White Dwarf - 1-59
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:57 pm 

Would someone care to opine on the values of WD 1-59?  All first prints; all in NM condition (some maybe better).  

I note someone has issues 1-12 on ebay for $911 (!) described as being in "very good" condition, which could mean anything.

TIA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:26 pm 

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... GenreID_E_

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... GenreID_E_

Add them up and then figure about 1/3 to 1/2 is a realistic number.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 pm 

DMF wrote:Would someone care to opine on the values of WD 1-59?  All first prints; all in NM condition (some maybe better).  

I note someone has issues 1-12 on ebay for $911 (!) described as being in "very good" condition, which could mean anything.

I vaguely remember some early White Dwarfs (original and reprints) on eBay going for between $10 and $30 apiece.  They were something like 1 through 20 with the early numbers at the high end and the later numbers at the low end.

I know that I am combining at least two different groups of auctions.  I don't even remember what year they were.   :roll:

Yeah, I know that is very little and inaccurate help.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:25 pm 

TheHistorian,

Wow!  Those are big numbers.  Methinks I should list them individually.

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm 

You should deffinately list the first 10 individually. Maybe the first 20. You will be best served if you can post BIG photos and ship internationally. If you're not used to listing on eBay, I'm sure someone here will go through how to get big photos onto your listings, as eBay by default compress and only show fairly small photos.

Then post links in the classified section here, and over in classifieds on Dragonsfoot.org. Between the two, and good clear listings, you should have your best chance of maximizing your returns.

The only downside is timing. ATM people are going to GenCon, and other conventions, and paying for family holidays. There is a natural dip in the market that tends to pick up in September again. It's a buyer's market in the summer months.

Also, time your listings so that they come off 3-4 minutes appart, so that people can be there at the end, one after the other, and time your listings so that they come off on a night you think people will be sitting in front of their PCs. A lot of people seem to go for Thursday night or Sunday night, but not so early that your international customers will be deep asleep or at work. Good timing can also increase the possibility of a good return.

Good luck.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 pm 

Everything Ian said above.

Minor problem, though, in that you're on the wrong side of the pond: an original print WD#1 that might struggle to sell for $70 in the US can go for $200+ in the UK. At the right place, in the right time - possibly with "Best Offer" added on a free listing weekend.

DMF wrote:All first prints; all in NM condition (some maybe better).

Better than NM? Obviously never seen the inside of a binder, then. ;)

WD#1-59 and no O&Ws?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:36 pm 

Never heard of O&W at the time I was buying WD.  Did they even come into US?

I list a lot of comics on eBay and do ship internationally.  (Just sold a Spider-Man to Bulgaria!)  I haven't been posting the big photos cuz I don't have a hosting server/service.  I try to make up for it by detailed condition notes.  (Btw, my eBay pseudo is dmforcier; check out my store (and hurry because a lot of listings expire today).)

One question about the pricing on Noble Knight.  Price doesn't seem to track condition very well.  After the first few, does it track content?  e.g. D&D-heavy issues worth more?  Or are they working off what they had to pay for them?

I appreciate the observations on timing, especially for international buyers.  These will probably be 30-day fixed price, though.

Thanks for the pointers to Classifieds et al!  

Binder?  No way.  I treated these like my comics.  They are bagged and boarded.  Some are barely even read.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:36 pm 

DMF wrote:Wow!  Those are big numbers.  Methinks I should list them individually.

Right, but remember I said that 1/3 to 1/2 those prices is likely closer to reality.

DMF wrote: Price doesn't seem to track condition very well.  After the first few, does it track content?

Probably not.  I'd think the price breaks would be along the lines of:

2-5
6-10
11-20
21-40
41-60

That is, decreasing price for each of those groups.

faro wrote:Minor problem, though, in that you're on the wrong side of the pond: an original print WD#1 that might struggle to sell for $70 in the US can go for $200+ in the UK.

True.  I just picked up an original #1 for $70, and I was the only bidder.  I probably could have let it go and paid even less on a relist, but I thought that was already an excellent price.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm 

They're still big numbers.  Half of $300 is $150 and to me that's a lot for a gaming mag.

What I don't get is why a #36 would be $12 and a #37 in better condition would be $6.  (numbers pulled out of thin air.)  You see that all through their pricing.

Btw, how many of these were reprinted, just the first 5?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 pm 

yes, just the first five..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:01 pm 

Wow!  I listed the first 16 and they freaking evaporated.  Methinks me prices were too low!  #1 $175, #2 $40, #3 $35 ...

Most went to Australia, though I had eBay UK visibility.

Last edited by DMF on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm 

DMF wrote:Wow!  I listed the first 16 and they freaking evaporated.  Methinks me prices were too low!  #1 $175, #2 $40, #3 $35 ...

Can you tell us if the buyers were US, UK, or other?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:27 pm 

I'd say your prices for #2-5 were maybe $30 too low. #1 was on the button for a quaick sale, but if you were willing to wait the 30 days, you may have beed able to comfortably list at $225-250. It all comes down to how fast you want to make a sale.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:00 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Can you tell us if the buyers were US, UK, or other?

Edit: About half to Australia and half to Canada.  None to the UK yet.

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd say your prices for #2-5 were maybe $30 too low.

I'd have to agree given the feeding frenzy, but I wasn't aiming for a quick sale.  My practice for comics is to price at 60% of retail, and they move slow.  Using Noble Knight to establish an approximate retail value, I was at or above 60% on these.  

The wild card may be condition.  Common wisdom seems to be that condition doesn't matter much with game mags, but if that is untrue, then adjusting Noble Knight for condition - figuring their "VG+" about my FN+ (7.0/10) - their $65 value adjusted to my grade (~9.0) would be $150-180 !  If condition really does matter then they were seriously under-priced.

OTOH, it was good to move them.

Last edited by DMF on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 pm 

I bought the #1 and a few others, it was the condition that got me to purchase, I already have two #1's but both were nicely used  :wink:

Good to have a Nm one now :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd say your prices for #2-5 were maybe $30 too low. #1 was on the button for a quaick sale, but if you were willing to wait the 30 days, you may have beed able to comfortably list at $225-250. It all comes down to how fast you want to make a sale.

*g* Way low, but better than "$10 and $30 apiece", I guess. ;)

Compare with the other #1 that just completed at $166 with creases, spine tears, edge toning, etc.;

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

or (further back) $28 for a badly worn #16;  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
. Nice to see other people not indicating higher values, then pouncing when listed. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:24 pm 

DMF wrote:Never heard of O&W at the time I was buying WD.  Did they even come into US?

[OT] IIRC if you check the inside of WD#1 before y'ship that you'll see O&Ws for sale: the advert was updated for the reprints, I think.
Surprising how many early WDs /are/ in the US vs. the total dearth of O&Ws given that it took a couple of issues of WD for the distribution chain to get their act together. Maybe Steve and Ian were a bit shy with those, compared with those "common" Strategic Reviews (both in terms of numbers printed and frequency with which those appear).

DMF wrote:The wild card may be condition.  Common wisdom seems to be that condition doesn't matter much with game mags

It doesn't seem to matter much, with very few exceptions (e.g. Dragon #1).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm 

faro wrote:*g* Way low, but better than "$10 and $30 apiece", I guess. ;)

Nice to see other people not indicating higher values, then pouncing when listed. :)

Yeah, that was rather interesting.

Next