White Dwarf - 1-59
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:17 am 

faro wrote:It doesn't seem to matter much, with very few exceptions (e.g. Dragon #1).

That's not what the people who actually bought say.  See above.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 am 

faro wrote: Nice to see other people not indicating higher values, then pouncing when listed. :)

Not sure what you mean.  If anything, it appears that people indicated lower values.  Pre-listing advice was for considerably less than indicated by recent experience.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 am 

DMF wrote:The wild card may be condition.  Common wisdom seems to be that condition doesn't matter much with game mags, but if that is untrue, then adjusting Noble Knight for condition - figuring their "VG+" about my FN+ (7.0/10) - their $65 value adjusted to my grade (~9.0) would be $150-180 !  If condition really does matter then they were seriously under-priced.

OTOH, it was good to move them.

Condition is very important to the pricing of higher value roleplaying collectibles (I don't know about comics or other items).  Collectors will tend to pay a lot more for e.g. a Near-Mint box set or book over one that is well-used or which is worn/stained/partial.  It is, conversely, not so important for common or lower value materials.  So a Dragon Mag #1 (or White Dwarf #1) will go for more if it has clean staples, no-stains, minimal creasing than if it is well-read and dog-eared -- but condition will not matter so much for copy #35.  

I also seem to recall, although I have no hard stats to back it up, that although value drops off fast from the first issue it does so less quickly for early White Dwarf mags than for Dragon Mags (e.g. White Dwarf #12 relatively more valuable than Dragon #12).  Possibly due to the fact that early White Dwarf mags are (a) rarer than Dragons but also (b) not so rare as to pass under the radar (like fanzines).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am 

Yeah, that makes sense.  I did wonder at the drop-off from $175 to $40.  Next time I'll listen to my instincts.  

Btw, I've listed up to #37 (all at $12, which may be a little high).  May not get to any more today.

I'm more than a bit surprised that Acaeum doesn't track WD prices like it does Dragon, which seems to be much less desirable overall (my Dragons haven't been moving and the opinion in the collecting forum is rather low).   Acaeum doesn't even mention WD on the Periodicals page!  C'mon guys! there are good things that weren't made by TSR.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:36 pm 

I thougt I'd join the party and post some of my WDs on e-bay including a collection of 1-90 in near mint condition and original binders.

Also posted a few spare early ones (1R,5R,7,8,9,10,11).  

dominic735935 on e-bay

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:19 pm 

All mine are posted now.  Up to 60 (missing 56,57) and 70.  

Good luck cygnet.  I'll check out your listings and maybe steal a few ideas.  :twisted:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:07 pm 

I'm very new at this - even managed to have photos the wrong way round.  So I doubt there is much you can learn !!

Previous