Another odd find: pre-production third edition DMG
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm 

It's amazing what you find when you root around in storage.   Back shortly before the release of third edition D&D, I was working for Emperor's Choice, which was one of the first companies to sign on to produce 3E-compatible material.

As a result, we wound up getting pre-production copies of the PHB and DMG.  I don't know what's become of the PHB, but I found the DMG.

It's rough perfect-bound (the sort of thing they'll do at Kinko's) with plain light brown covers with "Dungeon Master's Guide" printed on the front and a black spine.  The pages are printed in black and white, and many of them have the file designation at the top--for instance, "T11551_620_DMG Chpt3.qxd 6/26/00 11:59 AM Page 85"

It's not in mint condition--it was a working copy, it's been in storage for a decade, and the covers are light cardstock or oaktag.  The corners show wear, and there are a few smudges on the cover.  Apart from that, it's actually still in very good shape.

Is something like this worth anything?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm 

At Gencon of few of those sold.  I bought one I thinkl I got it for $70 or so.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm 

These were also available to RPGA members to give 3e a go.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:00 am 

Used to be high side of $100 each for the DMG, PHB & MM (a few bucks more for Monte Cook's personal copies) but the world wants 4e now. *jk*

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"