Some late '70s early '80s items
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 am 

Hi folks,
This is my first post and I apologize if I fowl up procedure here! I'm an old-school gamer having played D&D for the first time in 7th grade nearly 30 years ago. Over the years I've collected a decent number of things and kept them as they hold a special place in my heart. However, the time has come to move on and I'd rather pass them on to someone who will really appreciate them versus posting them on ebay and hoping for the best.

With that said, I'm not really sure how much value some of my items hold. To be honest, I'd prefer to sell them as a collection versus one at a time. I thought I'd list some of the items I think may be of interest but I have quite a lot that I'm not listing below. Please feel free to PM me if you want a complete list or want to discuss any of the items further. I'm happy to take scans or photos of any of the items listed. The condition on all items probably come up as VG but I'm not 100% sure how to grade them - is there a place on this site that provides a guide to grading?

MODULES - OLD
G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (2nd printing)
G2 (3rd printing)
G3 (2nd printing)

D1 (4th printing)
D3 (3rd printing)

EX1 Dungeonland (1st printing)
EX2 The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (1st printing)

H2 The Mines of Bloodstone (C) 1986

WG7 World of Greyhawk (C) 1988

Fantasy Master The Abduction of Good King Despot (C) 1987 (NM as it is still in the original shrink wrap)

The Gates of Firestorm Peak (C) 1996

Necropolis and the Land of Ægypt by Gary Gygax (C) unknown

MODULES - NEWER
The Accursed Tower by R.A. Salvatore (C) 1999 (Signed by the author - reads "To Chris, This one is fun. R A Salvatore"

Three Days To Kill - D20 (2nd printing 2000)
In The Belly of the Beast - D20 (1st printing 2001)
The Tide of Years - D20 (1st printing 2001)

The WitchFire Trilogy B1 The Longest Night (C) 2001

Castle Dunmere - D20 (C) 2001

The Hermit by Gary Gygax (C) 2002

A Challenge of Arms with Gary Gygax (C) 1998
The Ritual of the Golden Eyes with Gary Gygax (C) 1998

PERIODICALS
Best of The Dragon vol. I
Best of Dragon vol. IV
Best of Dragon vol. V

Dungeon Magazine May/June 1989 Issue #17

Lejends Magazine vol 1 issue 1
Lejends Magazine vol 2 issue 13
(Gary Gygax's Lejendary Adventure supplement)

RULE BOOKS
Dungeon Masters Guide (C) 1979 (4th printing)
Players Handbook (C) 1978 (7th printing)
Greyhawk Adventures (C) 1988
Dungeon Master's Guide 2nd Edition (C) 1989
Monster Manual 2nd Edition (C) 1993

Ars Magica (C) 1989 (2nd edition)

The Chronicles of the Lejendary Earth Gazetteer by Gary Gygax (C) 2001 (Signed by Gary Gygax, and numbered X of 200 - I have #57, 59, 61, 52 which is a long story.)

--

Where I've listed printings, I found the information on this excellent site.

Not listed above are various Ars Magica 3rd and 4th edition resources, some Dangerous Journeys source books by Gary Gygax, and a few other oddities.

I also have some signed prints by a couple of fantasy artists (Les Evans and Jay Whitthoft). These are black-and-white pen drawings that have been featured in various source books. I have no idea what these may be worth.

Last but not least I have 64 sets of Chessex dice still in their jewel cases. I've got great pics of these already so if you are collect polyhedral sets or just want to boost your current collection, I can send you details and pics of them.

Thanks so much for your time and for any feedback you may have!

Cheers,
Chris

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 am 

The older modules (TSR) youi can find decent ranges for pricing here.

The Newer AD&D 2nd Edition Core Rules Books, if mint, or close, up to $15 each if you dont mind waiting a while.
Otherwise safely $10.

Most of the newer modules look like no more than $5 to me.
Perhaps the signed Accursed Tower would garner more interest.

The Chessex Dice might be sold to a re-seller like Badmike if you can give him a price that allows for a good re-sale for him.
He will be selling a lot of items at the NTRPGCON and could likely sell a good number of the jewel cases of complete dice sets.
For a good price, he might buy at least some of them.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:The older modules (TSR) youi can find decent ranges for pricing here.

The Newer AD&D 2nd Edition Core Rules Books, if mint, or close, up to $15 each if you dont mind waiting a while.
Otherwise safely $10.

