My Brother's Collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:59 am 

I will be dumping the novels that I have either on Ebay or seeing what Noble Knight will offer by Wednesday as I have use of a camera and have been organizing more.  So from now till then anyone can make offers - shipping will be priority mail so keep that in mind.
I also have Snow Crash, Thieves World books, Wheel of Time books and some more Forgotten Realms books that I will have to list when I have time.
I also have comics and magazines I'll see which route to take with:
Dungeon Magazines (1, 9, 12, 15, 16, 20, 21, 26-43, 45-47, 51, 52, 56, 58, 60)
Soldiers & Swords        Realms
Timescape Newsletter (Winter)
Timescape Newsletter (Spring)
Worlds Ahead (Feb/Mar)
Xignals
Games Workshop        The First Citadel Compendium-US Version
Dark Horse        Comic        Age of Conan
Dark Horse        Comic        Conan Wild Cimmerian Bull
Dark Horse        Comic        Conan Rat's Den
Seven Lights, LLC        Comic        The Continuum
Seven Lights, LLC        Comic        The Continuum
DC Comics        Comic        Warlords
Camarilla        Magazine        Requiem (Winter)
Science Fiction Chronicle (Vol. 4, Aug)
Sylvain PILET        Lotus Noir
Harbringer       
Harbringer       
Quick Quincy Gazette (April)        1979
Quick Quincy Gazette (April)        1980
603 Amazing Stories (Sept 2004)
Undefeated (Aug/Sept)
Games Quarterly        2004
Games Quarterly        2004
Games Unplugged (Oct/Nov)        2000
Gateways (March)        1988
ICv2 Guide       
Locus (Vol. 16, No. 8) August        1983
Locus (Vol. 16, No. 11) November        1983

Plus whatever else I can find.

Early Spring cleaning, course now it feels more like winter.

((Edit to state Dungeon magazine numbers))

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Last edited by Plaag on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 pm 

My condolences on your loss as well, Shane.

Doug summed up use of lead in miniatures pretty well. While there are no regulations against it, so to speak, I know of several manufacturers that steer clear simply over "implied" liability and the costs of cleanup.

I inquired of my casting company if they had considered moving back to lead from "lead-free" models and they gave me an emphatic "no way."

Apparently, there are substantial EPA regs regarding cleanup of any facility engaging in lead-based production that would ultimately be cost prohibitive.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm 

On the miniatures side of things, would it be best to store them in a finished basement or main level of the house?  I'm keeping them as they are (i.e. some painted, others unpainted, etc).

As for the remaining single novels:
Would they go better as a group or broken up in smaller bundles?

And the Dungeon Magazines: 1, 9, 12, 15, 16, 20, 21, 26-43, 45-47, 51, 52, 56, 58, 60, 114 how should they be grouped? (Course I have to check these sometime one against my own collection but also for completeness)

Thanks,
ShaneG.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:10 am 

Condolences.

Although your brother had good taste in reading :), I don't think any of those are particularly valuable, nor do they together make a cohesive lot. You might try to sell the few that are in nice shape (Snow Crash) individually, but I don't think you'll get much for them. The Wyndham hardcover is a book club edition, I think, but an older one in decent condition, and might go for $10 - $15 at auction on a good day.

I think the prevailing wisdom with Dungeon is to sell the ones under issue 6 individually, as they are much rarer, and bundle the others. So definitely put #1 by itself, and then group the others into small lots?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:19 pm 

Plaag wrote:On the miniatures side of things, would it be best to store them in a finished basement or main level of the house?  I'm keeping them as they are (i.e. some painted, others unpainted, etc).

Either place is fine as both are temperature controlled.  However, the more humid the air, the more likely they'll experience lead rot.  Storing them in a padded box with silica gel packs would be good.  I stored mine in a tackle box for decades.  Painted minis almost never have lead rot, but don't forget to make sure the bottoms are painted too.

The other way to pretty much eliminate the possibility of lead rot for unpainted minis is to wash them good in a mild soap solution, scrub them lightly with an old toothbrush, dry them out good, and then prime them.  Spray primers are pretty fast and cheap.  They have to be primed anyway for painting.  However, if you want to sell them, it's better to not prime them.

I hope this helps. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:  I think the prevailing wisdom with Dungeon is to sell the ones under issue 6 individually, as they are much rarer, and bundle the others. So definitely put #1 by itself, and then group the others into small lots?

That's what I'd do.  Something like eight different auctions:
9, 12, 15, 16,
20, 21, 26, 27
28-32
33-37
38-43,
45-47, 51, 52,
56, 58, 60, 114

:)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
Either place is fine as both are temperature controlled.  However, the more humid the air, the more likely they'll experience lead rot.  Storing them in a padded box with silica gel packs would be good.  I stored mine in a tackle box for decades.  Painted minis almost never have lead rot, but don't forget to make sure the bottoms are painted too.

The other way to pretty much eliminate the possibility of lead rot for unpainted minis is to wash them good in a mild soap solution, scrub them lightly with an old toothbrush, dry them out good, and then prime them.  Spray primers are pretty fast and cheap.  They have to be primed anyway for painting.  However, if you want to sell them, it's better to not prime them.

I hope this helps. 8)

Good to know, half of them are in a tackle box with padding, the others are in a Dark Sun miniature box with padding.  And there isn't much humidity here.

ShaneG.

Previous