Warriors of Mars
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 am 

Any particular site where I could get a good idea of what a copy of this is worth?

Saw a couple of current and completed listings on ebay for it, but would like to get a more solid value.

Thanks -

James

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 am 

prb at tomeoftreasures.com you can find some more auction history...
cheers
axel

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 am 

They don't come up every month but usually a few a year.  This was the last one I remember:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Name on the cover decreased the final price a bit.  The have sold in the $400 range the last couple years.  Tough to say if the last copy (sold at $177) indicates that most collectors now have copies and the price is coming down again or it just wasn't a very desirably copy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 am 

Mars wrote:Tough to say if the last copy (sold at $177) indicates that most collectors now have copies and the price is coming down again or it just wasn't a very desirably copy.

I suspect their camera didn't help - describing the copy as "yellowed" when, from a scan through their pics, at least part of that was down to the manner of taking their photos.
Playing down the /good/ condition points while highlighting "faults" such as the non-standard price sticker on the front, bent corners, thumbmarks in the upper margin, etc., might've cost the seller $25-50 IMO but a big thumbs up for honesty.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am 

Honesty definitely incurs its own costs, but the alternative is no less expensive:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 am 

The one I bought was included in a lot. I valued it at $200. I had heard others sold for $400 - 500, which I thought was rather ridiculous. Personally, I'd value it, like I said, at $200.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:59 pm 

serleran wrote:The one I bought was included in a lot. I valued it at $200. I had heard others sold for $400 - 500, which I thought was rather ridiculous. Personally, I'd value it, like I said, at $200.

For quite a while, these had been topping $400 or more.  I dont recall seeing one go for less than that for the first several years I was a member here.  I've never thought of that price being ridiculous.  The few that went for more than $500 in the past....yeah, not so sane.

Mars wrote:Tough to say if the last copy (sold at $177) indicates that most collectors now have copies and the price is coming down again

I think this is pretty close to reality.  Who knows if that .pdf floating around has anything to do with it.  :wink:

By the way, for those that dont recall, there was a copy at last year's NTRPG Con that someone paid quite a bit for.  I want to say a bit over $400 but I cant say for sure.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:37 pm 

Ave -

Appreciate the info.

For what it is worth (no pictures, I am on the other side of the state at the moment), my copy is still in the envelope it came in when I bought it through the mail.  Probably as 'mint' as is possible (no markings, yellowing, price tag).

I had forgotten I had it until I was looking through a closet for some other gaming items.  Probably opened it and glanced through it once (twice now).

Thanks again.

James

P.S.  Presume the Troll and Toads $356.00 buy it now is based on those past $400.00 sales.  They seem to rum a bit high.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:07 pm 

And T&T have the condition listed as "collectable".  Whatever that means.  The price probably reflects the actual condition.  Even though there is this line in the description:

ACTUAL BOOK: is very nice, has very little shelf wear, slight yellowing and no rust on the staples.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was heavy staple rust, water damage, and torn pages.  They would still consider it worth that much.  Now if they had a NM copy of it, I'd bet you wouldnt see a price below $700.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm 

You should do well if you're selling, James: not so easy to replace in that condition...
Worth asking, too, as to whether that's just a plain envelope it's in?

goragrad wrote:P.S.  Presume the Troll and Toads $356.00 buy it now is based on those past $400.00 sales.  They seem to rum a bit high.

A good number of Troll & Toad's higher-end sales have been cheaper than they should have been, thanks to general cluelessness.
$356 for that copy is probably a bit on the low side vs. other sales in the past few years, especially if it's Ken Fonarow provenance since his higher end items were generally sweet.
The risk, of course, is that T&T actually send you a copy of Eldritch Wizardry in error and lose the WoM down the back of a chair.:?

I'd agreed with the "WoM is overpriced" camp in the past, not least that the bulk of the price increase was caused by a single seller holding out for a very high price (eventually someone thought they'd seen a copy sell for that amount before!), but it does have a good number of plus points for "future potential"; not least that it clearly is a "RPG".

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 pm 

Rough economy aside:
If it is in the condition you stated with the original mailing envelope too...
Then (If it was mine) I would not even THINK of selling it for less than $400.
And that is probably a GREAT deal for the buyer even at that price.

And I know of at least 3 Acaeum members who would likely pay that and (perhaps) more for a Pristine Minty Mint copy of Warriors of Mars and the original mailing envelope would just add to the flavor of the book IMO.
If I had the funds, you could add one more name to the list of eager collectors fighting over it.
Heck those guys have probably already bombarded you with PMs and requests for scans/pictures.

DO NOT SELL IT CHEAP!

Certainly not for what that written on copy on E-bay recently went for.
And if I had known it would sell that low, I would have bid on it using my Credit Card to pay and worry about funds later. :wink:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:14 pm 

tiro wrote:Honesty definitely incurs its own costs, but the alternative is no less expensive:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez

Nice hook, Stephen, but given the gender bias around here I'm not so sure about the applicability. ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 pm 

faro wrote:Nice hook, Stephen, but given the gender bias around here I'm not so sure about the applicability. ;)

Lol...well taken.

I have a special weakness for Hildegunn, though. She's beautiful, smart, and very charming. Couldn't resist bringing her into this.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:28 pm 

tiro wrote:I have a special weakness for Hildegunn, though. She's beautiful, smart, and very charming. Couldn't resist bringing her into this.

Where's a Warriors of Venus thread when you need one? :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 pm 

[quote="goragrad"]Ave -

Appreciate the info.

For what it is worth (no pictures, I am on the other side of the state at the moment), my copy is still in the envelope it came in when I bought it through the mail.  Probably as 'mint' as is possible (no markings, yellowing, price tag).

i own a mint copy of warriors of mars. mint to me means there could be no better copy, others could merely also be free of flaws. but i digress (i too couldn't help myself). when you mention that your WoM is still in the envelope it came in, are you suggesting that this came from TSR directly back in 1976?

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 pm 

Ave -

Sorry, should have taken the time to note that the envelope is not from TSR (Wargamers Digest???, it has been a couple of weeks),  Came in the same envelope with a copy of Angriff (contents noted on envelope), not sure where that is now.   It was 76 or 77 though, would have to look at the postmark to be sure.

Had I known then....

Thanks again -

James

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 am 

it costs too much. Fortunately, i have a pdf copy of that :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 am 

And is your PDF copy missing pages 48 and 49?

Next