Dungeons and Dragons Neon Sign
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm 

A guy I know has listed this neon sign for sale and wants me to make an offer on it-the trouble is that I've never seen it anywhere and can't find it on eBay.
Anyone have any idea what it's worth? I think it's one of those "dealer promos"

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm 

flyingmelon wrote:A guy I know has listed this neon sign for sale and wants me to make an offer on it-the trouble is that I've never seen it anywhere and can't find it on eBay.
Anyone have any idea what it's worth? I think it's one of those "dealer promos"
[ Image ]

To be honest this looks like a fake and not one produced by WotC.   I have noticed a couple people on Ebay selling this kind of stuff with whatever logo on them they think they can sell.  This particular style looks familiar as one those so I don't think the guy selling you this ever had the rights to produce it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:30 pm 

To be honest this looks like a fake and not one produced by WotC. I have noticed a couple people on Ebay selling this kind of stuff with whatever logo on them they think they can sell. This particular style looks familiar as one those so I don't think the guy selling you this ever had the rights to produce it.

It's possible-but it does light up and he said he purchased it from Wizards in 2009
I'll think about it.

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:34 pm 

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z230632297

Looks like the exact same picture to me.  :lol:
Page linked above offers another picture of the sign turned on.

The add you found perhaps?
In his shoes, I would definately have listed it on E-Bay...
A LOT more folks to see it.

Even if this is not an officially authorized item, I think it is pretty cool looking.
If I could afford it, I would proudly hang it in my gameroom...  8)

I hope you get it for a good price.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 pm 

flyingmelon wrote:It's possible-but it does light up and he said he purchased it from Wizards in 2009
I'll think about it.

I'm sure it works but I think it was made by someone who did not have license to do so - i.e. its not an official D&D item but rather a knock off.  I could be wrong and the thing is legit but I remember seeing one seller on Ebay who had the same style and was selling a bunch of others too.

* as a note, the same seller on Kijiji classifies books with wear and hints of staple rust as "Mint".  Mint is defined by the seller as being "the best copies that he thinks you will find".  I tried to buy his OCE Whitebox but he thinks its worth about $400 or so because of its mintyness.  At least now he is saying there is some damage to the box - last time it was Mint as well.

EDIT: to be honest, with the brief exchange I had with him on grading books and condition, I wouldn't take his word that it was bought from WotC.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm 

I would not buy this one as original.  I own two of the one this is based upon.  One was purchased from the store where it was hanging.  The other was purchased from a store with some other display they never used.  It is in it's original box from WOTC.  I have one hanging in my game room and just went out to check because something didn't ring true.

The version I know is original has a WOTC logo in the bottom left hand corner.  It also has an etched frosted surface decoration that looks nice when lit up.  The & sign is etched as are some other details.  I think I recall the one in it's box actually indicated to total number that were made and there were not actually many.  I have seen four that I believe are original on Ebay since I started collecting.  The ones I did not buy were about $200 each.

I don't know that this is a knock off, but I would not pay much at all until I confirmed this is not a generic knock off from China.  When I get a chance I will shoot a photo of one lit up for comparison.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:19 pm 

I have a similar sign I am trying to find info on. It was made by Carmanah signs, and it is official WOTC. I got this from a defunct store, along with many books, and some World of Warcraft stuff. It's dimensions are 24" wide x 10.5" tall. Backlit etched glass and print under plexi. Does anyone know which year, and for which promotion this came out for?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:38 pm 

That's the updated 3.0/3.5 logo, so, sometime after 2000.

Zenfinite

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:47 pm 

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:22 pm 

gaziltapig wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Neon Sign:I have a similar sign I am trying to find info on. It was made by Carmanah signs, and it is official WOTC. I got this from a defunct store, along with many books, and some World of Warcraft stuff. It's dimensions are 24" wide x 10.5" tall. Backlit etched glass and print under plexi. Does anyone know which year, and for which promotion this came out for?

I have been looking for this sign for a while.  Let me know if anyone has one they will part with!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum