TSR Hex Pad 1st Print
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:56 pm 

At least I think this is a first print.

The pad has 35 sheets, no writing, no tears, no rips... the adhesive strip at top is still solid.
I would state the overall condition as Fine to Very Fine; and I think I am being tough at that.
Anyone care to offer a Rough Valuation?
I promise not to hold you to it. 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:00 pm 

I sold a few of those big poster sized hex sheets in the $50-$60 range - think I still have a couple left.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm 

At the risk of betraying my ignorance (again..), do you mean to say there were TSR-produced poster-size hex sheets? I have a double handful of the Armory ones, so far unused, and assumed they weren't worth that much. I pick them up when I see them 'cause they're getting more scarce.

EDIT: Did a quick search for the Armory sheets, and came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Armory-Stock-8203-H ... 45f9237f4e

Damn, if they go for even close to $100, I'm gonna put a few of my 7 or 8 up on eBay...

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:At the risk of betraying my ignorance (again..), do you mean to say there were TSR-produced poster-size hex sheets? I have a double handful of the Armory ones, so far unused, and assumed they weren't worth that much. I pick them up when I see them 'cause they're getting more scarce.

EDIT: Did a quick search for the Armory sheets, and came up with this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Damn, if they go for even close to $100, I'm gonna put a few of my 7 or 8 up on eBay...

Yes, there are TSR Produced poster sized Hex SHEETS, but that is not what I was asking about.

My item is the TSR Hex PAD.... 1977... Size is 8-12" x 11" Top Tearing PAD, not poster sheets...

This Acaeum has not yet seen a TSR produced Hex SHEET, or at least there has not been a scan/picture of them posted anyway.

Those are stated as being insanely rare.

As an aside, although I have seen some items of his that I would love to bid on (most being auctions, not BINed items) I would not take all the items that seller lists with BINs as being priced for a buyers market.

That said, I have no clue what the Armory Poster Sheets are worth.

Perhaps his BIN price is correct.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:10 pm 

(aside/1)
Gnat the Beggar wrote:This Acaeum has not yet seen a TSR produced Hex SHEET, or at least there has not been a scan/picture of them posted anyway.

viewtopic.php?t=9758

(aside/2)
Gnat the Beggar wrote:At least I think this is a first print.

There is a TSR in-house hex pad before the first print - I picked one up from Tim Kask's auctions - but it's unlisted here for obvious reasons: presumably at that stage it was a "test copy" for hex grid size or somesuch, and thus there's no TSR logo. Oops... :lol:

(aside/3)
Do the 2nd print sheets look the same as the 1st and if so, is it possible to tell a stripped down 2nd print from a 1st? Too many GW pads and not enough TSR ones here, sorry...
With that in mind, list is perhaps a fraction high on the 1st but $40-50+ still sounds fair "reasonable".

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:10 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:This Acaeum has not yet seen a TSR produced Hex SHEET, or at least there has not been a scan/picture of them posted anyway.

We talked about these sheets last summer - I got 5 of them with a bit lot purchase.  Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?p=156514

I posted some links to pics in the thread too.

I have a West End Games sheet too and a material one (maybe armory).  Generally I think only the TSR one is worth a bit because its TSR (and people collect TSR) and not the use of the sheet itself.  Armory hex pads and graph pads don't usually get $10 each.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm 

Faro, the listing on the Acaeums Miscelaneous stuff pages, shows Hex Pads at $149 with an UP ARROW (NM)

Hex Sheets are at $74 +/-...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm 

It looks like what you have is described here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/dm.html
and
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... expad.html

I have one of these, too, buried in the stacks and boxes of old-school greatness.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 pm 

Serian wrote:It looks like what you have is described here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/dm.html
and
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... expad.html

I have one of these, too, buried in the stacks and boxes of old-school greatness.

yes, the second link shows the pad I have.
Same as the picture I listed in my first post above.

I might be wrong, but seemed to me that some were thinking they are Hex Sheets... which they are not.

If it would not be too hard to get to, can you count the number of pages your Hex Pad has and post the number here?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:45 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Faro, the listing on the Acaeums Miscelaneous stuff pages, shows Hex Pads at $149 with an UP ARROW (NM)

Hex Sheets are at $74 +/-...

If you already know the price, why bother to ask far less REINFORCE THAT IN ALL CAPS YET AGAIN? :)

The Hex Sheets are rarer than the pads, so my brain didn't filter that out - just like there are two totally different prices on different pages for 3rd Chainmails. $149 is crazy money, IMHO.
Regardless, the 2nd should "in theory" be "worth more" (whatever money that is) /if/ it can be cut down to a 1st.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:26 pm 

For comparison sake only (different item: sheet not pad), I listed the Hex Sheets at $100 BIN on Ebay for 4 months and ended up getting 3 offers in the $50-$60 range - all from members here and all accepted.  Probably if you want more than this kind of money you will either sell it immediately or it will take a long time (try and find out?).

This type of item is really only for absolute completists - you aren't getting much nostalgia value or fun read factor and that narrows the bidding list to very few.  I doubt that you would achieve anywhere near $75+ in an open running auction.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm 

Mars wrote:For comparison sake only (different item: sheet not pad)

:lol:

Back on the hex pads, I had a check on the auction spreadsheet and spotted several losses in the $25-40 range with a couple of wins including a 3rd (still counted as a "pad" within the Acaeum text description) at $6.65. I presume those all made it through to the valuation board?

Anything much over $40-50+ still sounds "too much" /personally/ (for the hex pads) for "interest", relative frequency of appearance and vs. the "value" of a wizard character sheet pad, say. JM02c, anyhow...

Mars wrote:, I listed the Hex Sheets at $100 BIN on Ebay for 4 months and ended up getting 3 offers in the $50-$60 range - all from members here and all accepted.

Cool. Paul paid $98.64, but I'd've expected that to drop off heavily so $50-60 is still reasonable given that you declared so many at once. Probably just about the majority of the number of complete copies known! ;)
Storage for the hex /sheets/ is a pain, too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:36 pm 

This was a 1st print pad wasn't it?  Sold for $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0589176384

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm 

Was watching. *nods*

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:56 pm 

Mars wrote:This was a 1st print pad wasn't it?  Sold for $20.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

And I was VERY pleased to get them at that price.  :)

This will be my second 1st Print Hex Pad....

And I would buy another complete set at the same price any day... 8)

PM me if you have one... lets talk...  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:05 pm 

That is actually a partially used second print, I think.  The seller notes the cardboard isn't there and also that there are 37 pages.  That's 2 more than the first print is believed to have.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm 

Pipswich wrote:That is actually a partially used second print, I think.  The seller notes the cardboard isn't there and also that there are 37 pages.  That's 2 more than the first print is believed to have.

Nods, perhaps so, and yes I read that too.
I am hoping the seller mis-counted... If not, then yeah, I overpaid for a later print.
BTW: None of them had cardboard backing, so that is irrelevent for this item.

Hex Pad

First (1979?):  No cover artwork; pad simply begins with the first page.  No cardboard backing.  35 total pages.

Second:  Has a cover.  No cardboard backing. 49 total pages.

Third:  Now entitled Hex Book, and expanded to 128 pages.  No cardboard backing.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 pm 

Good luck on the count!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Next