Grenadier WIZZARDS & WARRIORS Blister pack value?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:49 pm 

Greetings. I have just joined the forums here, and I have a question for the learned elders. 8) Recently, I picked up a bunch of OLD blister packs at a FLGS (yes, I'm the one who sold metamorphosissigma all the GAMMA WORLD blisters 8) ). I picked up a few other curiousities at the same time... two of the Grenadier AD&D line blisters (Elementals I and Djinni/Efreet... and yes, they are available for sale 8) ), but I came across something I can't get any hard info on.

It's a blister of Grenadier's WIZZARDS & WARRIORS figures. The card is labelled as "D-01 Dungeon".  The blister itself contains 8 lead figures... one is a dwarf with a horned helmet, the rest are kind of hard to figure out without opening the package. I know these are very rare. However, I can't find anything ANYWHERE that tells me anything about a set with that designation. Is it a misprint on the card? If so, best guess as to what it is? If not... what is it? I have found some evidence of a W&W BOXED set labelled "Dungeon", but can't find any pictures, or a listing of what was in it.

Anybody have an idea what I have? And what it might be worth?

The Badger King

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hi Badger,

In an old Grenadier catalog I found reference to the figure pack you are asking about.  It is labeled correctly.  It is a set of figures intended for use with the TSR Boardgame Dungeon and was the precursor to the boxed set that you found reference to.  The picture I have shows 14 or 15 figures, though I am not sure if all of these were to be included in the D01 pack.  Most, if not all, of the figures in the picture were re-used in other boxed sets released later.

I am sorry that I can't help you on the value of this item.  As you mention, they are very rare.  Back in the day, they sold for $2.98 a pack.   :lol:

If you decide to sell the pack, I would be interested in purchasing it.

Take care,

Boreas

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm 

This line was discontinued prior to 1983, when Grenadier entered its AD&D period.

From wiki:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lost ... s#Blisters

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 pm 

I had thought that maybe these figures had something to do with the DUNGEON board game, so I'm comforted to see that I was on the right track. I would imagine there must be a DUNGEON D-02 pack floating around somewhere, with the other 7 figures in it.

Now, to try and valuate them. The only prices I've seen for W&W blisters has been in the $30-$40, and I imagine these would be even rarer.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 pm 

I checked all of my catalogs for reference and can find no evidence of a second pack (D-02), though I can't be 100% certain.  As mentioned above this blister consisted of figures available in other packs and eventually boxed sets, including the Dungeon boxed set with 8 figures, presumably the same ones you see in the pack.

Andy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:09 am 

I checked the master product list in The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier and there was only one entry under the Dungeon heading:

D01 8 figures for TSR game
Released 1980

As for the value, I don't think it matters if you list it at .99 or 9.99 - chances are it will top $20+ if not a lot more.

Make sure you let the folks over on the Collecting Grenadier Models group know if you list it for sale:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Collectin ... ierModels/

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm 

Ha. They already know about it, apparently. I had somone interested in buying it before, but his offer wasn't acceptable. However, I see he has let the group know he has the picture I sent him of the package. 8)