Outdoor Geomorphs 1977
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 pm 

I have a set of D&D Outdoor Geomorphs, Set One (Item F1005), c1977. It is in plastic wrap, but has water damage. Should this be graded as Fair or Good, and what do you think I should ask for it at an upcoming SciFi/Fantasy Convention dealer room?

Image links below.

F1005 Front

F1005 Back

F1005 Water Damage Front

F1005 Water Damage Back

Thanks much!
Bill

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:31 pm 

FWIW, I'd probably classify them as Poor, given the likelihood that they're substantially molded and/or the sheets are cemented together due to the moisture.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:41 pm 

I agree with Allan....  POOR...

Personally; I would not even think of taking that item into/with my collection, being concerned the mold/mildew could spread to other items.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh, but I do have a few items that are (what I consider) of Great Value.
Certainly great value to me and I would never take that chance.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:23 pm 

Water damage does not automatically lead to mold, nor stuck pages.

In this case I wonder if it would actually make more sense to remove the shrinkwrap to be certain of what you're dealing with.  Smarmy, do you have an opinion on that?  :)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:47 pm 

I was just going off of the black stuff that seems to be filamenting off of the edge of the pages, in the two larger pics....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:54 pm 

I'm not so sure it's mold. The blackish stuff stuck in the wrinkles in the shrinkwrap (most noticeable in picture 1) seems to be some kind of sediment deposited by the water. The top left of the back cover pic looks most like mold, but if you look closely it almost seems like the blackish stuff adheres to the plastic rather than the paper. There's also not a lot of wrinkling.

My concern would be more what kind of "water" is the culprit here (septic? I've had that happen once myself, with books packed for shipment near a toilet which overflowed when the system backed up, yuck).

If I were you, I'd remove the shrink and examine all the pages. Also, is there an odor and what is its nature? If the black stuff is just on the shrink, removing it would half solve the problem, and complete sets of this title go for decent money without shrink.

Just my 2 cents.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

Well, I was also concerned about the mold that you mentioned, so I removed the grubby plastic wrap. I don't want to pollute anyone's collection or home.

The outer covers are water stained as shown in the pics, but most of the interior pages are undamaged. Only the first page shows a water stain at all. No pages are sticking together, and I detect no mold.

Still poor condition? Is $50 a fair price to ask?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:19 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Water damage does not automatically lead to mold, nor stuck pages.

In this case I wonder if it would actually make more sense to remove the shrinkwrap to be certain of what you're dealing with.  Smarmy, do you have an opinion on that?  :)

Yes.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I would remove the shrink to make sure it is not mold because you do not want one rouge piece even in shrink wrap to contaminate your collection.  

This was difficult to type, but with the water damage and potential nastiness inside, "Mr Gembala, tear down that shrink!"

In this condition, $50 seems a bit high with water stains (and thankfully no mold or stuck pages.)  $25 is probably a better price for someone looking for a placeholder copy to be upgraded in the future.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:48 pm 

gembala wrote:Well, I was also concerned about the mold that you mentioned, so I removed the grubby plastic wrap. I don't want to pollute anyone's collection or home.

The outer covers are water stained as shown in the pics, but most of the interior pages are undamaged. Only the first page shows a water stain at all. No pages are sticking together, and I detect no mold.

Still poor condition? Is $50 a fair price to ask?

Could you post new pictures (same shots, plus a couple of the worst interiors), for comparison? Maybe an edge-on shot to see how much wrinkling/warping there is to the textblock as a whole? I don't think $50 would be too much to ask, as long as there is no odor, and the possibility of mold is eliminated. Might do better at auction.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Could you post new pictures (same shots, plus a couple of the worst interiors), for comparison? Maybe an edge-on shot to see how much wrinkling/warping there is to the textblock as a whole? I don't think $50 would be too much to ask, as long as there is no odor, and the possibility of mold is eliminated. Might do better at auction.

I agree:  with no mold and minimal water damage, on just the exterior pages, then you may see $35-75 in auction.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:22 am 

grodog wrote:I agree:  with no mold and minimal water damage, on just the exterior pages, then you may see $35-75 in auction.

I think this is a reasonable range of expectation for an auction.
And if it got $50 or better, I would be pleased in your shoes.

Ya never know though.
With no mold, this set may do better than expected bidding.
I know that was what worried me most.
Some might fight harder for it than expected and it could exceed $50.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:30 am 

Thanks for the advice! Here are some additional pictures:

F1005 Flat Pages

F1005 Fanned Pages

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Bill

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 am 

Now that the plastic is off, would you post a close up picture of the other side, showing the rear page/sheet where the "Dark Spots" were?
Where some of us thought it might be mold?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:13 pm 

Sure! Here you go:

F1005 Back Pages1

F1005 Back Pages2

I do see some spotting on the back cover. Is that Mold? Yikes.

Last edited by gembala on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:12 pm 

Your second photo did not work.
Please fix?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 pm 

Oops. Fixed.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:25 pm 

Thanks for fixing the second picture, it shows much better what is going on.
Hard to tell but the tiny dark spots do not seem to be Mold to me, or at least not active mold.
The picture you linked to in your first post made it look much worse inside the Shrink Wrap.
I think you did right to rip the SW off this set and that probably should have been done a long time ago.

Even if it is mold it is not a bad case of it and would not scare me off from bidding if I needed a set as a place holder for a collection.
I could place the set into a regular collectors plastic bag and then that all inside a large sized ziplock bag and not be concerned about my other items.

The water damage is obvious and much more prevailant on this set though, and as to that...
What a shame.