Trash or Treasure?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

I used to DM for TSR at their UK GamesFair and each year I was given a commemorative glass etched with a dragon logo (like the RPGA pin) and 'GamesFair XX'
The glasses are pretty plain, heavy bottomed.
I have 8 (1982 to 1989) the 1989 version is a bit larger (they changed suppliers I guess?)

I've searched the forum archives to no avail - is glassware too far off topic to be included here?

Anyhow, any advice about whether these are worth shipping to a collector or just shipping to the trash heap most welcome.

Apologies if I don't reply promptly - I'm off to visit the Somme (and maybe drink some Belgium beer). I'm back next week.

I can't figure out how to add images ..... so if you're interested look here http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0094009/photos/flymypretties/

Thanks!
Mark

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Plato

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 pm 

I'd be surprised if someone here didn't want them.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:20 pm 

I'll bet you could probably find someone in the UK who would be interested in them and probably also a few people would be happy to pay shipping worldwide for them too.

TSR and GenCon both made mugs.  They don't seem to sell for tons of money - in the $10-$20 range.  I would guess $100 + shipping for the set would be obtainable/reasonable.

Of more interest and probably more value would be the adventures that you DM'd.  What happened to those?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:30 am 

Put them up on eBay.
I'm in the UK and I'd certainly be interested in bidding on them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 am 

I'd follow Ian's suggestion... and i wouldnt be surprised if every glass is sold for approx 50 bucks (assuming you sell them separately)... these are little gems for the hard-TSR collectors (prb they will make a link with the UK RPGA: i remember that logo on the newletters, is that coorrect?)

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 pm 

Mars wrote: Of more interest and probably more value would be the adventures that you DM'd.  What happened to those?

Hi Mark

We worked from A4 printouts of the modules and scribbled all over them - I may have some in the attic but they're in terrible condition. Usually the next year we got a free copy of the published module.  Shrink wrap ripped for sure as we always checked to see how it had changed & if any of our amendments had been used. But otherwise indistinguishable from all the rest.

Of more value to me is my 'nitpicker of the year' award signed by Jim Bambra, Graeme Morris, and Phil Gallagher for proofreading above & way way beyond the call of duty.

Mark

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Plato

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:58 pm 

Hey Mark,

These:
We worked from A4 printouts of the modules and scribbled all over them - I may have some in the attic but they're in terrible condition.

are exactly what would be of interest.  If you dig them out of the attic, please let us know.

Mark

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Put them up on eBay.
I'm in the UK and I'd certainly be interested in bidding on them.

Indeed (i.e. me too!)  :D   Old TSR Mugs can go for £10-20 (or more) and I see no reason why etched glasses could not go for close to that.

Enjoy Belgium - they do amazing beer!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:32 pm 

red_bus wrote:Indeed (i.e. me too!)  :D  
Enjoy Belgium - they do amazing beer!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, its good that these glasses have a chance of finding a home with someone who will value them.

I pondered giving them all away (and the '89 glass is promised) but lawrenson made an excellent suggestion - I will donate the '82 to '88 glasses to the Dragonmeet 2011 charity auction - with apologies to the non-UK interested parties (although perhaps you can get a proxy bidder).

That gives me an excuse to go to Dragonmeet for the first time this century (ghod I feel old sometimes ....).
If you know who I should contact about handing over the glasses feel free to let me know.  

And sometime I must go up the loft and dig out the boxes of really old stuff ....

Finally, yes Belgian Beer 'Goooood' ..... we discovered in Ieper (Ypres or 'Wipers') a new one called Hommel ......

Regards
Mark

Plato

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 pm 

As yes, Belgium - home to the Phlegms.  

Blame Monty Python, not me.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:06 am 

Sometimes you can't even give stuff away .... over the past few months I've used the 'Contact Us' link on the Dragonmeet site three times to try and get some idea of who I could give the TSR glasses to on the day so they got to the auction .... no acknowledgement, no reply .... so I'm saving the train fare, the glasses will stay in the attic and the charity will get less cash .....

If anyone wants the reamining 7 glasses and can figure a way to pick them up from Portsmouth then just let me know .....

Regards
Mark Byng

[quote="MEB_Pompey"]

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, its good that these glasses have a chance of finding a home with someone who will value them.
I pondered giving them all away ... but lawrenson made an excellent suggestion - I will donate the '82 to '88 glasses to the Dragonmeet 2011 charity auction

Plato

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:30 am 

red_bus wrote:Enjoy Belgium - they do amazing beer!

Oh yes they do.  :D   If I ever have the time and money to get over there one of my "for sure" destinations is the St. Sixtus monastery/brewery where they brew Westvleteren 12, widely considered to be the best beer in the world.  They only brew around 150,000 cases (of 12) per year so it is in high demand, and they dont ship overseas.

http://www.westvleteren12.com/Home_Page.html

Or maybe I could just persuade someone to ship me a case next time they are in the neighborhood.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson