Buried somewhere in the bottom of a garage
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm 

Found the site yesterday and got motivated to start sorting through the 5-6 large boxes stashed in the garage.

I started playing D&D back in about 1979 at 14-15 years old, and started attending GenCon a year or so later during the Parkside years. Great memories of camping out at this crappy little campground a couple miles walk from the Con before having my drivers license!

Preview - from memory:

The Regular Stuff
White Box (probably OCE) and all the original supplements.
PhB, MM, DMG - beat up early printings (bought as soon as local shop had them).
Dragon Mag - Issues 11+
Dungeon Mag - First dozen or so issues
Complete set of Gazeteers
The first 10 years or so of published modules.
Lots of Judges Guild adventures (but no orignal City State).
Divine Right - well played. We loved this game.
Early Harn stuff
Role Aids - etc.
Too much to list all - 100+ lbs.

Premium and semi-unique items - Appreciate any ballpark value estimates!

Gygax auotgraphed Dieties and Demigods (with Cthulhu).

A numbered copy of Tomoachan. Picked it up at Dungeon Hobby in Lake Geneva on the way home from GenCon one year. If Acaeum wants to log it as "found", I'll dig it out and get the number.

Dragonlance Poster - Autographed following the original Dragonlance reading at Parkside by all the performers. These might be some of the very first DL autographs. I'll see if I can make out all who signed it. No one knew who any of these folks were at the time . Anyone else attend that dramatic reading? It was pretty memorable. Janet Pack's first performance as Taselhoff. I had an instant crush!

My personal copy of Treasures of Greyhawk, along with the original (dot matrix printed I think?) pre-submission version of the Helm of Selnor adventure, which I authored for ToG. Willing to autograph - which would be the only one in existence, and probably degrade the value still further!

Time to start digging. If folks are curious about any of these items, I will update as I sort. Sorry in advance if it takes me some time between updates - my wife has different ideas about how I should be spending our limited free time!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 pm 

Haunted wrote:Found the site yesterday and got motivated to start sorting through the 5-6 large boxes stashed in the garage.

I started playing D&D back in about 1979 at 14-15 years old, and started attending GenCon a year or so later during the Parkside years. Great memories of camping out at this crappy little campground a couple miles walk from the Con before having my drivers license!

Preview - from memory:

The Regular Stuff
White Box (probably OCE) and all the original supplements.
PhB, MM, DMG - beat up early printings (bought as soon as local shop had them).
Dragon Mag - Issues 11+
Dungeon Mag - First dozen or so issues
Complete set of Gazeteers
The first 10 years or so of published modules.
Lots of Judges Guild adventures (but no orignal City State).
Divine Right - well played. We loved this game.
Early Harn stuff
Role Aids - etc.
Too much to list all - 100+ lbs.

Premium and semi-unique items - Appreciate any ballpark value estimates!

Gygax auotgraphed Dieties and Demigods (with Cthulhu).

A numbered copy of Tomoachan. Picked it up at Dungeon Hobby in Lake Geneva on the way home from GenCon one year. If Acaeum wants to log it as "found", I'll dig it out and get the number.

Dragonlance Poster - Autographed following the original Dragonlance reading at Parkside by all the performers. These might be some of the very first DL autographs. I'll see if I can make out all who signed it. No one knew who any of these folks were at the time . Anyone else attend that dramatic reading? It was pretty memorable. Janet Pack's first performance as Taselhoff. I had an instant crush!

My personal copy of Treasures of Greyhawk, along with the original (dot matrix printed I think?) pre-submission version of the Helm of Selnor adventure, which I authored for ToG. Willing to autograph - which would be the only one in existence, and probably degrade the value still further!

Time to start digging. If folks are curious about any of these items, I will update as I sort. Sorry in advance if it takes me some time between updates - my wife has different ideas about how I should be spending our limited free time!

I'd definitely start digging, carefully though. Sounds like the most valuable item would be the Tomoachan, if it is a tournment version.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:36 pm 

Dig through carefully and make a list. Post the list bit by bit and you'll get honest reactions from the members here, along with flagging up the items of reletive value.

The MS from ToG is something that would probably find a home among the collectors here if you were minded to sigh and sell it. If it were going on eBay, I'd sell it along with a copy of ToG and a letter of authenticity.

Tamochan in a big buck item, but for the majority of members here, it'll be the uncommon and unusual items you may have collected over the years that will be of particular interest.

In with you "first ten years of adventures", if you have ST1 Up The Garden Path, you have another big buck item. You've found the right forum to get a picture of market values from, so Welcome, and thank for dropping by.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm 

Welcome!  As you can probably tell from other posts, condition of items is very important.

And related to that, if we can see pictures of items to verify/qualify their condition, we like that.  Pictures are good and fun!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 pm 

My wife would kill me if I took the time to completely catalog and grade all this (and my grading skills are non-existant in any case). However, a think a few pictures of the items that might be the most critical for estimating value (once unpacked) can be managed if I send her out shopping!

