Poll: Rip that wrap?

Yes 97%       97%  [ 29 ]
No 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:55 pm 

Open it. They aren't worth much and the shrinkwrap is likely to make them worth less because you can't resell and be honest about how badly the staples have rusted (these are renouned for staple rust due to the conditions large quantities of stock were kept in).

At least if you open them you can read them, and if you decide to sell you can give an honest description.

Selling these 'mint in shrinkwrap' for the most part, especially from certain sellers who know where their stock has come from, is dishonest. But then 'likely to be damaged by humidity' would damage people's chances of making a sale, so honesty isn't the best policy if you can blame a member of staff when you get called on it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm 

Heck, I bought a  cheap set of these just to get them signed by Rob at NTRPG con, why not?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:28 pm 

I bought a half dozen of these sets when they were dirt cheap and found that you could sell Garden of the Plantmasters for the same price as NKG well whole sets for on eBay. Then, when a buyer buys Plantmaster, you can ship them a few freebies, still making a profit and they are really pleased. Plantmaster on it's own is a great piece of work, often overlooked by novice collectors, and an original part of the original Castle Greyhawk when DMed by RJK. It's one one product I would love to have seen given the Bottle City treatment with an accompanying dialogue of recollections and notes on how various encounters and sections played out. A great PPP product could be produced from Garden of the Plantmasters.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm 

Garden of the Plantmaster: Campaign Resource and Adventure (Dungeons & Dragons: Kingdoms of Kalamar): Robert Kuntz: 9781889182971: Amazon.com: Books

Garden of the Plant Master  D20

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:57 pm 

TBH, I'd prefer something written by the author. Was this done by RJK, or is it a complete hatchet job like SIr Robilar's City of Brass? The reason I like BC is for the most part down to the talent with which Rob commands his prose. Given the choice between a proven author and a jobbing author, I'll take the proven author any day.

Aside... Weren't we going to see a new module from Frank Mentzer?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I bought a half dozen of these sets when they were dirt cheap and found that you could sell Garden of the Plantmasters for the same price as NKG well whole sets for on eBay. Then, when a buyer buys Plantmaster, you can ship them a few freebies, still making a profit and they are really pleased. Plantmaster on it's own is a great piece of work, often overlooked by novice collectors, and an original part of the original Castle Greyhawk when DMed by RJK. It's one one product I would love to have seen given the Bottle City treatment with an accompanying dialogue of recollections and notes on how various encounters and sections played out. A great PPP product could be produced from Garden of the Plantmasters.

My hope is to eventually publish a GotPM as part of the linking materials to Lost City of the Elders.  Who knows when that'll happen, but it would be fun! :D

mbassoc2003 wrote:TBH, I'd prefer something written by the author. Was this done by RJK, or is it a complete hatchet job like SIr Robilar's City of Brass? The reason I like BC is for the most part down to the talent with which Rob commands his prose. Given the choice between a proven author and a jobbing author, I'll take the proven author any day.

IIRC, the Kalamar GotPM is mostly a straight reprint, with some additional stuff added to shoehorn it into the Kalamar setting.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:04 pm 

grodog wrote:
My hope is to eventually publish a GotPM as part of the linking materials to Lost City of the Elders.  Who knows when that'll happen, but it would be fun! :D

I would love to see a re-publication of this under the stewardship/editorial of the original author. I can't abide these cheap ripoffs by incompetent authors bastardising someone elses work to earn a quick buck.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm 

(c/f)
faro wrote:Now $14.98 (+shipping - flat rate for multiple purchases, if you /must/ have a copy with sw intact); http://gamerati.com/loot/
(as noted on http://underdarkgazette.blogspot.com/20 ... -loot.html :))

56 in stock, it seems

==

*chuckles at 21-0 poll voting*

Make that 46 and 24-0. The 2g of iron oxide's quite possibly true as well but staples never were the best reading material, anyhow.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:20 pm 

I couldn't resist buying another set at that price.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:20 pm 

faro wrote:(c/f)

Make that 46 and 24-0. The 2g of iron oxide's quite possibly true as well but staples never were the best reading material, anyhow.

Rusted staples are like seasoning to me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm 

Garden of the Plantmaster is worth the price alone. It's in my top 10 non-TSR items.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote: The reason I like BC is for the most part down to the talent with which Rob commands his prose.

You're joking, right?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:26 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Rusted staples are like seasoning to me.

Yum... crunchy :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Previous