1974 Brown Box + Supplements valuation
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm 

Hey folks, while googling around, I stumbled across this site and the forums.

While rummaging through my collection (I've been selling off various bits on ebay and elsewhere), I stumbled across my old (old old) copy of the D&D original rules in the brown box.

This set was given to me many years ago, and travelled across most of the country, so it's in far from pristine shape (weathered would be the polite term), it is also incomplete, missing the first of the 3 core books.

On top of all that, most of the books were wrapped in makeshift paper 'dustsleeves' to protect them (and I'm not going to risk damaging them by removing the sleeves). There is noticable rust from the staples, but otherwise, the interior pages seem to be in perfect condition, with no mold, warping, water damage, or any other visible problems.

So, with all those caveats, here's what the collection contains:

1 very battered brown box
Volume 2: Underworld & Wilderness Adventures
Volume 3: Monsters & Treasures
Reference Sheets

Swords & Spells
Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes
Greyhawk
Blackmoor

Here's an album with quick shots of the books:
http://imgur.com/a/T1VyS#nCNW1

I can provide more closeups/page shots as needed to verify what they are, what condition they're in, or what printings they might be.

So my query then - is this collection worth anything?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 pm 

It does look pretty beat....  What printings are the Vol 2 and Vol 3 books (check inside front and back covers)?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am 

There's no printing numbers on the inside that I can see, just a message about inquiring about rules by sending TSR a SASE. Any other identifiers? Monsters & Treasure refers to Ents and Balrogs if that helps.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 am 

If it is a first print then I would say around $300 - $500.

Having siad that being incomplete is a real deal breaker for most; I can't imagine buying that box set and looking for a few years to complete it.  But you never know.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 am 

I would think it in the seller's interest to try to find the missing booklet to complete the set.  That may not be possible/easy/quick, but the investment would probably pay off in a much greater total sale price, right?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 pm 

At least there's no pictures of New Kids on the Block with that one... whew.

Ask me about my new M16!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:27 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I would think it in the seller's interest to try to find the missing booklet to complete the set.  That may not be possible/easy/quick, but the investment would probably pay off in a much greater total sale price, right?

sure, it may double the price or more

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 pm 

Amazon has several copies of Men & Magic for sale, but does it need to be the same printing as the one I have?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm 

Mercer wrote:Amazon has several copies of Men & Magic for sale, but does it need to be the same printing as the one I have?

Yes it does otherwise it becomes two incomplete sets, Frankenstein

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm 

I'll look over the ones I have more carefully, see if I can figure out which printing they are. Trying to get someone on Amazon to determine the same will likely be a much more difficult task.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 am 

True.  If you want some help sometime over the weekend, free free to call me (phone # listed on my web page @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/dog_contact.html and I'm in CDT time zone).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm 

grodog wrote:True.  If you want some help sometime over the weekend, free free to call me (phone # listed on my web page @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/dog_contact.html and I'm in CDT time zone).

Grodog is a trustworthy member of this site, though you must be careful when entering his Castly Greyhawk.  :)