Original Bottle City
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm 

What is a copy of the Original Bottle City made by Pied Piper Publications worth?

I just found a copy and jumped on it because I know they are rare but don't know if it was really worth what I paid for it.

What is the difference in the regular version and the Limited Edition?

Thanks!!

Carpe DM!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:16 pm 

cdenham wrote:What is a copy of the Original Bottle City made by Pied Piper Publications worth?

Twenty or thirty bucks for the regular edition?  Maybe.  Been awhile since I've seen one on Ebay.  Badmike just sold an author's copy for $75.  Not sure if there is anything that sets it apart from the regular edition other than the green dragon stamp and gold ink signature on the inside.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

IIRC the limited edition has a larger fold out map.  And perhaps design notes.  Perhaps someone that bought one can verify for sure.  Original retail was $150?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:44 pm 

Three or four different versions of the single first print run IIRC.
The Limited Edition was limited to a 40 copies or so? Came with a single one piece map, 12 photocopies of the untranscribed notes, and the book, signed and numbered on the back in gold pen? (Someone please confirm).
The regular numbered edition sould online and through NKG, numbered 'X of 500' and signed, the map printed on two A3 sheets instead of a single A2. And finally a handful of Author's Copies, as per the 500 print run but signed 'Author's Copy' or 'Comp Copy' in Red? maybe 20 copies.

The original transcribed notes (from the LE 12 page photocopy) are still available for download from PPP's website, and was this the one with the addition content you could download also? Warlock's Walk?

Don't see them very often. Good fun to read. Maybe the hardest of the PPP modules to get ahold of now.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:53 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The original transcribed notes (from the LE 12 page photocopy) are still available for download from PPP's website, and was this the one with the addition content you could download also? Warlock's Walk?

The PPP site is down, and Rob has no intention of relaunching it.  If someone has a BC but no trasnscription file, you can email me for the file (the password to open the file is in the module).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 am 

E-mail Sent.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote: And finally a handful of Author's Copies, as per the 500 print run but signed 'Author's Copy' or 'Comp Copy' in Red? maybe 20 copies.

I had an authors copy, which was one of I believe a dozen, these were the Limited Edition variant with the 1 piece large map.  Not sure if there were other "Author's Copies" of the regular edition as well.  Sold mine last year for around $60  :cry:   a hefty loss on the original price: $150

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:E-mail Sent.

Thanks Ian, but I have the original file, and was also offering to send it to anyone who needs it =)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 am 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:
I had an authors copy, which was one of I believe a dozen, these were the Limited Edition variant with the 1 piece large map.  Not sure if there were other "Author's Copies" of the regular edition as well.  Sold mine last year for around $60  :cry:   a hefty loss on the original price: $150

The Author's copies of the regular edition are just regular edition BC copies with sig inside the cover, this is the one I sold. I don't think $50 or more is out of the question for even a regular copy. It's an amazing module, and it may never be reprinted.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:35 am 

Badmike wrote:It's an amazing module, and it may never be reprinted.

Funny you should mention that, Mike....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 am 

grodog wrote:Funny you should mention that, Mike....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

jonjhargreaves wrote:I had an authors copy, which was one of I believe a dozen, these were the Limited Edition variant with the 1 piece large map.  Not sure if there were other "Author's Copies" of the regular edition as well.  Sold mine last year for around $60  :cry:   a hefty loss on the original price: $150

Badmike wrote:The Author's copies of the regular edition are just regular edition BC copies with sig inside the cover.

Well, that's three different variations of the Authors copies I know of. I suspect this is generally what happens with 'overrun' which is usually mailed out bt printers either to completely fill boxes to prevent movement damage in a final partially filled box, or by way of anticipating the % of misprints in a batch. So you order 500 of one and 70 of another, and you end up with 532 and 73 or some such. The rest sit in a box and get dished out and signed and each little batch goes out slightly differently.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Well, that's three different variations of the Authors copies I know of. I suspect this is generally what happens with 'overrun' which is usually mailed out bt printers either to completely fill boxes to prevent movement damage in a final partially filled box, or by way of anticipating the % of misprints in a batch. So you order 500 of one and 70 of another, and you end up with 532 and 73 or some such. The rest sit in a box and get dished out and signed and each little batch goes out slightly differently.

Pretty much the case here. I think this was some copy Rob had left over, I bought it from him at NTRPG con this year, then found I had another three copies of the regular version (one personalized from Rob) so I let this one go.  It had "Author's Copy #5" written in ink on the back cover, and a green dragon stamp and sig in gold pen ink inside the cover, with the pen ink being smeared.  I know Doug and I have ended up with odd overruns on certain of the NTRPG con modules here and there and this looked like such an item to me.

Funny you should mention that, Mike....

Interesting.....:wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 am 

The Limted Edition Copies of The Original Bottle City by PPP were all signed on the back cover in the white box, with:
Rob's signature,
And under that
RJK-1 # xx     all hand drawn in Green Ink with the /500 printed in black inside the white box.
The Single large sized Map is signed on the back in the same manner.
The Limited Edition Copies included the items listed above for the Limited Edition.

I had two of these and sold one a year or so back.
Still have #11...

All of the rest that I have seen are regular editions signed in Black Ink with a two piece map set and no other items.

There may be special Modules that are signed differently by Rob, but I think ALL of them have the White Box and the /500 printed in Black inside that box.

I did not see the copy Mike is refering to at the convention.
If I had seen it before him, I would have purchased it too.

I do have an Item that is Stamped with the Green Dragon and signed by Rob in Golden Ink.
It is also numbered (in red ink) 6/15.
That being Rob's story "Black Festival".

I have another copy of that book as well that is numbered 44 and is signed in black felt ink with no Dragon stamp.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:27 am 

I would imagine the covers were all printed in one print run and therefor were all set up for the X of 500 print run. I also know of no copies of BC that don't carry a signiature. As regards seperate variations of printings/signiature designations, so far we have....

a. The Official Limited Editions with single piece map and xeroxed notes, as per Gnat's description above.
b. The 'Author's Copy of the LE' as per Jon's description.

c. The Standard Numbered Edition retail release with the two pieve map, signed and numbered (500 copies?)
d. The Author's Copy of the SE' as per Mike's description.
e. The 'Author's Comp' Copy of the SE which is signed and designated as such in red in the white box.

I believe I still have an SE numbered copy that I got from NKG and maybe an Author's Comp Copy of anyone is looking for one. I haven't decided which one is gonna stay in my collection yet, so I'm open to offers on either.