Selling some rare stuff from my personal collection
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 pm 

Hi there!

I'm Scott Douglas, former RPGA Network Coordinator 1995--1997 (after Jean Rabe and before Robert Weise)

I've been clearing out my storage and I came across some unusual and unique items. Anyone care to discuss this old stuff?

1) the Tiffany crystal TSR paperweight (I see the one from Dennis Kauth didn't sell on eBay at $475 minimum bid in August)
2) a copy of the TSR stylebook (Black three-ring binder printed "TSR Hobbies Inc. Style Book" with unusual logo in a yellow ink; the trademark is next to the man-in-the-moon logo) inside is a three hole punched printed copy of the stylebook, including several internal memos from TSR legal and a complete list of TSR products as of 1995 compiled by John Rateliff, also included is a partial set of galleys from a Poly) Binder has a crack at one bound crease but otherwise in good condition
3) Two AD&D three-ring binders containing a complete clip file of Raven's Bluff: the Living City, including the full color map (Robert and I developed this as preliminary to LC5, a bandit product we wrote the summer of 1996 which was shrink-wrapped and sold to members at GenCon that year)
4) a nearly complete set of Polyhedron magazine (stored in three ring binders, mostly in mint condition); only missing four issues (#125 which I'm not sure got out of galleys, #127, #131, #132)
5) a signed manuscript of Ed Greenwood's first "Elminister's Everwinking Eye" column which ran in Polyhedron issues 54-57; includes the 4 issues (also signed by Ed on the pages where the Eye appears.) This item would also include a typeset photocopy of a 157-page internal document written by Ed for TSR in 1991 entitled "An Introduction to the Forgotten Realms"
6) the bronze RPGA belt buckle

I also have a stack of unusual knick-nacks like RPGA pins, patches, fanny pack, coffee cup, notepad cover, embroidered jacket, some TSR baseball caps, a Living City Sweatshirt, the prototype Planescape sweatshirt in XL (as far as I know, only three in existence); except for the last, these are in near-mint condition, the last is a bit worn but the embroidery is perfect and still brightly colored

In addition, I have my own personal Gygax-autographed AD&D Player's Book (seventh printing)

I have bales of lesser items, many of which I've been selling at DexCon the last few years. Sorry, other than LC, no RPGA modules (I sold them mint in shrink last summer).

Any idea what the first few items would be worth?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm 

for the Tiffany crystal paperweight, I've seen them sell on Ebay in the $200-$370 range (the higher amount included the original box it came in). Jeff Easley sold one a couple years ago that for some reason was on the lower end of the sales prices that I've come across. He may have had his with the box too, but I don't remember right off-hand.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 pm 

I saw Michele Vukovich sold hers through a private deal here for $700 of so, but that was a few years ago when people thought they had money. They're not as rare as ExTSR might think; they were given out at a big tent dinner Lorraine had for all of us the day she announced TSR was offering us a 401K and matching contributions 100%. At the time, the phone extension list was over 120 and I know we had more folks in warehouse and assembly with no phones. Everybody who sat down to that lunch got one. (I'd guess 150 total.)

It was a great day, but most of us were out the door within the year.

I personally posed as Santa Claus with many employees the day before the big Christmas layoff. That's something I'd like; a picture of myself as Santa Claus posing with employees and pets for charity. It was a happy day (and a lousy night).

I know I've seen the box, but it's still in LG.

Last edited by Scott Douglas on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:27 pm 

I also noticed I have an unnumbered preview Alternity players' book. I thought all of these were numbered and signed by Rich and Bill...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 am 

PM Sent.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:54 pm 

I'm sorry this week has kept me so busy. To those who have kindly messaged me, sorry for my delay. I expect to return these messages in the next 24 hours.

Thanks one and all for your interest.