Collection Appraisal for Insurance
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 pm 

Hello folks!

I have a strange request: how and where can I find a reputable appraisal of my D&D collection? I started not too long ago, but I have already spent a fair amount of cash in it. I might be overly protective or conservative, but seeing thousands of $$ sitting around uninsured is not my style.

Not too long ago, stratochamp posted photos of his monstrous collection on this site and I asked the question about insurance. He mentioned a company, and I am sure I can find others. But to get this appraised is not that easy. Let's be honest: at best this is an obscure hobby; at worst, it's crazy as hell. Not a lot of expertise around for this stuff. Are there reputable appraisers for D&D out there?

Mind you, it's gets more complicated: I am in Puerto Rico. I must be one of a handful of D&D collectors here, if there are any others (I have not heard of any; there are no hobby stores here with old D&D stuff; I think there is ONE store that has latest edition AD&D and runs Encounters... :roll: ). I have collected baseball cards my whole life, and I can get them appraised and insured here in a second. But, D&D stuff??

I can probably get 95% of the receipts since I started, but this is cost, not value.

I might be willing to ship all my stuff stateside, so somebody can give me an idea of value. But:
1. Who can I trust? I might as well send an empty check instead!
2. Who is reputable enough to have or get the confidence of the insurance company?
3. I have an insurance broker; they might have additional requirements.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hector.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 pm 

http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/faq.html#28

I'm interested in insuring my collection.  How should I go about it?

"The main difficulty in insuring a D&D collection is that most insurance companies require you to show "evidence of value" before they will insure.  Unfortunately, there's a notable lack of qualified D&D appraisers -- to be officially certified as an appraiser, you have to have worked professionally in the field of appraising for a number of years; sort of a chicken-and-egg dilemma.  A State Farm employee had this to say: "Contact a bookstore (preferably a used bookstore) and tell them that you need to know the estimated value of the books for insurance purposes.  Get something in writing if you can.  According to our claims office, various bookstores have a system that they use to determine the value of rare and out-of-print books (because they have to be able to price them for resale in most cases) and this evidence can be used to support an insurance claim.  At least, it satisfies State Farm."  Most likely, the valuation that the bookstore conducts will be based on either eBay or The Acaeum -- either way, you'll have what you need."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 pm 

Thank you for your interest.

But I was hoping that other collectors had already gome down this road and knew appraisers, which is really the main problem here. Insurers are pretty easy to come by. I know plenty of them, especially through my business.

I've asked these questions to my broker, who is researching the issue. Hopefully, he can get me a solution.

Good luck,

Hector.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 pm 

A cheaper and safer option than mailing your collection which you could employ quickly is to meticulously videotape all of your collection with a running commentary.  You could then mail the videotape to an appraiser who could establish an insurance amount.  

Finally, make sure you give the videotape to a relative you trust or put it in a safe deposit box.  This is a good thing to do around the whole house while you are at it with another videotape.  While the videotape and appraisal may get you less than full value, it's better than nothing.  I'd also ask your insurance company if this plan is feasible and get their response in writing.

It's just an idea.   You do what you want.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm 

benjoshua wrote:A cheaper and safer option than mailing your collection which you could employ quickly is to meticulously videotape all of your collection with a running commentary.  You could then mail the videotape to an appraiser who could establish an insurance amount.  

Finally, make sure you give the videotape to a relative you trust or put it in a safe deposit box.  This is a good thing to do around the whole house while you are at it with another videotape.  While the videotape and appraisal may get you less than full value, it's better than nothing.  I'd also ask your insurance company if this plan is feasible and get their response in writing.

It's just an idea.   You do what you want.  8)

Good suggestion. Appreciate it.

Hector.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm 

I use these guys for my comic book collection:  http://www.collectinsure.com/

I haven't added my RPGs yet, but obviously I should, and I expect there will be no problem doing so.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 am 

It would probably be cheaper for you to fly out an appraiser, than to send all your items away for appraisal...   :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:21 am 

TheHistorian wrote:I use these guys for my comic book collection:  http://www.collectinsure.com/

I haven't added my RPGs yet, but obviously I should, and I expect there will be no problem doing so.

Great resource! Thanks! :D

Hector.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:It would probably be cheaper for you to fly out an appraiser, than to send all your items away for appraisal...   :)

You're probably right...though my couple-of-shelves-long collection isn't much...yet! :)

Hector.