High Fantasy - Jeff Dillow, Fantasy Productions, 1978
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 am 

Hello,

I've been looking for input on the value of what I believe is a 1st edition of an old rpg called High Fantasy, and I was hoping someone here might be acquainted with it.  I did get 1 nice response from a different board, but am looking for reassurance before I do something I might regret.  

This is a 1978 RPG, 8 1/2"x11" in size, stapled booklet/pamphlet.  I have been unable to find a sales price at eBay, rubylane, etc., for this particular version.

Any thoughts?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 am 

Obviously a rarer early print, in apparently pretty good condition, and I would guess it might go for around $100, maybe more.  I'm not an expert on High Fantasy, though.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 am 

This is the 1st print. Very rare. The last one on ebay went for $177.50 but includes a Dillow signature.

** expired eBay auction **

This one would sold for less but certainly more than $100. Perhaps around $130-150. Do you plan to ebay it? :D

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 am 

I had an offer for $150 from a different board, but maybe I should eBay it, open it up at, say $100, and see if there is any interest.  The only mark on it was from where a price sticker was removed, just beneath the title.  

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Hmmm, I wonder if Jeffrey Dillow lives around Indianapolis, where this was published, maybe I could get it autographed, lol.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am 

Actually, the previous copy was from a friend of Dillow, who played with him back in late 70's. This copy was given directly by Jeffrey to him and he autographed it. I guess that this increase significantly the value, being a piece of High Fantasy history.

$150 is a rather good price. I am not sure you would get it on ebay, but you could get much if you post it in classified when you list it on ebay. The last copy didn't get good advertising and only few people spotted it.

I hope you will list it, I will certainly put a bid ;)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:01 pm 

If you are going to start it at a high price you might as well start it at $150

The chances with ebay are that if you start it at $100, then $100 is all you may get. Start it at $150 and you can always lower your price if it doesn't sell. Start it at $100 and if it sells for $100 you can never raise that price.

Of course this depends on whether you want maximum value or a quick sale. For a quick sale start the price low and take the gamble.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm 

I am pretty sure that there is more chance to go over $150 (or at least to sold for $150) if starting price is $100 (even less, I would suggest $50) than if the starting price is set to $150, which would definitely scared all bidders. Most of huge bidders will never place a bid on such a so high starting price but will bid over this in the last seconds of the auction.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I am pretty sure that there is more chance to go over $150 (or at least to sold for $150) if starting price is $100 (even less, I would suggest $50) than if the starting price is set to $150, which would definitely scared all bidders. Most of huge bidders will never place a bid on such a so high starting price but will bid over this in the last seconds of the auction.

My experience is that with ebay the more likely scenario is to get less. With a high starting bid you only need 1 bidder, not 2 or more to get into a bidding war. If there is already an offer of $150 then starting the bid at $100 is simply gambling.

If it were me I'd start it at $200 and offer it as a bin. BIN's cost .50c a month or $6 a year. But why anyone would start an auction $50 lower than an existing offer (or $100 lower) makes absolutely no sense to me unless the seller wants a quick return. He'd do better to just take the $150 now and avoid the ebay/paypal fees (about $20 wortth of fees at that level).

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:52 am 

oldgamer wrote:I had an offer for $150 from a different board, but maybe I should eBay it, open it up at, say $100, and see if there is any interest.

Personally, I'd open it up to offers here via the Classifieds for a week, then if nothing comes in, take the $150. Thats a given, anything via ebay gets gouged and you may not make that.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 am 

I think this new novel calls for the resurrection of this old thread  :)

** expired eBay auction **

(Edit: Actually didn't notice this was in the appraisal forum, I'll post it to non-TSR)