Proof Copies of 3.0 D&D Player's Handbook and Monster Ma
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:14 pm 

I have what look like 'proof' copies of the 3.0 D&D Player's Handbook and Monster Manual.  They are photocopy quality and have paper covers.  I believe they were distributed for reviewers and the like.  Are they worth anything to collectors?  How much should I ask?

Anthony Roberson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:27 pm 

Do these have light blue covers? If so they were sent out to retailers to show their customers the new rules system. These usually go for $25-$40 each but could easily get more(haven't seen any copies come up for sale in a while).

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:50 pm 

burntwire wrote:Do these have light blue covers? If so they were sent out to retailers to show their customers the new rules system. These usually go for $25-$40 each but could easily get more(haven't seen any copies come up for sale in a while).

The only ones that I'm aware of are like burnt has stated.  They were distributed to reviewers and some gaming stores, I think.  No idea how many were distributed but I bet quite a few.  Since they are photocopies they could be duplicated, so, one has to be wary of them.  They don't always fetch a lot but if listed here they will probably do better.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:42 am 

Hmmm, my copy wasn't a photocopy, it was a bluelines copy (had the guidemarks, etc. for layout on the edges of the pages), it was plastic comb-bound, and had a clear plastic cover on it.  IIRC, that's basically one of the same pre-press editions like what Monte Cook auctioned some time ago.

Or, am I wrong and I just have a cheapo copy?  :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:31 pm 

Haven't seen one of those.  Sounds like it might have been for internal use since Monte had one.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:33 pm 

burntwire wrote:Do these have light blue covers? If so they were sent out to retailers to show their customers the new rules system. These usually go for $25-$40 each but could easily get more(haven't seen any copies come up for sale in a while).

Cool!  Thanks for the info.  I have put them up on eBay.  Here is a link for those interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5924553399

Anthony Roberson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:33 am 

dbartman wrote:Haven't seen one of those.  Sounds like it might have been for internal use since Monte had one.

I'll have to go check and see now, but it's packed in a box, so someone remind me and I'll dig it out over the weekend :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/