Early White Dwarfs / Gazeteers / Creature Crucible / etc
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:55 pm 

Hi guys,

Given my recent lack of success in selling WD's 50 to 100 on eBay  :cry: I'd be grateful for your thoughts on selling some early issues I never realised I had:-

White Dwarf
19-21
23-24
26-31 (x2 copies of 27 & 28 each)
33-47

I'd say they are all more or less "Very Good" condition (according to the Acaeum's own grading system).

Would you guys recommend selling them as a job lot on eBay, or would you recommend the hassle of selling them individually. Would anyone be able to give me a ballpark figure on how much I could expect to get for them ?

I also have 11 Gazeteers (i.e. Dwarves of Rockhome. dawn of the Emperors, etc) all unplayed and minimum "Very Good" condition. These seem to be going for stupid money in the USA (looking at some eBay "Buy It Now" prices). What are these really worth ?

Again, minimum "Very Good" condition and all unplayed I also have PC1 - 3 of the Creature crucible series.

The bits and bobs I also found floating around my loft - again all unplayed and minimum "Very Good" - which I'd also appreciate a guestimate value are:-

Steve Jackson's "Titan:The Fantasy World"
Gay Gygax's "The City State of the Invincible Overlord" (Boxed)
"The City of Greyhawk" (Boxed)
Fantasy Games Unlimited's "Castle Plans"

Thank-you for your time ! All helpful comments greatly appreciated ! (and will someone PLEASE take WD50-100 off me !  :P

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarfs are not Happy.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:35 pm 

White Dwarf:  Unless they are mint I would say $1-5 each

Gazeteers have a great follwoing and are worth selling individually, check the completed items for auctions on ebay for better values.  Ensure they have maps, inserts, and counters prior to listing.

Others:

Steve Jackson's "Titan:The Fantasy World"
I don't know, never heard of it

Gay Gygax's "The City State of the Invincible Overlord" (Boxed)
This is a unique item as Gay Gygax never wrote this IO  :lol: ,  If it is what I am thinking about (Mafair set) then in MINT it is worth $10-$15

"The City of Greyhawk" (Boxed)
Nice set of this worth $30 or so

Fantasy Games Unlimited's "Castle Plans"
$10 - $20 in great condition

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:59 pm 

Many thanks Blackmoor....

And apologies for any possible defamation of character to the late great Gary (not"Gay") Gygax. My bad. Ooops.   :oops:

Yes, I just noticed that the Invincible Overlord is Mayfair Games (the intro is by the great man himself), so thanks for the correction !

All the best !
Dave

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:00 pm 

kiwi17 wrote:Steve Jackson's "Titan:The Fantasy World"

I think this is the book OP is speaking of.
http://images.wikia.com/fightingfantasy ... geWrap.jpg

If so, then it is One of two manuals for Steve Jackson's Fighting Fantasy World "Titan"
http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F ... asy_Manual

Here is the other book, Out of the Pit (Monster book)
http://images.wikia.com/fightingfantasy ... geWrap.jpg
The books were originally published in 1985 and 1986 respectively, before the term "Advanced Fighting Fantasy System" was coined in 1989. When AFF was crystallised as a role-playing system with the publishing of Dungeoneer, it was a logical fit to have this book as an accompaniment, along with the other Manual, Out of the Pit.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:40 pm 

Nice one Gnat ! That's the book. Never seen Out of the Pit though !

(What/Who is "OP" by the way ?)  :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 pm 

.....aaaahhhh - Original Poster. Got it. :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 pm 

kiwi17 wrote:Nice one Gnat ! That's the book. Never seen Out of the Pit though !

(What/Who is "OP" by the way ?)  :?

OP is original poster. I do not know the UK market so my advice is to look for listings of these items and if you see several buy it now auctions try to undercut their price.

Auction prices don't mean squat because a good day over inflates and a bad day undercuts. Best thing you can do is to figure out a high bin price if there are no others to compare it to and see what happens. In the USA they are doing some free listing thing for 50 or so bins.

For example, in the USA you can get White Dwarfs cheap but you can also snag around $10 per issue for pre-100 issues if you get someone filling out their collection who is not going to wait and try to find them cheap at auction. If you are listing them for free and aren't in a rush to sell them quick, then take the long view and try to get top dollar.

Auctions are for quick sales, but normally you just do not make the kind of money from an item that you can get with an educated buy it now price. If you are just looking to dump your stuff then auction is the way to go.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:55 pm 

Thanks J.

Yeah I've just been clearing out a lot of old stuff over the last few months - I'm not overly worried about getting top dollar for stuff. I'm happy just to get a fair price and have it go to someone who enjoys role-playing as much as I once did  8)

All the best.
Dave

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:37 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:OP is original poster.

I'm still trying to get used to "poster," which in my mind will always be something made of paper with a picture of Farah Fawcett on it. Is OP like Original Patriarch or Original Gangsta?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:43 pm 

lmao....I thought he was calling me an Obnoxious Prat. :lol:  Oh no, hang on that's what my wife calls me......