Plastic Mugs from Grenadier Models Presidents Collection
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm 

I got this a while back, but knew what it was when the package arrived, so I simply set it aside for examination later on.
Embarrassingly enough, I just got it out again and opened it up today.

So, what do you folks think these are worth as a complete set?
With the Certificate of Authenticity of course.

Keep this in mind:
This set is Unique in that it is without question the ONLY complete set anywhere.
There were only four sets created and the other three sets were broken up as folks who worked for Grenadier Models at the time just grabbed what they wanted.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:53 pm 

Mugs are a bit of curiosity.  Even though this set is rare, it is Grenadier so you are looking for a miniatures collector which is a much smaller group than D&D RPG collectors.  The TSR and GenCon mugs are also rare (not as rare but still very hard to find) and even though these appeal to a larger collection crowd generally sell for $10-$25.  I think I paid $10 each for two TSR mugs I have.

I would probably guess that if you listed it on Ebay for open bidding, it would go for $50-$150.  But there are some crazy miniature guys out there who pay $100 for a single small figure so a BIN would probably be a better way to go and ask maybe $200-$250.

What you need are the matching minis painted up similar to their depiction on each mug :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 pm 

So the picture on each mug corresponds to a particular Grenadier mini? Are the corresponding figures all from one set, or just individually sold figures?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Last edited by Zenopus on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm 

I think this set is worth holding onto till better days.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm 

"Presidents Collection"? I vote for the Thief.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:45 pm 

Can you confirm this?  Is it on the Certificate of Authenticity?

Gnat the Beggar wrote:This set is Unique in that it is without question the ONLY complete set anywhere.
There were only four sets created and the other three sets were broken up as folks who worked for Grenadier Models at the time just grabbed what they wanted.

Pretty nifty little items regardless.  I think you should bring them to our next game so we can all drink out of them.  Just let Mike have the Unicorn cup.  You know how much he likes pink.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 am 

Zenopus wrote:So the picture on each mug corresponds to a particular Grenadier mini? Are the corresponding figures all from one set, or just individually sold figures?

I have no idea and any guess would be pure speculation on my part, but see below.
I can gather from the letter, that the Mugs were NOT asked for by Grenadier or anything like that.
I think the Plastics Company was likely hoping to do something along those lines.
My Guess? Basically the Plastics Company was fishing for a nice big contract with a new client, or at least another avenue for mass production.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Can you confirm this?  Is it on the Certificate of Authenticity?
Pretty nifty little items regardless.  I think you should bring them to our next game so we can all drink out of them.  Just let Mike have the Unicorn cup.  You know how much he likes pink.  :lol:

Yes, the wording "Only Four Sets of Ten Mugs were made" was stated in the Certificate of Authenticity and he went on to note that this is likely the only complete set and why he thinks so.

The Plastics Company that made the sets was hoping to get a contract with Grenadier for a line of products and the Mugs were sent to Grenadier as part of the enticement process.

The Authentication Certificate was written and signed by the president of Grenadier Models and this was one of the four sets which he had set aside back in the day when they were made.
He no longer wanted to store them so he sold them directly to me.

All of the other three sets were handed out as individual pieces to employees of Grenadier not long after they were obtained from the company that made them.
That is why some folks might have one or two of these cups, but I doubt anyone else has all ten and the Authentication Certificate is certainly unique.

I can tell they have been stored in the open for a long time though, as they all have varying amounts of dust and dirt inside.
I do not know if they are machine washable either and truthfully I do not think it would be wise to try that.
I might just let them soak in warm soapy water for a little bit then wipe them out and restore them.

Until we drink out of them at the next gaming session that is.  :lol:
I think Mike would have no problems drinking from the Unicorn mug, while slaying our PCs with Fire breathing Ancient Red Dragons...  8O

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 am 

The set of Mugs has been sold to another Acaeum Member....