Down in the Dungeon?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

I came across this on a trip I just returned from and would like your help in identifying it, possibly even telling me what it's worth, if something???

Most of the plates have the title in the preceding page, such as this:

Down in the Dungeon was published by Squadron/Signal Publications Inc. in 1981; authors Don Greer and Rob Stern. ISBN 0-89747-116-4.  It's a series of encounters in visual form; a whole dungeon adventure represented by snapshots of the action. I included a photo of the dungeon, Zarakan's Dungeon. You also see an encounter called The Rescue. Other vignettes are included such as the orcs, and adventurer and weapon drawings. Very interesting.

The book itself is in good shape, completely bound, with only the last 10 pages or so (out of 39) having stains (I guess at some point moisture creeped into it; you can see it on the left side of the last photo). No moldy smell, maybe a little musty. I would classify it as good overall, with the interior first half very good, and the interior second half and exterior good.

Thanks for the help.

Hector.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm 

In excellent shape it is worth about $15-$20.  They aren't too difficult to find.  Its almost like an adventure book where you fill in the story from the pictures.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm 

Yes, I have a couple of them as well.

Nice little art books that tells the story of an adventuring group going through a cavern/dungeon.

And yes, the value is around cover price, perhaps $15...

All the copies that I have seen the covers are always worn and often some pages get seperated at least partly so.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 pm 

Thanks! Another good score; I bought at about $4.

:D

Hector.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:22 pm 

I hadn't heard of this book until I read this Grognardia retrospective last year:
http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... ngeon.html

Older Acaeum thread with pics from this book taken by Gnat:
about8809.html

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 pm 

It's actually a really nice item.  I've sold a couple of them over the years and never got more than $10.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 am 

It's a nice cheap book. For the most part it's a stack of pictures of encounters or monsters and pretty boring stuff, but the map itself looks pretty good and I'm sure a good DM could build a decent dungeon crawl out of it.

That seems to be what the book is all about, but I've nebver come across anyone who's actually played with the book and never seen a copy with notes in. So a spectacular failure for the publisher.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 am 

In taking another look at the text, it looks like the same text from the Conan the Barbarian movie (credits and such...).

Just a random thought...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord