Battle of Helms Deep & Siege of Minas Tirith
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 am 

Hey chaps

just found these and had totally forgotten i even had them!

The Battle of Helms Deep (c) Richard Jordison 1974

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1274 ... helms-deep

and

The Siege of Minas Tirith (c) Richard Jordison 1975

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6832 ... nas-tirith

however, for any who have this/these, wondered if you could answer a few queries.

1. battle of helms deep

looking on boardgamegeek (linked above), my set has a thick white card terrain map, rather than a colour one specified in the listing there. does anyone else have that?

orange forces, 14 counters. i have 15. the spare one is a sword 5 4 unit.

green forces, 14 counters and 8 ladder counters. i have 13 counters and 8 ladder counters. the missing counter is a sword 5 4 unit (see above. interesting?)

now the last set of counters, as per the link above, is 14 purple unit counters and 4 bomb counters. i have 14 BLUE unit counters and 4 BLUE bomb counters.

interestingly, if you look at some of the pics of the minas tirith game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/248347/t ... nas-tirith

you will see now that the green counters correspond to that, leaving a spare orange counter. i think that pic is in the wrong game too. should be with the helms deep one?

anyone else got anything like this. the set IS complete, but one counter is spare it would seem and one set of counters is a different colour to the BGG link, as well as the map itself being mono, instead of colour.

2. The Siege of Minas Tirith

as per the listing, it shows the game booklet in green. well in the pics, there is a white booklet, this is the one i have, with two pics on it, one i assume is an orc head and the other a gondorian head. says something about this being an alternate rules cover?

green counters: 60

orange(ish) counters: 63

now...its a little more interesting now. have never opened the ziploc up before, so when i did.....i also found some extra counters 6 light green and 6 orange. the green ones are mouth of sauron and 5 x nazgul. the orange, prince imrahil and 5 eagle ones.

also, there was an example of play sheet with reinforcement schedule on the back. there is a sort-of product list sheet, showing the battle of helms deep and something called siege!, from fact and fantasy games.

there is also a green sheet, with rules for the battle of the slag hills and clipped to the bottom are the same unit counters i just mentioned above (6 of each). on the back of the slag hills sheet, is the map for the battle (looks like the battle in front of the black gate).

so guys....anyone care to take a stab at all of this and help me out?

want to know if all is complete first and then know if these sets (specifically the minas tirith one) are meant to be that way and then what values these two(?) sets would command, as i intend on selling them.

once again many thanks for all the help in advance!!

best

Al

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 pm 

Unfortunately I dont have either of these.  But I can tell you that Battle of the Slag Hills is a mini game that came with The Siege of Minas Tirith and should come with 12 counters.  Six green and six orange (Mouth of Sauron, 5 Nazgul, Imrahil, and 5 Eagles.  One of the eagle counters should be Gwaihir).

This site also lists the contents:
http://www.boardgame.de/reviews/minas.htm

This site also shows/lists the contents for Siege:
http://tolkienboardgamecollecting.webs. ... tirith.htm

And The Battle of Helms Deep:
http://tolkienboardgamecollecting.webs. ... msdeep.htm

Hope this helps.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:1. battle of helms deep

My Helms Deep looks like the second printing (from the link provided by King).  I have the version with the thin white counters and not the colored counters.  My map is the color version, with the colors being light brown, dark brown, blue, and black.

I agree with your supposition that the color-on-white Minas Tirith counters (as pictured on BGG) are actually the Helms Deep counters.

orange forces, 14 counters. i have 15. the spare one is a sword 5 4 unit.

Mine are red-on-white.  I have an "extra" 5-4 sword according to BGG.

green forces, 14 counters and 8 ladder counters. i have 13 counters and 8 ladder counters. the missing counter is a sword 5 4 unit (see above. interesting?)

Mine are lime-green on white.  I am "missing" a 5-4 sword unit according to BGG.

now the last set of counters, as per the link above, is 14 purple unit counters and 4 bomb counters. i have 14 BLUE unit counters and 4 BLUE bomb counters.

I am legitimately missing a bomb counter, but the 3 remaining bomb counters are blue-on-white.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 am 

actually chaps that does help quite a bit - i didnt even know there are multiple prints...pfft what do i know.

the slag hills mini game sounds right - its with the minas tirith set, so thats right and complete. excellent!

thanks guys for spending a little time looking. i will research a little more and see what else i can dig up too. waiting on a few friends messaging me back too, so hopefully that will dig up something too!

:)

Al

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am 

I've kept a half an eye of these items as I've contemplated picking up sets if I can get a good bargain. My memory may fail me, but I believe in complete good condition they can fetch well over $100 each.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I've kept a half an eye of these items as I've contemplated picking up sets if I can get a good bargain. My memory may fail me, but I believe in complete good condition they can fetch well over $100 each.

really??!! woooo :)