My Brother's Collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:19 pm 

Plaag wrote:On the miniatures side of things, would it be best to store them in a finished basement or main level of the house?  I'm keeping them as they are (i.e. some painted, others unpainted, etc).

Either place is fine as both are temperature controlled.  However, the more humid the air, the more likely they'll experience lead rot.  Storing them in a padded box with silica gel packs would be good.  I stored mine in a tackle box for decades.  Painted minis almost never have lead rot, but don't forget to make sure the bottoms are painted too.

The other way to pretty much eliminate the possibility of lead rot for unpainted minis is to wash them good in a mild soap solution, scrub them lightly with an old toothbrush, dry them out good, and then prime them.  Spray primers are pretty fast and cheap.  They have to be primed anyway for painting.  However, if you want to sell them, it's better to not prime them.

I hope this helps. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:  I think the prevailing wisdom with Dungeon is to sell the ones under issue 6 individually, as they are much rarer, and bundle the others. So definitely put #1 by itself, and then group the others into small lots?

That's what I'd do.  Something like eight different auctions:
9, 12, 15, 16,
20, 21, 26, 27
28-32
33-37
38-43,
45-47, 51, 52,
56, 58, 60, 114

:)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Either place is fine as both are temperature controlled.  However, the more humid the air, the more likely they'll experience lead rot.  Storing them in a padded box with silica gel packs would be good.  I stored mine in a tackle box for decades.  Painted minis almost never have lead rot, but don't forget to make sure the bottoms are painted too.

The other way to pretty much eliminate the possibility of lead rot for unpainted minis is to wash them good in a mild soap solution, scrub them lightly with an old toothbrush, dry them out good, and then prime them.  Spray primers are pretty fast and cheap.  They have to be primed anyway for painting.  However, if you want to sell them, it's better to not prime them.

I hope this helps. 8)

Good to know, half of them are in a tackle box with padding, the others are in a Dark Sun miniature box with padding.  And there isn't much humidity here.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Previous