is without them.

I listed it on ebay BIN/OBO with the idea people would offer around what it is worth. What do you guys think?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 am 

You are asking $7.50 per item.  Given the condition of some of your items I'm thinking it will be hard to get the $500.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:37 pm 

$300 is pushing it, but then there have been a lot of people listing their collections at fantasy prices lately. It seems to be a case that people don't understand the difference between what something is worth, what the market says it is worth at that moment in time, and that they value it at in their own mind.

Also, timing is pretty awful. Everyone has earmakerd their disposable income towards ensuring they have a good Christmas for others, and no-one has a run of the mill starter D&D collection on their list of things to buy, so the buyer is likely to be one of the mass market resellers, and you'll never get top dollar from someone who has to make a living out of selling it on.

There would probably be a 20% difference between listing this collection now, and listing this collection the last week in January. Even so, the price is way too high.

There are threads here on how to maximise your income from a collection on eBay. In a nutshell they are as follows (but you'd get a lot from spending half an hour chasing them down and reading them):

1. Do your research.
2. Don't be greedy.
3. List items individually.
4. Be honest and post BIG photos (and many of them).
5. Time your auctions correctly to match your buyer.

Put in the work and you'll reep the reward. Take the easy option and post a bad listing and you'll get the type of response (or lack thereof) that that attracts. You'll only get out what you have the willingness to put into it.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm 

Thanks for the honest answers. I have the auction listed OBO for those reasons, mainly so a person can judge how much they want to pay. Hopefully things go well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 pm 

Look at it like this; Someone might want to buy your minis, but they don't want to pay $45 shipping and they don't want a stack of books they'll have to put time and effort into shifting, so they look at the collection and they say, "I'd pay $120 for the minis, but it's gonna take me 20 hours to shift the rest of the stuff and that'll cost me $200, so there's no way I'd pay more that $300 for it. Or they might want a few books and have no use for minis or the rest of the books.

As a seller, you have selected to sell to a business as  your target buyer. If that's the case, why not approach them direct and ask for an offer on your collection.

Or you are looking for a D&D player who happens to have the disposable income to buy your collection, but doesn't happen to already have a collection at all. There aren't that many of those out there.

If you want a large market for your product, you need to offer the items to a larger market. A Forgotten Realms boxed set could be sold to anyone who hasn't got that boxed set, but when you bundle that with 10 other items, you can only sell that boxed set to someone who hasn't got that boxed set and also is willing to buy 10 other items.

You get to 100+ items and you've removed 99% of your possible market.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 pm 

I see what you are selling. Considering I already have the auction posted, and it has only been a day, I'll wait and see how things go. With a bit of luck it might be good. If nothing happens at the end of the time period, then I'll ponder some other options.

What businesses do you think might be interested? The only one I really know that deals in Dungeons and Dragons books is Troll and Toad.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:24 pm 

In the US, I'd consider a PM to Badmike here on Acaeum. He may be interested, or he may be overstocked as it is. He'd give you an honest evaluation. I'd also go an eBay search for D&D and find the established resellers on eBay (a steady flow of listings and a long history of D&D sales on their feedback) and then I'd ping them an enquiry. But you're looking at quick sales and rock bottom prices, and you'd likely get just as much by starting a listing at $0.99 and chancing your luck.

I'm sure if someone were willing to make you a private offer you'd receive a private message through the forum.

In all honesty, if you don't want to break up the collection and list individually, you'll lose any real value there is in the collection anyways. I'd deffinately seperate the minis and list the boxes seperately. That'd be a no brainer. Mini buyers and general players buy multiples of minis, but they most deffinately don't need multiples of hundreds of books.

Maybe someone here can pick out specific items of value for you that warrant single listings. Personally, I've never collected the run of the mill D&D, so to me these are all sub-$5 items. My specific experience is in the non-TSR published stuff I'm affraid. There are no big ticket items there though.

If you must list all the books in a job lot, do collected spread shots like this...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

or

People scan pictures fast with their eyes, and they have more visual patience reading and searching images than they do reading list of books. Keep the book list, just so there's no mistakes, but the images sell create the buyers.

Good luck. :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm 

Generally, Ian is right on this.  Big lots only bring big money if:

1. There is at least one legitimately rare item that drives up the price
2. The lot is so huge that anyone could make money reselling it
3. Both of the above

But even in those cases, the lots don't recoup as much as they should, because they will almost always be bought by dealers.  There was one a few months ago that I recall we were all watching.  It had a ton of material, including several big items, and might have had a fair retail price of $8-9k.  It sold for, I think, less than $3k.

An individual collector probably won't have the interest in getting one or two items and reselling dozens, but a dealer can't pay a lot and still make a profit.

If you want to maximize your profit, you have to invest time and effort in individual (or at least small groups) listings.  If you want to minimize your effort, then just contact a few dealers and see what they'd give you for the whole thing.  A couple you might try are Noble Knight Games and Wayne's Books.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am 

They're right...

At the most simple way to make money, just split up the mini's and the books/modules into two different groups.

And reduce your prices on both by just a little...  :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 pm 

The advice here is very good. I'd only add that I pay about $5 an item on average for above average condition items when I buy a collection like this, especially if collections don't have at least 2-3 special items. You are far better off cherry picking the nicer items (such as the supplements) and selling them separately, and putting the more common items in one big lot.  Also, condition is paramount for many buyers so more pictures (with close ups) would help you immensely.  And remember shipping costs that will knock a lot of buyers out, especially international buyers, which are some of my best customers.  Good Luck!  If you don't get any bites go to some of the forums like here or at Dragonsfoot to see if you can sell directly and not through ebay (save more money in fees that way!).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:27 pm 

Sounds good, thanks for the information, I figure what I will do is wait a while on ebay, and just see what happens, then go from there. I might end up breaking it down, in the least separating the miniatures and the other materials sometime later.