Most of the newer modules look like no more than $5 to me.
Perhaps the signed Accursed Tower would garner more interest.

The Chessex Dice might be sold to a re-seller like Badmike if you can give him a price that allows for a good re-sale for him.
He will be selling a lot of items at the NTRPGCON and could likely sell a good number of the jewel cases of complete dice sets.
For a good price, he might buy at least some of them.

Hey Chris;

Most of those values can be found by cross referencing Ebay with Noble Knight and Troll and Toad games (their prices will be the high end of the spectrum but can give you an idea). There is nothing really rare in the group but a lot of items that would get you $10-$20 at ebay. The items of interest would be the signed Lejendary Earth Gazeteer and Abduction of Good King Despot in the SW. H2 would get you $20 or more if properly sold.  As for the dice we have members here that are much more into the dice culture and could tell you if certain sets are harder to find than others.....otherwise unless a special production most sets would sell in the $5 range or less I'd expect.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hello Chris!  You can find out about grading here:  http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

and welcome to the forum.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:17 pm 

Thank you folks for making me feel welcome. I miss chatting with fellow gamers - all my friends are into MMOs now and life moves on. I was very active in the gaming community at one time but now I'm focused on raising my two boys and being a good husband. I've tried to get my boys interested in tabletop gaming a few times but they are much more interested in video games.

This community seems very friendly and I may lurk about from time to time. I will post a few more items that may be of interest to folks and everything else goes to eBay I suppose.

As an aside, anyone interested in Magic the Gathering or Mage Knights? I've got a fairly extensive collection of both. My MtG days go back to 3rd Edition, but I may have a few 1st edition cards. Everything is older than 12 years or so. The Mage Knight collection is mostly from the first 3 sets they made.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome. I look forward to some engaging conversations to bring back memories of simpler days.

Cheers to all,
Chris

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 am 

wrathlight wrote:As an aside, anyone interested in Magic the Gathering or Mage Knights?

I have a large collection of Mage Knight figures, but I haven't played in years.  I always thought it was a great game.  I have my personal collection, and sold all my extra/trading figures several years ago.  Every once in a while I'll pull them out and reminisce.  Good times.    8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm 

wrathlight wrote:As an aside, anyone interested in Magic the Gathering or Mage Knights?

I'll admit that I still play Magic the Gathering occasionally.
Have a fairly extensive collection that goes up to the latest set released last month. Used to play semi-competitively including a few Grand Prix's in Asia.

But I've found that more of my disposable income is going towards rpgs these days. :)

I would be interested in finding out what you have.

Best regards,
Ronald

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 am 

wrathlight wrote:As an aside, anyone interested in Magic the Gathering or Mage Knights? I've got a fairly extensive collection of both. My MtG days go back to 3rd Edition, but I may have a few 1st edition cards. Everything is older than 12 years or so.

I wasn't a MTG user, I was a MTG dealer.  :wink:

Ahhh the good old days of disposable income and putting a down payment on your house by selling magic cards.

And a power-9 set could be worth four to five thousand today... why did I have to sell all of my cards years ago...

I think I still have a few hundred cards left, and two or three play decks (but none of the power-9 cards or dual lands).

If you like MTG, you should try Dominion.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:52 am 

Hey IO, have you placed Thunderstone? I enjoy Dominion quite a lot but have more fun playing Thunderstone. Dominion is a better game as far as mechanics and balance goes, but Thunderstone is just more fun!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:12 pm 

I have maybe 3K MTG Cards. From what I can see, they are absolutely valueless.
Great for putting aside for the kids in the future; good gameplay etc. But as regards value, very few cards have any worth, and the odds of having them is incredibly slim.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 pm 

Hi,

it still amazes me that my wife can just look thru a collection of Mtg cards and sort out all the valuable ones and the bin-able ones just by looking at them.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:18 pm 

I tried looking through eBay and looking through my box load, but it's like herding cats. I did pick out the dual lands, but the rest are just pictures and names, and even the ones that were desirable when I played are acompletely valueless nowadays.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:53 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I tried looking through eBay and looking through my box load, but it's like herding cats. I did pick out the dual lands, but the rest are just pictures and names, and even the ones that were desirable when I played are acompletely valueless nowadays.

You should take them to a dealer. The values of cards change as new cards, and new card combinations, come out. You never know...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord