Some small press oddities & Canadian fanzines
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 pm 

I took these pics at our most recent gaming session of the following items that my friend has in his collection. I can't say I'm familiar with any of them except that Furioso sounds familiar, as does Midkemia Press.

The Heart of Evil was published here in Seattle by the Brass Dragon Society, who apparently started the Dragonflight convention.

So, if anyone can shed any light on any of these items (background or value), it would be much appreciated! Apologies for the weak smartphone photo skills ;)

The Heart of Evil

Mystic Runes

Furioso

Towns of the Outlands

First Encounter #5

First Encounter #6

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 pm 

The last 4 are uncommon, Furioso is published by Dimension Six, Towns of the Outlands by Medkemia Press and the 2 first encounter mags..

The other 2? Another bloody magazine to add to the list.. and a small press thing prob no one knows about.. another one to add to the list..

;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 am 

I guess that the 2 first ones could sell well. I know several persons that will be very interested (me included :)). The best way is to go on ebay for these ones, if you want to part with.
Furioso sells for $30-40 and Towns of the Outlands is more common, so 20-25$ currently.
There is some First Encounter mags regularly on ebay, but some could be more uncommon. I don't know which issues.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:44 am 

IMO Heart of Evil is surprisingly rare. I've known about it for many years, but it's the first copy I've seen. I'd be interested to know how many people have a copy in their collections. If you're selling, it'll be the big earner.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm 

I hadn't heard of the either Heart of Evil or Mystic Runes before, and they definitely look fun :D  

If you can provide some more info/scans/details about the first two books either here, or at Tome of Treasures, that would be very useful.  The Tome template is:  

[cover scan]
[interior scans]
Title:
Item Code/Product Number:
Type: [rulebook/sourcebook/adventure etc.]
Copyright and Holder:
Author(s):
Artwork:  [full color, B&W line art, etc.]
Place of Publication:  [city, state, country]
Printer: [if listed]
Format: [X page softcover, perfectbound or X page hardcover or x page softcover, spiralbound, etc.]
ISBN: [if applicable]
Cover Price: [if listed/known]
Mass: [in grams, although I'm sure pounds and ounces would be OK too]
Dimensions: length x width x thickness [in cm, although I'm sure inches would be OK too]

Some details about the contents are always appreciated too:  "The Heart of Evil is an adventure module featuring a wilderness and two dungeon levels, set in the World of Greyhawk, and is for character levels 12-16."  Or whatever :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm 

grodog wrote:"The Heart of Evil is an adventure module ... set in the World of Greyhawk, and is for character levels 12-16."

Are you trying to say that you expect a GH adventure? What a surprise ;)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm 

Thanks all for the input so far. If my friend decides to sell, you guys will be the first to know.

And even if he doesn't sell, I'm sure I will be able to round up all the pertinent info and better quality pics for posterity's sake.

Cheers,

Tom

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm 

I won the auction for the Mystic Runes and The Heart of Evil modules listed in the first post.  Thought I would post some info for both modules.  If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.  My scanner is on the fritz so no pics.  Sorry.

Mystic Runes:

Mystic Runes was a reocurring publication of the Brass Dragon Society.  Looks as if one module was published in each publication with no other material.  The Mystic Runes I have is the Summer 1982 issue which has the adventure "The Revenge of the Pleasantcorners by David Butler."    The following is printed on the first inside page:  "The Mystic Runes is published by the Brass Dragon Society, a nonprofit corporation, whose members may reprint, rework, and/or arrange for the reprinting of any material tey have authored and had copyrighted through the Mystic Runes.  This is the summer issue of Mystic Runes."  So my first assumption would be that there may be more than one issue of Mystic Runes out there.

The adventure is printed in dot matrix (really bad dot matrix).  It has a two page hand drawn map that has become detached in my issue.  DM instructions focus on penalties for "talking while unconcious, kibitzing when dead, numerical discusion of attributes or hit points, ect."  Penalties include character death but only after you "discuss with master DM first."  This is meant to be a tournament adventure.  I have not read thru the entire module yet.  Mystic Runes Summer 1982 is 18 numbered pages long and is saddle-stiched.

The Heart of Evil by Ted Shropshire:

This adventure consists of eight 8.5 X11 (text on one side only) pages stapled on the left side.  They used a special fortified paper for this module.  There is no hint of a rip or tear on this module that has seen a fair amount of wear.  The front and back cover seem to be stronger paper with the feel of perhaps a small amount of cloth in the paper.  There is a definate texture that can be felt on the cover pages that cannot be felt on the interior pages.  The test and layout of this module suggests that it was produced on an 1980's word processer.  The module seems to be meant as a tournament module as it includes instructions for scoring and time.  There is no map and no hint that there ever was one.  Also no copyright date.

Martin