My folks are in town to visit the their grandkids for the next week or, but after that I will arrange a suitable distraction and start to get some photos on the more interesting items. Which items are folks interesting in seeing?

I will see if I can start to tackle the first box over Labor Day.

Thanks everyone here for the encouragement. I need the motivation to start the slog through this pile!

BTW - has anyone ever seen a video of that original Dragonlance reading? I seem to remember a cam-corder set up in the back of the room...

Right then - less nostalgia and more slogging!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:25 pm 

If time is an issue, I'd dig out Tamochan if you're looking at cashing in and not attached to it, and sit on the rest of the stuff until you have the time to do it justice.

The difference between taking the time to deal with it yourself, and selling it through one of these places where you drop off a box of stuff and they sell it for you, is many many times. Better to sit on the stuff until you have the time, than to ship it out as a job lot.

It'd be interesting to find out what you manage to uncover theugh.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 pm 

How can she be upset when you're getting rid of a bunch of old junk and turning it into GOLD at the same time?  Just explain to her, calmly, that in order to get the money you have to be able to accurately describe the items to a potential buyer.

If that doesn't work then tell her to shut up.

And do try not to piss her off by gloating.  (You may not mean to gloat, but she will take any joy in your voice as gloating.  Women speak a different language.  Yes they do.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm 

DMF wrote:How can she be upset ...

Women can get upset about ANYTHING  :!:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It'd be interesting to find out what you manage to uncover though.

Interesting?! I'm salivating over here!!!

:D

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:38 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Women can get upset about ANYTHING  :!:

"If he really loved me he'd have thrown that old crappy GOLD out." :cry:

Last edited by DMF on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 pm 

Haunted wrote:Which items are folks interesting in seeing?

I (and probably a couple others) am very interested in knowing what "Early Harn stuff" you have, but I couldn't objectively tell you to prioritize it - that's just not top dollar items.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 pm 

Haunted wrote:My wife would kill me if I took the time to completely catalog and grade all this (and my grading skills are non-existant in any case). However, a think a few pictures of the items that might be the most critical for estimating value (once unpacked) can be managed if I send her out shopping!

My folks are in town to visit the their grandkids for the next week or, but after that I will arrange a suitable distraction and start to get some photos on the more interesting items. Which items are folks interesting in seeing?

I will see if I can start to tackle the first box over Labor Day.

Thanks everyone here for the encouragement. I need the motivation to start the slog through this pile!

BTW - has anyone ever seen a video of that original Dragonlance reading? I seem to remember a cam-corder set up in the back of the room...

Right then - less nostalgia and more slogging!

Unless you are ungodly wealthy then sit your wife down and explain that what you have can be converted to cash, but because they are paper products leaving them in a garage is a good way of converting them to garbage.

A Toamachan tournement is a very expensive item, but it is also just a bunch of paper. It may be musty, mildewed and eaten by bugs, in which case the value would be very low. I have seen plenty of excellent collections completely destroyed by mishandling, and hearing about this one in a garage is a very bad sign.

If you don't need either the money or want the collection, then it doesn't matter. If you want either money for these or a nice collection of RPG items then getting these out of the garage, sorted and either stored correctly or sold if you don't want to store, is best done immediately.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:30 am 

Tell her you'll spend half the profits on her.   :)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:30 am 

The boxes are all rubbermaid storage containers. It looks on first inspection that neither moisture, mold nor pests have breached them  :)

Checked Lost Tomoachan real quick - it is #154. I think it might be in the orginal zip-lock bag (which is undersized enough that removing the contents made me nervous of catching / creasing an edge). The condition makes me smiley.

Sorry to be a tease, but packing up the kids and my parents into the camper this morning and return around Wednesday. Will try to start getting a few photos up over Labor Day weekend.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 pm 

Obviously bugs, moisture, and mold are issues and storage bins are a big help.  But the unavoidable problem with unconditioned spaces is the temperature extremes.  Heat greatly accelerates the action of acids in the paper.  Cold causes the condensation of moisture that is present even in "dry" air resulting in staple rust and in some cases paper distortion.

Over 30+ years this can really add up.  Good luck.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm 

I scanned Tomoachan (jpg) on my cheap HP printer / scanner, but dont see a way to directly attach or upload it (yep - a forum newb).

Anyone willing to attach it to the thread if I send it by email?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 am 

Haunted wrote:I scanned Tomoachan (jpg) on my cheap HP printer / scanner, but dont see a way to directly attach or upload it (yep - a forum newb).

Anyone willing to attach it to the thread if I send it by email?

I had the same problem the first time I wanted to post a pic.  You have to use another site and link to it from here, like Flickr or something like that.  When you create a folder or album on those sites, they usually provide you with a shortened address to use as a link for others to see the photos.  Then I just copied that address and pasted it in my Acaeum thread.  Others might have better ideas or more clear instructions!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:34 am 

Your service provider may allow storage space. Check with that before signing into a service. Whatever the case, once uploaded, paste the html link between  tags.

Next